Got a BA in English

>Got a BA in English
>Didn't get a job
>Humiliating internships with little to no pay
>Some having the balls to ask for money to intern
>Get into welding engineering instead
>Way more jobs
>Cruel and grueling work
>Love of arts is destroyed, start hating academia, intelligentsia, and the "leisure class" of educators and those involved with liberal arts education
>Now a vulgar snub-nosed prole devoid of any sensibility

Do you know this feel Veeky Forums?

This is exactly what I would feel if I could not leech on my parents.

I'm sorry user

shit is the job market this bad for humanities majors? I'm fucked lol

yes, except I didn't go the college and I come from a prole family. you can still kindle a love the arts though, its just pop-brow won't appeal to you anymore. try reading "this sporting life" or ted hughes. plenty of proles writing about the condition.

That's what you get for being born with any marketable practical or intellectual skills, and choosing to get a degree that isn't either.

I got a history degree, but at least I made it 'marketable' by combining it with a degree in French and German, and by specializing in the history of international relations. Now I am employed in diplomacy with experience in foreign policy and diplomatic consultancy.

TL;DR: skilled people will always find a good job, regardless of their degree or lack thereof.

Dude thats the way the game works, you start in the shit and work your way up.
Yeah obviously you can earn more welding now but twenty years down the line those people who chose to eat shit in the internships will have cushy high paying jobs while you're working your ass off.

It aint great ngl

>expect to immediately get a high-paying job with a lot of responsibility when he has no work-experience and came right out of college

You need this humbling experience because you're an entitled little shit

>BA in English with a writing emphasis
>after college i've worked retail, call center, sales support, database reporting, nonprofit, event marketing, more retail, shipping industry
>some day jobs are better than others
>but all that matters is i'm still writing, working on my book

moar
:(

>writing while full on wagecucking

Just go NEET man

Aren't you afraid that you'll get shot?

>Be born upper middle class in a proudly blue collar area
>Read Huysman as a youth, quickly become a decedent aesthetically minded pedantic
>Self educate and reject the vulgarities of the protestant work ethic
>Aspire to a life of leisure and artistic endeavor
>The people I grew up around gets certificates in various blue collar professions and start to develop a weird mixture of self satisfied arrogance for earning more than me and jealous envy of my cultivated intellectual mystique
>End up making more than them without even going to university by virtue of the fact that my thorough genealogical research into the nature of morality and culture, and naturally patrician air gives me the moral fortitude to guiltlessly lie on my resume

Egads OP, stop spooking yourself. The fact that you've even gone to university already means about half of blue collar workers despise you.

Really the only careers worth following are those into government or the military. Everything else is just the humdrum white noise of history.

The working class is just as pretentious as the leisure class, they're just pretentious about being work horses, which if we're going to be completely honest, is a stupid thing to be pretentious about.

>muh jeeehbs
If you need to "work" you shouldn't even be considered human, get out of my face you sub-human scum.

Why would you get a BA in English? It's not a requirement to write and you can learn anything they'd teach, yourself. I mean, fuck, look up a list of the most celebrated authors and see how many have "writing qualifications"

That's like saying

>I want to make spaghetti, better go enroll in a culinary school

Maybe he wanted to understand the meaning and significance of various writers and periods throughout the canon.
Maybe he wouldn't be on this board today if he didn't and would be whingeposting about feminists on /r9k/ instead

>get GED at 17 because I had been expelled from high school twice and spent most of my teens institutionalized or alone
>do a year of college, but I have no goals, study habits, or social skills so I drop out even though I was getting by
>get comfy job driving forklift
>have a relationship that ends in restraining order
>drinking intensifies
>constantly on edge to the point where I have ground down my enamel and the tips of my teeth and have a permanent scowl
>coworkers nicknamed me "butcher"
Now start Crime and Punishment and you'll get an idea where this is heading. Or maybe not, I'm not sure what's going on in my mind.

I bet you watch wrestling fgt

If you can't do both you shouldn't do either

>love of arts ruined by welding
Be humble and gain perspective

That's a strange thing to assume. But no, I don't.

>a list of the most celebrated authors and see how many have "writing qualifications"

Dipshit, looking at the Veeky Forums top ten, six of them studied English and/or other Languages in University.

I'm going to give you the best advice you'll ever get, and I hope you'll follow it.

Move to the country and get a job working on a farm.

I won't bother explaining why because I doubt I even can, but just do it. It will make you into a new person.

What do you mean?

i wouldn't have anything to write about if i'd spent all my time in my parents' basement

It's my current 5-10 year goal to buy some land in Montana or Alaska or wherever and basically try to be a subsistence farmer/hunter gatherer. The biggest things holding me back are (besides myself and my bad habits as well as inexperience) moving away from my family and that I have a love/hate relationship with the city. It's degrading working and living in it, the people are horrible to look at and talk to, there's crime, squalor and decay everywhere, but it's interesting. I definitely need some kind of sabbatical in the wilderness or a simpler life though.

I pity your existence that you should believe this oh poor wagecuck

i've lived a full life my friend. neetdom doesn't fit my personality, even if i had the parental money for it.

Name one thing you've learned living the NEET life. I'm sure you're some autist who thinks getting lost in your imagination 18 hours a day is the peak of human experience, but unless you're a sponger on the aristocracy, you will have no new or interesting experiences living a NEET lifestyle and you will be forced to regurgitate what you read in a new way, and hope nobody can piece together your influences and call you out for being a hack.

>Name one thing you've learned living the NEET life

This is the dilemna of the allegory of the cave my friend. I have had such metaphysical insights and divine experiences during my periods of prolonged isolated reflection that I only wish I could impart to you but I'm afraid would take great time and explanation to break through your little socialized imagination of the world.
I wish you only the best of luck in freeing yourself from your self enslavement.

>>Read Huysman as a youth, quickly become a decedent aesthetically minded pedantic

aka you read Huysmans work and didn't even understand it.

Nice.

congratulations, you're a real man now.
on the plus side, you might actually write something good now you've achieved that status.
>not ironic in the slightest, OP, trust me.

not that guy, but just because you're NEET doesn't mean you have to stay cooped up in a basement. I went backpacking for a few months while NEET and had some of the most amazing experiences of my life in that short time. if not for student loans, I would still be doing that.

I honestly just feel anyone who would label themselves that way has nothing to contribute. Yeah, you can take a little vacation and pretend you're experienced because you're middle class, we get it. Just try to have experiences in your surrounding area that are outside of your comfort zone. I'm sure your backpacking was super deep and all, but I'm also sure you learned nothing.

And what the fuck have you learned during banal labor?
"Experience" is just an ideological construct of the purest kind. Truth is anything can be framed as worthless experience or a profound experience because its nothing to do with the position you were in itself. Its how you creatively produce it from your own interpretation. Whether you're in solitary confinement or some high flying job you're going to come out with everything or nothing simply from how you apply your thoughts.

will die in the woods/10

Yep, spot on

It isnt literature per say, but every shit cunt involved in it. I'm honestly meant with contempt despite being the working class prole they are fighting to save with their arm chair revolution or in the case of the students trying to emulate for no apparent reason until they get a job they were always destined to have thanks to their safs upper middle class connections

Fucks sake, can't even get a shit industrial job and drink myself to death because all the factories have shut down

this. CF: Knooot Hamsun

Two things I have learned through "banal labor": the plight of sisyphus, and the lives of my coworkers. I don't know why, but people I work with are happy to tell me their problems, or they treat me like I'm invisible and they talk about anything they want to other people. I had two people talk about (in front of me) how someone they didn't know they both knew had committed suicide and how they felt about it. There is plenty to learn from a blue collar job besides skills.

You think the Sisyphusean plight isn't experienced by office workers too? I am a datacuck and every day, at every hour, I feel the boulder weighing on my back.

I definitely don't deny how horrible office work is. Personally, I could never do that and have never done that, so I just don't really think about it.

If you're living in a first world country and don't have any dependents you should kill yourself.

You act like you're living in England during the industrial revolution or something. Boo fucking hoo, if you don't have any certificates or education you might have to settle for 15$ an hour. That's still a guarantee of comfortable mediocrity, and its not like countless opportunities don't exist to advance in society.

But worst of all is how fucking arrogant you are about being a total loser. If you've got a BA in English you've really got zero right to sling around the word middle class like it's an insult, or to act like some sort of oppressed feudal peasant, when it's entirely your fault you wasted those four years of your life without having any plan of what you're going to do when you get out.

>>Love of arts is destroyed, start hating academia, intelligentsia, and the "leisure class" of educators and those involved with liberal arts education

same

i still watch anime though because all the women in my area are obese, and i require a substitute for human affection

>never done grunt work on an actual farm before

Yeah because walking through rice fields 80 hours a week killing snakes and building levees is great.

My main complaint is that you still have to pay property taxes (not to mention hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses) if you want to check out of society. I also feel like that second paragraph was directed at my posts, and you're way off the mark. Not to mention what you said about how there are opportunities to advance in society... speaking for myself, I don't kiss ass and I don't compromise for the sake of compromising. Tell me what high echelon
job I can get without being a savant.

Didn't kill me the first three times!

I'm not particularly accepted in any middle class realms, nor have much opportunity for education or advancement. I will likely inherit slim off my parents just like they did from there parents only after they become a burden on me. I often find it difficult to obtain work locally because my high school gives away where I'm from being a very working class area. I'm not complaining about this, this has happened for centuries. I'm complaining about the fact I can't even make a shit living from menial labour anymore, my labour in this day and age isnt even worth being exploited

>BA in history
>Married doctor
>lived happily ever after

>BA in English
Fuck dude, you could have at least gotten a degree in Political Science. That way you could sell your research skills along with a general knowledge of statistics.

Where did OP say his/her goal was to become a writer?

You are painfully American.

Maybe it's that picture, but seems to me this would make a good story, with the disappointed protagonist ultimately turning to fascism- 'Whenever I hear 'culture'... I remove the safety from my Browning'.

Go teach English in Laos or Thailand.
Cheap hookers but wear a rubber because aids is still a things.
Cheap heroin too. But just snort don't inject it. That way you won't get addicted.

Graduated with a BA in English
Never worked a day
NEET living for last year (and essentially the four years of the BA preceding that)
Money running out, lots of debt
What do I do?

UBER/Driving old people to doctors appointments.

>tfw I live in glorious Sweden and can study whatever bullshit I want with the state paying me 400$/month as well as being able to take 800$/month rent-free loans that can be payed back after 25 years.

>>working

>love of arts destroyed by not being able to work in the arts
sorry user, but you were a prole from the start.

Teach English abroad

>Be 14 (years ago), look at world
>16 = start trade school
>18 = graduate, get full-time job at diesel mechanic, make coin
>21, now = Gold Circle supporter of the opera; Conductor's Circle supporter of the symphony; Sponsor of the art museum
>Spend my time off with good music, good art, or reading good books
>During the week it is wrenches, grease, and country music
Academia deserves contempt since the majority of them are in academia to avoid leaving school

>Be a welder
>Can't enjoy art anymore

Sounds like you weren't into art in the first place and only liked the allure that pretending to be artsy gave you.

Or are you just weak willed?

I didn't get a god damn degree in English, but all throughout my academic career I was commended for my writing. Poetry, essays, etc.

I stopped going to school. A year ago I got a job at a local woodworking shop and let me tell you, nothing hardens you like really a physically demanding job. Day in, day out, 8 am to 5 pm.

Trying carrying lumber back and forth from shop to warehouse all day, jointing 40 8x4 boards of red oak. Red oak is not light wood.

I don't know about it snuffing out my sensibilities, but what it did do is introduce me to a new way of life, reassured me of what I wanted to do, what I found satisfying.

There is something honest, even meditative, about manual labor.

>getting BA in english at ivy league
>graduating magna cum laude in 2 weeks cause i'm not a brainlet
>have job offers from google, goldman sachs, and bain consulting (among others)
>set to make 200k starting

anyone else know this feel?

I become more artistic whenever Im not doing art

>having sex with asians

What sort of pathetic nu-male are you?

The kind who browses /pol/ and /r9k/
Oh wait

Any thought that you may have just not been completely willing to engage with the career and had unrealistic expectations for your own worth? This isn't meant to be condescending sounding, but....pointed questioning I guess.

>implying goldman touch non-stem majors

bain hahaha mckinsey and bcg both shit on those jews

And your life will be infinitely more fulfilling and worthful than that of most writers.

>people continuing to assume OP wanted to be a writer
Seriously, what's going on here? Do you guys think everyone who studies literature seriously wants to write it? This shit makes no sense to me.

I think its a lot of people who have come to Veeky Forums assuming everyone's a narcissist with conceptions to gift the world with their unique, bitter perspective and they assume this is all that English or studying English entails.

>Grow up blue collar
>Be talented and athletic in high school
>Love art
>Get great deal at elite university to study art
>Think Im not getting anything out of the classes
>Why am I wasting time studying what I can do on my own?
>What would I ever do with this degree? Get MFA? Teach?
>Crash and burn and drop out
>Work as carpenter for a couple years
>Love it but want to do more
>Decide to apply at state university
>Figure on studying math because it seems like a 'practical' art form
>End up entering PhD program and academic lifetrack anyways

I've come to the not so groundbreaking conclusion that if you have a attitude that leads to hard work and personal improvement, no matter what you will end up doing what you are meant to do.

I actually agree with this. When you're out working you meet people and experience new things.i feel way more inspired when at work than when at home.

This. Road trip around North America and backpacking throughout SEA. Still no social skills or deep insight. Climbed the worlds highest pass, got skinnier, split finger banged a crazy girl who might have been a CIA agent. Learned that I like to hike and read books and have money.
Then become cook. Decided that only social relationships are interesting and so pursue a social life. Try to be open. Attain relationship. Relationship ends badly. Still have not learned much.

Am now somewhere between the feeling of imposing my will on people as a capitalist, or reconciling myself to some quiet worship of secular values while helping others. Possibly joining Navy, then slowly pursuing law.

Basically a slow process of smelting a perfect iron fist.

let me translate this

>grow up in upper middle class
>play highschool football as quarterback
>occasionally read a book (Harry Potter was my favorite when I was 16)
>enroll in university
>lack of focus, too much partying going on around me
>grades plummet, but I dont want this major anyway
>give up, feel bad because I realize I was not so smart as I thought
>work for my father for a while
>it pays the bills, but my pride is still wounded. I'm smart okay
>apply at state university
>I'm good at math, it does not require any critical thinking
>end up getting PhD place in mediocre university after dropping out at good university for being a lazy slug

well, I can tell all of you that as long as you work hard, you will get at my level (that is, a PhD candidate in a mediocre uni).

Is welding engineering as comfy as it sounds

Doesn't sound comfy at all.

For the record, all of your assumptions about myself are incorrect. But thats fine.

However,
>math does not require any critical thinking
What? Before reading this I would have had trouble imagining anyone being so ignorant?

Do you study something that requires a herculean amount of critical thinking? Maybe lesbian dance theory?

>Really the only careers worth following are those into government or the military
thanks Spengler.

>Business majors who are beavering away in college on accounting and finance in hopes of becoming the next Lloyd Blankfein might like to know that the original Lloyd Blankfein was a history major long before he ran Goldman Sachs.

>Not to mention what you said about how there are opportunities to advance in society... speaking for myself, I don't kiss ass and I don't compromise for the sake of compromising

If that's how you see showing up on time, doing a decent job, and not being insufferable the entire time then really I don't know what to tell you.

Your parents aren't a burden on you yet. Have you considered moving to a city or someplace with good economic prospects? You could drop 50$ on a bus and go somewhere were nobody knows your name or gives a fuck about your highschool, change your resume to say you went to "McKenly Prep School for the Scientifically Gifted" or whatever, and exaggerate the hell out of whatever work experience you do have.

I mean, I guess I'm just an upper middle class bourgeoisie tool who doesn't understand your struggle, but that's how I've gotten work, not by parental connections.

>End up entering PhD program and academic lifetrack anyways
Have you actually looked at the 'academic lifetrack'? Afaik there's vanishingly few real job opportunities and even people from elite universities have terrible chances of getting tenure.

>That way you won't get addicted
I know from personal experience that this isnt true

...oh wait, you're doing maths? Probably not such an issue then, although I still wouldn't bet on ending up in academia.

>>I'm good at math, it does not require any critical thinking

what did he mean by this

You realize this used to be the norm, and there's nothing entitled or misguided about it? College was pushed on two generations with the promise of advancement.

how did you earn money without that (((spook))) my man?

what's being a diplomat like?

I am an a decent program with a history of good placement so I'm not too worried about job prospects.

If I was getting a degree in say, history, then I'd be worried. Seems almost impossible to get a position in a field like that.

who here is getting the best of both worlds? I'm about to finish my architecture schooling and my dad is a contractor building houses. I'm gonna design the homes and learn from him so I can get my contracting licence and end up designing and building my own buildings which I'll eventually sell for an enormous profit discounting architectural and contracting fees. No clients to deal with, I get to really impose my visions and ideas, and I will learn what really goes into the building I'm designing

>>I'm good at math, it does not require any critical thinking
t. social sciences major

id know the feel but instead im a berniebro and still blame responsible people like you

haha fucking retard what did you think a BA in english would get you

you're literally a fucking greeting card writer LMAO

Should've gone for that MA, user.

Being employed in diplomacy doesn't make you a diplomat, he could be a translator or doing monkey research work

Should I get a Master's degrees in English or Information Sciences?
Being a librarian/archivist/researcher sounds kind of neat.
t. lazy and unemployable English BA

A bit unrelated, but would it be possible for me as a 20 year old American with no prospects at the moment to study psychoanalysis?

I don't even know where I would began or if there's any school that would consider accepting me.

"Cultivated intellectual mistique" has to be the most self serving, unaware sentence ever written on the Internet. Congrats that's actually pretty impressive, I couldn't come up with that line even if I was trying to sound like the worst human alive.

That's the paradox of social/physical isolation: you have the rare opportunity in life to allow your thoughts to be 100% abstract, 100% of the time. This brings many great relevations and insights. However there is no way to tell if you're on to something or just endlessly committing mental masterbation due to isolation. Alone you have the best thoughts, and alone you lose the best thoughts. Wish my stream of conscious had a record feature so I could go back and build on previous thinkings

Sometimes i'd feel more fulfilled making Christmas cards with the mentally ill

i don't think that's a degree