Why does stupid glassware exist?

Round bottom flask, volumetric flask, condenser jacket, etc

How are any of those stupid designs?

Florence flasks exist, volumetric flasks are inherently stupid, and because cooling is limited by fouriers law there is no reason to have specialty meme condensors.

>Florence flasks
they're kind of the same, m8. So what you're actually angry about is the use of the term "round-bottom flask"
>volumetric flask
why?
>fouriers law
explain

so if there's ever an argument you can just smash a piece and use it as a shiv.

How you gonna measure shit properly in a Florence flask?

>explain
In a condenser cooling is limited by the temperature differential and the material and amount that the heat is conducted through. Meme condensors don't solve the problem of coef of expansion, and it doesn't matter what is outside of the tube, so there is no reason to have the condenser be made of glass. It is just pointless, the only thing that matters is the interior of the condenser.

>Florence
Yeah, except one doesn't require me to get a stand.

I'm not a savage, by weight.

>so there is no reason to have the condenser be made of glass
To clarify, I mean the entire condenser assembly.

>measuring volume by weight

>condenser
What material do you propose? Glass is not only used for heat conduction, it's also used because of its transparency and, nonreactivity and ease of cleaning compared to most other materials. The entire reason why glasswares exist in the first place.
>Florence
Florence flask OFTEN have a flat bottom. Not all of them do. Round bottom flasks are also much broader in scope. Some of them have three necks instead of one. There's also the fact that if you're heating shit, it's going to end up being held by the neck or the body. A small price to pay for more even heating.

>it's also used because of its transparency and, nonreactivity and ease of cleaning compared to most other materials. The entire reason why glasswares exist in the first place.
Yes. But that doesn't matter. Either way there will be glass between the coolant and the who gives a shit what. What I'm saying is that there is no reason for what contains the coolant to be glass. There is no reason why it can't be a simple glass tube separated from a plastic tube by some orings.

>A small price to pay for more even heating.
The difference in geometry is minimal and the impact on heating should be negligible. If you actually need even heating, then you're going to be using a stir bar/stir piece anyway.

A singular construction guarantees no leaks so the coolant container itself needs to be made of glass as a consequence. O-rings are just asking for trouble. Also, plastic isn't as clear as glass.

yea man, that shit carried me though analytical chemistry. Graded on the accuracy of our measurements, so eyeballing shit was not the way to get the A.

>plastic isn't as clear as glass.
Neither is flowing water. And you don't get around that without an annulus. I could understand jacketed condensers if they were built like that.

>O-rings are just asking for trouble.
Step 1. Before assembly into system, test with double the calculated flow.
Step 2. See any leaks or massive sprays of water? If no, then you're good. If yes, check the orings.
Step 3. If the orings are good, stop being incompetent.

>needing to waste time trying to fit orings and tubes together
Singular construction is more convenient. Orings and plastic tubes offer no significant advantage other than cost.

Look, until DMLS technology advances to the point that it can be used on borosilicate powder and produce a seamless flush end product, cost will be the concern of everyone who isn't a labtech.

I've used condensers before and they were the types that used coils to carry the gas that needs to be condensed. They were pretty clear once the entire thing was filled with water, and this was running directly from a tap at full blast.

That's my point.

volumetric flasks are extremely accurate and it would be very expensive to create a graduated cylinder with the same accuracy. round bottom flasks are pretty good for doing oil baths in.condenser jackets cool down the inside

Is it really even that expensive, though. Universities regularly hand them to undergrads. If they were prohibitively expensive, then universities would have started demanding something akin to your cheaper design, you should actually patent the thing. However, the point still stands, the choice of glass isn't due to the need for some sort of good heat conduction. Tap water is usually cold enough on its own to be used for most applications that you would need a laboratory condenser for.

How so? They are calibrated by weight.
The expense comes from the accuracy of the weighing used to calibrate. The process is not inherently expensive, so adding 0.1ml of weight and adding another mark should be negligibly expensive.
Either way, the accuracy is limited to that of the eye, so the level of precision that volumetric flasks are at is basically meaningless.

"you break it, you buy it"

>the choice of glass isn't due to the need for some sort of good heat conduction.
My point about fourier's law was that the interior design was the only thing that mattered.

>"you break it, you buy it"
Unversities like to grow, though. They still need to buy the equipment as the student population increases.
>My point about fourier's law was that the interior design was the only thing that mattered.
which leads to your main point that condenser jackets have no need to be made out of glass

>Unversities like to grow, though. They still need to buy the equipment as the student population increases.
Fair points, but I am not familiar with any university that has its budget properly managed. When I said everyone who isn't a labtech, I mainly meant those who use glassware in a non-commercial capacity. No, it's not code for drugs.

>which leads to your main point that condenser jackets have no need to be made out of glass
Yeah, so why are you bringing up the attributes of things that aren't the jacket?