I got into Chemistry Berkeley PhD program. What am I in for?

I got into Chemistry Berkeley PhD program. What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

curi.us/1965-by-any-means-necessary-a-violent-marxist-cult
reddit.com/r/berkeley/comments/3t9snr/bamn_is_literally_a_cult_that_brainwashes_young/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwfTPqn5kc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a college education

A high school level education in chemistry.

You're going to learn something.

The messiest department in existence. At my company, everyone from Berkeley is a fucking slob and I'm amazed they all don't have cancer.

Commies, hippies, faggots, trannies, feminazis, anarchists, vegans, niggers, low T betas, #BLM, BAMN cultists, dude weed lmao

Bamn?

Probably going to be living in low tier living conditions compared to other graduate students nationwide. Berkeley is expensive to live in and there stipend is quite below average when living costs are taken into account.

Also I would like to add, if I was I charged of hiring, I would refuse to hire anyone from Berkeley because they are all walking safety hazards.

I have feeling you'll be attending lots of useless meetings with people who know nothing about your research interests, and marking irrelevant bullshit assignments 90% of the time - all while slowly going more and more into the red.

Do you really have to go to Berkeley? Any other options? Why Berkeley? What is your research of interest.

a bunch of whining minorities and a degree that will make you what a trade certificate would

Also what professor are you interested in?

I'm an undergrad here. I'll confirm that the commie stuff is bad if you're an undergrad, but it's bad at every good school. It's just that we have a reputation for it here. I know nobody in the graduate math department who is that way, nor do I know anyone in the grad chem department like that (but i'm not quite as familiar)
I think that most of the stuff in this thread comes from people who have never set foot on the school, and everything that you hear is incredibly overblown. Give it a visit. The Chem department is fucking wonderful here.
This is just patently false. Berkeley grad students are some of the most organized people I've ever met. NOT fucking undergrads. Are you referring to them?
Berkeley grad students are well adjusted adults unlike grad students from any other remotely good school, because it's so difficult to get consistent cheap housing in the Bay Area and the school gives you so much unstructured freedom that essentially boils down to "how much can I screw with the bureaucracy?" that you would never survive a PhD here without a heavy dose of financial and organizational maturity.

curi.us/1965-by-any-means-necessary-a-violent-marxist-cult
reddit.com/r/berkeley/comments/3t9snr/bamn_is_literally_a_cult_that_brainwashes_young/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwfTPqn5kc

Its true these are PhDs that graduated One for example is from the Long group. The mother fuckers leaves needles all over the hood, thermo couples everywhere. Just this Friday the asshat left a note hose attacked to the schlenck line lying in a puddle of nitric acid that he spilled. We have three other people like this from that fucking place. No more ever again.

>I got into the a PhD program at Berkeley for chemistry.

>so much unstructured freedom that essentially boils down to "how much can I screw with the bureaucracy?" that you would never survive a PhD here without a heavy dose of financial and organizational maturity

That sounds fantastic, and somehow not like freedom at all. It rings of truth.

i did not mean freedom in the positive sense, necessarily, rather in the sense that there is a heavy lack of structure. My TAs talk a lot about how much more they have to do for themselves with regard to daily logistics and organizing than their friends at spoonfeeder schools like ivys.
i have no clue what you're on about with regard to "it rings of truth," i think it's just a public school thing. It may sound negative but I think it's a good thing because it prepares grad students for working in any context, whether academia, lab research, or industry. Of course, I'm mostly coming from the math side, so if I were OP I would look closer at the chem dept on its own.

I think you're just delusional. It's a shame that your anecdotal evidence has tarnished your opinion of Berkeley, because it seems like you might have gotten a few bad eggs. Or you're having confirmation bias. There's no reason that Berkeley students would be any worse than students from any other school, and it's ridiculous to insinuate that the chemistry dept isn't training PhDs properly given that it's one of the best in the world. Again, I know at least a dozen chem PhDs to your 4, and they're all wonderful, responsible people.

>What am I in for?
Leftists.

no life, phd is 80 hour weeks

you would make more doing a chemical engineering phd or masters and working in oil

>getting a mastering in chemical engineering
>making money
Anyone who does that doesn't care about money because they wouldn't be stupid enough to waste their time potential earnings/earning potential on a masters.

This

>Don't smoke
>Like fishing and hunting
>Lived in Texas my entire life
>Only vote democrat because of pro education, climate change, and health care.
>Socially right of center

I'm fucked aren't I.

Cal is my best option right now in terms of prestige and funding.

Research interest in nanofab and silicon fabrication.

Oh and I made a mistake in the OP. I'm ChE :^)

I would be ashamed to call the trash you export from Berkeley to yuropoor a graduate. I have the same experience with the lot of you as the other user.
Cornell and Caltech export goods are the best burgers in our company. But the goddamn russians beat pretty much everyone.

As a university expect to be persecuted for being white.

As far as graduate education, really depends on who you work for, not where you study.

So basically Antifa.

>An tee faaaah!

You'll be fine. You really think it's any better at any other school? They're all full of degenerates.

>more people in this thread posting about berkeley without knowing shit except what they read on fox news, reddit, and /pol/
embarrassing, honestly.

why is it embarrassing to you what someone you don't even know says?
is it because we are all global citizens working together to improve our understanding of the universe and eventually colonize the stars?

So do you have a professor in mind?

those people should be embarrassed, because they are engaging in ridiculous conspiracy theories and egregious fallacy

Or Berkeley should be embarrased for the way in which their image is changing.

I visited in November for a review session of the grant I'm paid from. It's a cool place, but I don't think I'd like to live there. One thing one of the local grad students said stood out to me. Apparently there's some sort of TA Union, such that the non-STEM grad students have collectively bargained to have all TAs paid the same wage. That meant that there was desperate competition for RA positions, as you can't RAISE the pay for some poor education student, so you get dropped to some pitiful starvation wage in a really expensive city. That said, the equipment they have at the university really is top notch, and money flows into their coffers like nobody's business.

fucking dipshit asians who have no personality or intelligence and whose only skill in life is being a robot

>Please accept my warmest congratulations on the many accomplishments and achievements that have earned you admission to this unique institution.
Is this the level academia is at now? The massive achievement of showing up and handing in your assignments for the incredibly taxing 20 hours a week undergrad which is only in session like 6 months of the year. This reads like a pumped up resume.

thank you thank you thank you, I thought I was the only one!!! First time someone has been able to admit the absolute truth, most of the chinese and indian factory tools are talentless