NEW

NEW

WAIFU

CLAIMED

>Rowan Hisayo Buchanan is a Japanese-British-Chinese-American writer. She has a BA from Columbia University, an MFA from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and is currently working on a PhD at the University of East Anglia. She hosts a monthly video series called Inky Dumbbell where she talks about writing and writing craft.

>Hisayo Buchanan’s debut novel is Harmless Like You, set across New York, Berlin and Connecticut. The novel tells the stories of Yuki Oyama, a Japanese girl fighting to make it as an artist, and Yuki's son Jay who, as an adult in the present day, is forced to confront his mother who abandoned him when he was only two years old.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6QpDIEwm-I8
youtu.be/8_vUFOYhRbU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the japanese artist girl is the modern day guy's mom and i haven't even read it.
it's probably somewhat autobiographical and about a bastard she gave away or an abortion.
is she still your waifu now you dumb fuck?

Is there a war in it? I only read books with wars in them.

>Hisayo Buchanan
sounds pretty interesting
i'd open the book and proceed if the prose style seemed dece
debut novel too, so much potential

>Japanese-British-Chinese-American
> Japanese-British-Chinese-American
you literally couldn't make this shit up.
oh, and East Anglia of course.
nuff said, get the bonfire ready.

kek

are we gonna talk about how everyone is racially profiling and only interested in that fact, her book,or this author in general just because shes girl?

youre the worst. it sounds generic and from that book's description who gives a shit. get your waifu shit out of here.

>East Anglia of course

What do you mean by that? I'm in my sixth year of creative writing studies at UEA and it's a fantastic place!

>sixth year of creative writing studies
shill detected.

>are we gonna talk about how everyone is racially profiling

this isn't tumblr you boring self-righteous virtue signaler

fuck off

i dont really give a shit to be honest. im racist as fuck in a way. but it bothers me when people do this to hapa women because i know the target audience are the fucking worst kind of white people, the narcissitic infantilized kind.

>racial profile?
good luck getting started on that one, bud.
what next? haplogroup analyses and phylogenetic tree charts on the back covers of books?
give us a break.

she's essentially just half-asian/white.
dont overly intellectualize my comment.
the point is that people are "waifu-ing" this woman on really ridiculous pretenses. its definitely not on the merits of her fiction or her outstanding beauty i can tell you that.

>i dont really give a shit to be honest. im racist as fuck in a way.

you bitch just to bitch. literally one post later after trying to call this board out for "racial profiling" you now say you're racist as fuck?

lmao fuck off already.

>the point is that people are "waifu-ing" this woman on really ridiculous pretenses.
on the chan? no way? crikey. who wouldda thunk it?

im somewhat racist and anti-waifu-fags.
big surprise im a mature adult you fucking child.

Veeky Forums should be better than that. i definitely hate more 70% of channers. it's like 95% with redditors.

PS: If readers want to get a good literary glimpse of what it's like to confront a slut mother years after being abandoned, I strongly suggest Yann Queffélec's Les Noces barbares (Eng: The Wedding).

>big surprise im a mature adult you fucking child.

you take up one stance and then drop it completely for the polar opposite the very next post. mature? you're a fucking sociopath.

no...
being a soft, discrimnatory racist is not the same thing as being an all-out blind retard racist, which is basically what you're doing by glorifying hapas to immediate waifu status

the mental gymnastics of a sociopath.

>are we gonna talk about how everyone is racially profiling
>i dont really give a shit to be honest. im racist as fuck in a way.

n u t b a r

I shouldn't be laughing so hard at this post

>Japanese-British-Chinese-American
Where the fuck is she from?

don't even bother, mate.

The Isle of Networking.

>no concept of cognitive disonance
i dont like strict muslims cuz they kill people and i get nervous around groups of black people. however, i like arab and black people if they're nice but i definitely hate every single waifu manchild i meet regardless of their disposition.
does that soun so psychopathic or fairly reasonable to you?

the more you post the more unhinged you sound. you have gone full circle right to racially profiling now.

it was always just a crusade against waifu-fags. youre just running from the cross-hairs because you dont want to stare too long in the mirror.

>'"this guys crazy r-right guys? r-right?", as you squeeze your waifu pillow

I wanna fuck her.

>parents are wealthy
>still awarded an Asian-American writers fellowship because she is """marginalized"""

I'd say America, with Japanese and British-Chinese parents. But who the fuck knows.

>muh diversity
>muh identity

>it was always just a crusade against waifu-fags.

no this has nothing to do with waifu idiots it's just you being a mentalist yet again. you say you hate racial profiling. then you say you're racist as fuck. then you try to caveat that for half a moment until you get annoyed and start to just flat out racially profile.

n u t b a r

>not understanding hyperbole
i hate dumb racists, not discrimination. you gotta do it wisely, discriminate from behaviors (which can be observed, and then racially associate bu never assumed)
automatically assuming a hapa is a waifu is like automatically assuming urkel has a gat.
it's just naive and makes me cringe at your lack of basic logic

>who the fuck knows.
exactly, not even the first concerned.
>except when it comes to benefits, of course.

d0n't feed the tr0ll.
stick to the topac, please.

She's probably been a victim of discrimination (by people like you) due to her race for as long as she can remember.

Then, someone like her might say "Life feels pretty unfair sometimes, maybe I'll write about it"

And people like you say "MUH WHITE GENOCIDE!".

Get a fucking clue.

and what "race" would that be, smartarse?
and don't be so presumptuous, thanks.

>born to wealthy parents
>probably privately educated
>not even full Asian
>studied Economics at a top university
>had a cushy internship at some finance company out of college
>had enough money to pay to study an MFA
>has enough money to fund a PhD

Wow, much hardship, so not good

>She's probably been a victim of discrimination (by people like you) due to her race for as long as she can remember.
Wrong.

lol at all these things you are trying to claim with each post. cognitive dissonance? hyperbole?

just last post you were insinuating that i was also a "waifu" person simply for responding as i am. this couldn't have anything to do with your flip flop frenetic angst rambles. no, i'm clearly a dreaded waifu agent out to make you look bad!

are the words too big baby-man?
if you follow the root of the argument my beef has always been with the naive idolization practices of waifu-fags and then you side-tracked on the racist aspect of it, which is merely one facet of the waifu faggotry you were defending.

>She's probably been a victim of discrimination (by people like you) due to her race for as long as she can remember.

You're right I'm sure the average user here has suffered far less in life than the young chic Jap-Brit-Whatever from Columbia with the flashy new book deal. Good one.

>are the words too big baby-man?

it isn't them thar "big words" so much as your laughably nutbar pretext for electing them.

i get it. you don't like waifu shit. neither do i. that doesn't excuse the rest of the paranoid contradictory shit you've said itt, you literal dunce.

kek

>congitive disonance
i am known to be a racist, and yet i love all people granted they're kind
>hyperbole
im REALLY fucking racist = i have said racist shit

real complex stuff. definitely not relevant to your accusations of me being a hypocritical racist.

i know you were just triggered by the words "racially profiled" and assumed i was tumblr-queen but you didnt even read the rest of the post and are trying to back out now with phony insults when youre really just dumb and need to get back to your safe-space.
guess what, cognitive disonance again, i can hate tumblr shit and also kinda agree on some aspects of it.
but what i cant agree with whatsoever is anyone at all who stands by a waifu-fag. which you had done up til this moment.
pussy.

>and need to get back to your safe-space.

lmao please you silly retard nigger you were trying to one man war against waifu people itt when no one else was even posting like that. op said it once and that was it. literally every post you've been crying about waifus when no other user was even posting like that.

whoah whoah whoah
my death-to-waifu-fag campaign is the opposite of space-space type shit.
its a brutal honest, survival of the fittest, master-race ideal (on a social level)
and im just bombing this thread becuase it's cancer by default.
if you read my first post my issue was that if this GIRL (crucial) was being fetishized, not on the product of her personality or work, but clearly on her genetics. We don't even know her culture.

i'll punch you in the teeth on derby day m8

>and im just bombing this thread becuase it's cancer by default.

"whatever i was being retarded the whole time"

you're bombing alright. i'll give you that.

stop hysterically crying about waifu people in every post you make when there was literally one post like that and that's it. it's nonsensical.

It's a waifu-thread you dumbfuck.
ITS CANCER.
and so yes, the bombs drop and the war goes on.
i dont think im being retarded at all.
im saving Veeky Forums culture from degrading into right-wing baby-men.

>It's a waifu-thread you dumbfuck.

it was a single post, son. if you stop being a mentalist and actually read the thread you have freaked out in you'll see that no other user continued the spirit of that first post because they didn't give a fuck. you really are unhinged.

when was it ever anything else?

waifu-ing is a projective fantasy that man-babies instill on idol like 2d cut-outs of real people

sounds similar to the brief description in the first post, oh wait, which also has the word waifu in isolated caps as the 3rd word?
any discussion to follow will be cancer as result, all either race-baiting or waifu-faggotry.
besides our argument that's all we've got.
learn to read threads and accept your loss pussyboy.

Back on topic: anyone want to discuss novels about abandoned-at-birth mischlings?

good q.
but we used to be more ironic.
now the baby-man attitudes have taken on a sort of shame (righfully so) that leads to angry right-wing backlash that's unwarranted.

>learn to read threads and accept your loss pussyboy.

you are a literal moron cunt but then our constant autist jousting has successfully derailed the thread of this useless pretentious whore, which is a plus.

Fielding's "Tom Jones"?

I always suspected something racially fishy going on there.

I don't get it, East Anglia is fantastic for studying English.

I would care if the novel sounded interesting. I don't understand why artsy literature has to be so boring. I shouldn't judge before reading her prose, but you can have a captivating concept without being genre fiction nonsense.

Indeed. You don't get it. You'll just have to live with that.

>I don't understand why artsy literature has to be so boring

They write what they know.
>The novel tells the stories of Yuki Oyama, a Japanese girl fighting to make it as an artist

This is some fascinating shit right here. Look out.

I don't study there. I study at a "better" uni. But all that aside, East Anglia has a great rep - so yeah I don't get it.

lolwut

maybe there's a war in your trousers, user.

The resulting exchanges throughout this thread are one of the most tedious shits I've ever read on Veeky Forums. Both of you should meet up and fuck each other to death.

^
Best comment in the whole thread.

if you read that whole exchange then you were as bored as we both were you catty faggot.

why cant mfa fags write about anything other than le artists

is it because they have no real life experience?

That and its all theyre trained to write about. Much like how Veeky Forums is filled with wannabe PoMo fags.

hence my comment about E Anglia, and hence the other anonette's confusion.

what is she in Tokyo Hot what episode ?

I might listen to the audio book if she reads it and if she moans and cries like a JAV actress during the sex scenes. I'll buy two copies if she includes pixalated pics of her cunny.

a cute. CUTE!!

youtu.be/8_vUFOYhRbU

@ 2:00

"So there's this art critic and thinker that I love even though he's an old white man"

Lol at reading any modern writer, particularly an ethnically mixed up one.

The thing is, now a days these narratives of young women being discriminated are a dime a dozen, not original in the least, and are blatant cash grabs by publishers jumping on the "Genius young writer debut novel" schtick. Not to say they're all the same, there are definetly some that deserve praise, but is every young-insert 6 fragmented ethnic backgrounds here:______ -writer good or even decent? no.

Veeky Forums BTFO once again

He's saying only a manchild and anime-lover would want a hapa. I think that's what he's trying to imply.

Glad to see we got the thread back on track, anons!

Veeky Forums don't ruin this person like all the countless booktubers

she's a happening author, not some nobody in flyover country

Veeky Forums cannot touch her

famous last words, user

shit, it might even give her the headline she needs for those sweet harassment monies

"quad-racial author cyberbullied by anime nazis"

perhaps.
definitely the theme of her next novel, though.

wow how literary, quite the genius. A tour de force

dam

The First Great Internet Novel, and it all started with a Veeky Forums baitpost

fellas we have converged

I don't know about you, user, but I'll never look at a plastic picnic chair in quite the same way again.

It's not so bad, but that dialogue is moving at a fucking glacial level and it has the hallmarks of first novel written all over it. A bit more experience writing -and life experience - and she'll be all right.

This, why doesn't she just give up and call herself American? When she has kids with someone who is half-Brazilian half-Irish, is that kid going to be Japanese-British-Chinese-Brazilian-Irish-American?
She looks no more or less white than many white people.

you mean aside from the identity crisis and the raychism?

She looks very Asian

>She looks no more or less white than many white people.
Confere de Gobineau.

because muh identity

Racism doesn't seem to be an inherent aspect of that piece of work, and it is understandable that a brand new novelist is going to have an identity crisis and inevitably use it for inspiration. I'm not saying I like the text, it just isn't horrible. Identity is obviously going to play a factor in her writing if she bills herself as an Asian-American author. As much as I hate to admit it, Maxine Hong played those elements well. With enough time, Buchanan could fix up her style and find her niche.

I want to see her dominate KatieLovesKlassicBooks

she's so awkward it hurts

No she doesn't. She looks british. Can we stop fetishizing hapas?

once again, see de Gobineau.

Souless black eyes, black and ehite photo to hide skin complexion
>british
Top kek

>when the author takes "write what you know" to mean "write about yourself"

I can't wait to read all this boring autism