Why isn't light magnetic? Or is it?

So towards the end of my physics E&M class I thought of this. If light is an electromagnetic wave, why doesn't it have magnetic properties? Can light bend around a magnet like it can around mass?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gDQlCvsJnK8
energeticforum.com/renewable-energy/17560-uncovering-missing-secrets-magnetism-92-pages-free-new-book.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5a4BHq7KMeg&list=PLTMm2h0hniVKgMR_xK0Vn4-PuSPFFJQzM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you mean by magnetic properties?

Light when described as a wave is a wave in electric and magnetic fields.
As you may have learned there is no interaction between field -> field.
Which is why we can use the superposition principle when working in EM.

This is something that's always bugged me too. Radio waves I can pick up with an antenna and run that through a metal wire. Light needs fiber optic cables and doesn't get picked up by antennas. They're both EM waves though right? What gives?

It's not in any real way.

Physicists just have to say that it is for their math to work. It's like when they say light has no mass. In order for their models to work, light has to have no resting mass, so they assert that it has no resting mass.

The wavelength of radio waves is much larger than the length of visible light.
You could try to pick up light with an antenna But the signal would prolly be too weak to detectl

Nothing is real. The universe is a simulation.
Buy gold.

Molecules/atoms have size. Amplitudes have size. It's all about how they interact.
Nothing prevents you from detracting radio waves except needing a murderous amount of energy for the signal to be strong enough to detect after all the material it passes through to detract to any meaningful degree.

Like how come magnets don't attract light?

no field -> field interactions
ie fields are linear

light is a disturbance in the EM fields
If light was attracted by magnets that would imply field to field interactions.

How come moving a magnet around near a vandegraph generator doesn't produce light?

What about the gluons?

Magnets don't effect radio waves either.

I think you might be thinking of radio waves like electrons flying through the air and being effected by the right hand rule. A magnet causing distortions in a CRT TV for example. Magnetic and electric fields extend out from electrons at the speed of light whether they're moving or not.

Why do you expect it to?
I mean. Maybe it could work?
This is where you begin to do some theoretical (or experimental) work.
Science is never certain. Oftentimes people who held 'stupid' ideas revolutionized their field.
And there is really no downside. You either fail and learn a lot on the way or succeed and learn a lot on the way.
Get some books, read them. Get some lab equipment, use it.
GL.

youtube.com/watch?v=gDQlCvsJnK8

"I'm the only person on earth that knows what a magnet is"
"everything in this universe is electric"
Jeez man, schizophrenia is one hell of a drug.

Google before asking here.
Maxwell's equations are linear. Which means fields go "right through each other" without distortion and the magnitude of a field at a given point is just the vector sum of the individual fields.
So light cannot be bent by a magnet.

A magnet CAN affect the atoms producing the light. See Zeeman Effect.

That man is Ken Wheeler and he is literally the only person that knows how a magnet works lol. He does come off as having a big ego though and at times he seems annoying and harsh, but it's because he keeps trying to explain magnetism to the average schmoe and still gets tons of emails and shit from people who are confused. Reading the anal destruction he caused on Energetic forum is hilarious:
energeticforum.com/renewable-energy/17560-uncovering-missing-secrets-magnetism-92-pages-free-new-book.html

Yes I'm shilling him, deal with it.

Watch some of his other videos, he has hundreds of experiments involving light and magnetism.

youtube.com/watch?v=5a4BHq7KMeg&list=PLTMm2h0hniVKgMR_xK0Vn4-PuSPFFJQzM

Without magnetism there is no "light". Light isn't actually a thing in and of itself. Light is a coaxial perturbation of magnetism and electricity.

How come moving a magnet around a coil and hooking up that coil to a tungsten rod in a vacuum tube produces "light"? The only thing that has changed in the room is the addition of a magnet, copper coil and "lightbulb". "Moving the magnet" by shaking it back it fourth is just inducing a change, the change being "magnet" and "absence of magnet". The magnets relative position hasn't changed.
Perhaps the same could be said or light in that it doesn't move and the speed of light is actually just a rate of induction of electricity and magnetism.

Go back to photography, Ken

that guy is a dipshit

thanks user now I know my warp drive will work

You don't need a vanDegraff generator.
Just wave a magnet (or any charged object) around and it'll emit EM radiation.
Somewhere between 10^4 and 10^12 times per second and the FCC will descend on you for illegal broadcasting.
You'll see visible light if you can move your hand 10^15 times per second.

All a radio transmitter is is a way of jerking electrons (a lot lighter than your hand, hence easier to move) back-and-forth very rapidly.

>tungsten rod in a vacuum tube produces "light"
Because of the draper point. If I added a blowtorch to the system and kept waving the magnet around without the wire I could get the same effect.

>Perhaps the same could be said or light in that it doesn't move and the speed of light is actually just a rate of induction of electricity and magnetism.
Yeah, but field are exponential. How can they interact linearly across any real distance?

Was that a gravity falls reference?

how does gravity affect light then?

It affects space. Light goes through space. Kinda like my dick curves slightly in your mom's vagina.

Light does have magnetic properties. If you send polarized light through a region of magnetic field then it will (can) change the ligtht's polarization direction

>Because of the draper point.
Not an explanation of where the light comes from. Where does the light come from? The answer is everywhere because the motion is already there waiting to be pertubated.

>Yeah, but field are exponential. How can they interact linearly across any real distance?

There is no such thing as "linear" in the universe. EM acts like like rebounding steadfasts. The best example I can give is someone making waves with their hand in "still" water. Even though their energy is dispersed as the magnitude increases, it is still creating a difference in the medium it travels through.
Gravity is incoherent dielectric acceleration. What you call "magnetism, light, electricity, and gravity" are all the same thing. They are just expressions of a medium.