/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

Oathbringer hype edition

tor.com/2017/03/16/revealing-the-cover-to-oathbringer-the-third-book-in-brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive/

Fantasy
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/pk3og4Y.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/shelf/show/necromancer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mathematicians deal with large numbers sometimes, but never in their income.

Reposting from the last thread:

Other than Sabriel and its rather unusual take on necromancy, what are some fantasy works that feature a necromancer as the protagonist? Not strictly in the way that Sabriel worked, mind you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Warhammer is far more focused on action stuff, than the actual way magic works and such?

There literally isn't one
Not anything decent at least

Walter Tevis was mentioned at the end of the last thread. I've yet to read him, but I'll probably read Mockingbird before the end of the month. Anyway, I wanted to point out that his bibliography is interesting, an unusual case of a SF writer successfully crossing over to mainstream novels; SF staples like The Man Who Fell To Earth and Mockingbird alongside The Color Of Money and The Hustler. Consider how many authors are either unwilling or unable to write outside of their niche. Philip K Dick yearned for this type of career.

Too Like the Lightning had some pretty lewd parts desu

Some of the Diablo novels have a necromancer protag.

Diablo is shit.

I mean, do I really have to say it that I specifically want to read decently written books? I thought that was a given in this general.

FICTIONAL SEDUCTION
OVER BLACK SNOW SKY
SADNESS KILLS THE SUPERMAN
EVEN FATHERS CRY
TUC SOON

f-fuck you!

Any good novels with a girl protag?

Sabriel
First Mistborn

Are there any books out there that are similar to Planescape:Torment? That is a really bizarre setting and a more personal plot rather than a 'save the world' style plot

Prequel, read to me like chick-lit or at least conforms to what I think chick-lit fantasy is. Premise is Pyrre has a hit-list with various requirements to complete before graduating from acolyte to priestess with one of them being kill someone she loves, and of course she's not in love with anyone.

So the bulk of the content is her trying to fall in love with some guy she had an affair with years ago so she can then kill him. It wasn't terrible, short enough to not outstay its welcome too badly and at least the two older priest characters were memorable but yeah still a bit disappointing.

Red Sister

UK RELEASE WHEN

It's not even on the fucking Kindle store

I thought Mockingbird was quite good. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but good.

>the protagonist lets off female antagonists easier than their male counterparts

ENOUGH!

I stomached as much as I could of Garrett PI, but this fucking enough.

All Systems Red
Might be a fun little book.

The Chronicles Of Amber books are underrated.

Haven't played that game but

>That is a really bizarre setting and a more personal plot rather than a 'save the world' style plot

Book of the New Sun

Hey now, that was unnecessary. You know very well we read terrible books all the time here.

>necromancer as the protagonist
the only series that comes to mind is the anita blake one, and that starts off as shit before quickly becoming a hot mess. i'll admit to liking the first few books, but as soon as the primary focus became the threeway fuck-lationship with the vampire and the werewolf i dropped it. also, she's more monster hunter than necromancer

>but never in their income

test

Sent ;)

Is it good?

Depends, do you like shitty books?

>le neckbearded fedora man in le trenchcoat
pic is about right

Yes

Sabriel
Cabal the necromancer
Anita Blake (up to obsidian butterfly)
downside ghosts (kinda)
Felix Castor (kinda)
broken empire (small subplot, isn't used much)
libat mount char (kinda, again a subplot, book does not revolve around the necromancer. You might enjoy it anyways)

Also a quick google gave me this goodreads.com/shelf/show/necromancer
Seems a lot of what I suggested is on there.

BOTNS is both

Then you might like it because it's a really shitty book.

The Chronicles of Amber:

>I sat down and lit a cigarette and the runes on my blade Grayswandir glowed. Oh hell, I thought. She asked me to make love to her, and I did that thing. The runes were acting up again near the end of coitus, and in a red flash the blade exploded, releasing a man-sized demon with leathern bat wings. She opened her eyes from beneath me and screamed, so I slapped her. "Fuck off, Jack, can't you see I'm indisposed?" I said. The demon snarled and spoke in Old Welsh. "Begone, thou knave, or I'll knock you sillier than this wench."

What's Lit's opinion on Xianxia novels.

That's not from Amber you stupid man baby.
It's from Shadow Jacks.

>you stupid man baby

How do they always know

I smelt your dirty diaper all the way from there.

Can't say I ever liked drow-centric/elf-centric books and the problem with Cunninham is the fact that she writes about nothing else. Every single Forgotten Realms book of hers is about drow or surface elves.

Are there any good fantasy books (standalone or series) that don't focus on combat/warfare or politics?

earthsea

Another interesting publication decision. It's a collection, but the blurbs and advertising only mention the lead story, which appears to be a loose sequel to Dickson's "Jamie the Red". I saw no mention of collection or treasury anywhere, but noticed 2 extra copyright notices from 10 and 20 years earlier than the publishing date. The title story followed a lone infidel in Moslem territory and his experience with the kind of face saving hostility that swore friendship with you in such a way that let them kill your whole family. The second story was the kind of decent SF pulp I've begun to expect from Dickson and had been previously included in several magazines and other collections. The final story was a philosophical nugget on the nature of man and miracles, also appearing as the final entry in two other earlier collections.
There is no shared theme or any other reason I can find for these to appear together, so I'm not going to give it a numerical rating.

Gentlemen Bastards, theres violence but theyre dick ass theives

Any science-fiction or fantasy with lovecraftian/cosmic horror elements?

Discworld

I'm 130 pages into Valis, and near dropping this book altogether. PKD has interesting ideas, but he is erratic and he repeats himself too much. I'm saying this as somebody who ordinarily likes reading him a lot, 7 of his earlier novels and a volume of short stories. So I may shelve this one for reading another time or forget about it altogether.

The protagonist of Tom O'Bedlam by Robert Silverberg (1985) is a traveling man in a post-apocalyptic America who dreams about several species of Lovecraft-esque aliens and their worlds. He unwittingly begins to transmit them to people immediately around him (a gang of scavengers) as well as a mental hospital on the East coast.

Valis is a difficult read, even if you're familiar with Dick. The book was rewritten several times at a severe low point in his mental well-being, and it bleeds over into the way the book is written just as much as what the book is actually about. The best way is to adopt a sort of siege mentality- schedule a block of days, plan to read x amount of pages per day hell or high water, maybe even annotate as you read. Just chip away at the story. It is worth it in the end; it's sort of like navigating your way through a corn maze, then retracing your steps only to discover that the route you took spells out everything you had for breakfast that morning. Cosmic and inscrutable with a bizarrely mundane focus, as Dick does best.

>east coast

That should read West coast

Oh I'm annotating alright. I even have a brainstorm going on a separate piece of a4. I enjoy puzzles (Gene Wolfe, Borges) but this is something else. I suspect I will put another hour or two into it tonight and then decide.

City of the Dead, it's a Forgotten Realms novel though so if you can't stand it, read no further.
It focuses on the undertakers of Waterdeep.
I read it years ago in one single evening and I don't think there was a single character dying, there was no politics and no warfare either, just basically fixing small-time problems.
It's basically some outside noble guy doing shit in the crypts (plundering and selling stuff if I remember correctly, could be something else though) under one of the graveyards and the protag must stop him before the (un)dead get too angry. The undead leave every evening through the undertaker gate and head for the mansion of the noble and harrass him by staring through the windows when he's throwing parties, really nasty thing, that.
Generally if you are into dungeon-running, Forgotten Realms novels are your first go-to, there's a lot of them without realm-shattering consequences.

How is this?

Like what your mom dropped a steaming pile of on my chest last night mate.

Rude.

It's decent enough for what it is.

and what is it?

A novel.

Anyone know of anything like The Martian and the Bobiverse books? Doesn't have to be sci fi, but I like the whole "build an empire starting from some rocks" idea, with a focus on the practical problems that would entail.

Are you 14-16 years old? If so, you'll enjoy that.

I'm not fucking with you. When I was younger, I enjoyed reading it too. Then I grew up and got some taste.

The Moon is Hell by John Campbell is along those lines, as a painstaking account of the practical problems of developing a long-term shelter in a hostile environment from limited resources with little focus on conventional plot or characterization.

>Then I grew up and got some taste.
>still reading science fiction and/or fantasy

I recognize you. You're that pathetic weebfag that shitposts on other boards whenever there's a book thread around. Do you seriously have no life?

Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson

fucking this. Triggers me so much. I unironically wish my protagonist would rape and murder female antagonists just to show hes not a pussywhipped faggot.

I don't care for that. I just want the fucker to not let some cunt, that has fucked him over throughout the whole book and has resulted in dozens of people dying, go at the end of things because he's "not that kind of guy".

Then again, what the fuck did I expect from a book that has covers like this?

The sad thing is, the world is interesting. It really has lots of nifty details. I just wish there was some other protagonist instead.

isn't that the
>any kind of colonization is evil
guy?

Anyone else want to help me write a plot summary for Echopraxia on Wikipedia?

It's just a mediocre fantasy book. I don't know why you keep up this underage meme. You can still enjoy cool things after growing up user.

Clark Ashton Smith's stories had different settings where he mixed fantasy and lovecraftian influences. His main ones were:

Averoigne: A medieval era French province assailed by evils of the night.

Hyperborea: Antediluvian tropical continent filled with lovecraftian monsters.

Zothique: Far future in a dying earth filled with necromancers and weird beasts.

>start writing my first novel
>realize it's already boring from two pages

What can you tell me about Name of the Wind? I felt very skeptical of it from the start, because the people recommending it were people I think are idiots.

Are my instincts right? Is it swill?

I also am wondering this since i'm looking for a new book. Somebody intelligent please answer

i am not intelligent but i enjoyed it
i found some part boring, but the rest was pretty good

No that book is trash you will regret reading it. I read it in April because /sffg/ kept talking about how great it was and eventually someone lent me a copy; here is the review I wrote right after
>Nope. Nopenopenope. Empty calories for the brain. An immensely dislikeable Gary Stu protagonist in a fedora and the friend zone. Fuck this book and fuck Patrick Rothfuss.

post em user

not like they'll become anything anyways

I'd give it a pass.

I'm completely new to reading, what book do you deem must-read in your opinion? (Don't ask about my tastes, i'm asking about your tastes specifically)

It's not english

Prepare to hate the protagonist.

I don't think there is a "must-read", there are just things of varying quality in your interests and these will change as your tastes change.

I kind of want a book that teenagers had 15 years ago when they had the experience with Harry Potter, but im 24 years old and just started reading and need a book equivalent to that for adults I guess.

Why would you take recommendations from people you don't respect? When has that ever paid off?

>I read it in April because /sffg/ kept talking about how great it was
NANI!?

bakayaro

>made the terrible mistake of looking up "booktubers"
>look up some science fiction stuff they talk about because why the fuck not, might find something new to read
>pick a video at random
>Irish cunt that talks about how she's glad that there's queer/asexual/POC representation in the book

Fuck it. I have no one but myself to blame.

I haven't yet, but I'm asking around because at least on Veeky Forums I don't know whether or not the people are intelligent. The more opinions, the more I figure I can triangulate the quality of the work.

It's decent, probably the best of Feist's books. He started strong with that setting then just steadily rolled downhill as he kept going. The middle stuff is still kinda readable but it just gets ridiculous later on by like book 11 or so.

Also, he cowrote a series with Janny Wurts set in this same setting, and it's fantastic and definitely worth reading.

I just read The Wonderful Visit by H.G. Wells and loved it.

Is there anything similar to it that I could read tonight?

I don't know you, I can't predict what'll appeal to you. Just read around some things, see what people whose opinions you respect say about whatever books and then give the ones they suggest a go if they seem interesting. Finding a book that'll have the same effect on a 24 year old as something like HP had on a kid roughly Harry's age at the time of the book's setting will be difficult.

I can't enjoy a book anymore if /sffg/ bashes it
Am I retarded?

No, just a conformist.

I read this in the sixth grade, and up until the point that Gollum appeared, I thought that Bilbo was the guy in the back.

I racked my brain trying to figure out why the dwarves would hire such an ugly fucker.

>everyone in Bakker's work is a degenerate cockslut
>SJWs still refuse to give him accolades

where is the justice?

What are some books that are like this album sounds?

kekked

I once had an idea for a Twitch show. The theme is this: Live book reviews, where you get a /pol/ack, a Kantbot and a Tumblr feminist to try and discuss a popular scifi/fantasy novel or a film.

Every time someone donates a certain amount, they each have to eat a hot pepper of a certain intensity based on donation size, and then keep talking. I would also have them play video games.

Sounds fun. You should find soem friends and do it. I would def watch everytime.

What the fuck are you on about. At least the /v/ cunts have a trend to go off. Asking for books based on music is a horrible mistake and you disgust me.

Just asking for some books that are like an album
No need to get mad, lad.

>What words are like this music