Climate Change General

Other urls found in this thread:

foxnews.com/us/2016/09/14/climate-change-poses-significant-risk-to-us-military-report-says.html
warosu.org/sci/thread/9299864#p9303365
policyintegrity.org/files/publications/ExpertConsensusReport.pdf
skepticalscience.com/co2-measurements-uncertainty.htm
co2science.org/articles/V6/N6/COM.php
dmi.dk/en/groenland/maalinger/greenland-ice-sheet-surface-mass-budget/
landsat.usgs.gov/september-27-2013-landsat-7-thermal-band-calibration-update
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What real generals say and think

foxnews.com/us/2016/09/14/climate-change-poses-significant-risk-to-us-military-report-says.html

>foxnews

precisely, even they say it...

Posting Al Gore is asking to be ad hommed by deniers.

What is the 'normal' temperature/climate supposed to be?

~ 300 ppm

Whatever humans and the ecosystems we rely on are adapted to.

>but on all the other things they're wrong of course!

>climate change is bad for america
good

I love this question so much, please help me by asking this question in every climate change thread.

I always get this answer too, that's not a climate or temperature, dumbass.

>What is the optimal weight for humans?
>Huh, what's that? You can't give me one
>Well then being obese is fine, stop fatshaming
/pol/tards are literally the same as sjws.

>>What is the optimal weight for humans?
are you implying that's an unanswerable question?

>What is the optimal weight for humans?
Depends on a lot of things, height, sex, genetics.. but there is none really.

>Huh, what's that? You can't give me one
Nope.

>Well then being obese is fine, stop fatshaming
Being Obese is fine, just don't expect to live long. Fat shaming is fine too, I will laugh at you all day for looking like a butterball and unable to defended yourself/have the same abilities as a human that isn't fat. In the end you're all gonna end up in the ground.

>/pol/tards are literally the same as sjws.
What made you think I was a /pol/tard exactly?

>What made you think I was a /pol/tard exactly?
Don't mind him/her, he/she's just one of many Veeky Forums posters spooked by the /pol/ bogeyman

These posters take comfort in simply blaming the /pol/ bogeyman since it's easier than the alternative.

Yes.

>Ah so you can't tell me what the optimal body weight is, therefore being fat does not harm you! Checkmate alarmists!

Are you actually going to try and tell me that fat is bad for you? Then why does almost every mammal have it?

The one that is not unintentionally changed by humans

>Are you actually going to try and tell me that CO2 is bad? CO2 is plant food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Veeky Forums thread about climate change without /pol/tards .. are you new here?

How do we know climate change isnt just a natural part of earth that takes thousands of years to happen (maybe we accelerated it a bit but what if it was inevitable)

>are you new here?
No.

Because we know how much warming is coming from CO2 via infrared spectroscopy and we know how much CO2 we are putting into the atmosphere. But if you know of some natural part of the Earth that causes warming an order of magnitude faster than anything we've seen over the past 500,000 years, feel free to write a paper about it.

I dont think there is any scientist that thinks otherwise; its the human influence that is still debated

invisible volcanoes

>You're right, we should just get rid of all the CO2, greenhouse gasses are BAD for the planet, we don't want the suns heat to stay here whatsoever! It's not like we need it to move the water around or anything, fuck rain!

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

That would be a great answer except for the fact that any volcanic eruption that could rival the human contribution of GHGs would actually have a net cooling effect, since such eruptions release massive amounts of ash and aerosol forming-sulfurous gasses that block out solar radiaton.

true but long term warming
cooling

Yes, because not being obese means eating no food and starving.

Jesus Christ you are a moron.

Supervolcanic eruptions cause cooling over much more than 2 years, partially due to feedbacks. It appears to totally negate any warming from CO2.

Proof?

..I mean it does mean that, it doesn't JUST mean that but you're right...
And having no food and starving would be a bad thing for a skinny person as opposed to an obese person...The point being, fat is not bad and actually is beneficial in times of cold/no food/energy.

I should just say "false equivalency", but I like the analogy game.

We're not talking about when someone is in times of cold/no food/energy. We're talking about an obese person who needs to eat less, not eat nothing.

It's a definition

>We're talking about an obese person who needs to eat less, not eat nothing.
Or eat the same amount and exercise it off, which is what the planet does.

warosu.org/sci/thread/9299864#p9303365

How retards think:
1) Economic growth is causing climate change.
2) Climate change may one day in the future inhibit economic growth.
3) We must stop climate change to protect economic growth.

(Actually, retards would quibble with the first point. Really is impossible to know what goes on in the mind of a moron.)

>Or eat the same amount and exercise it off, which is what the planet does.
Wrong.

See, this is why people don't come to sci anymore. It's all pol posters.

Fatty detected

B-but he planet is still moving...Also,

>chart of CO2 data of which taken from specific point on the earth.

Actually it's inhibiting economic growth right now. Just the sea level rise from global warming adds billions of dollars in damage to major storms. Economists agree that mitigating global warming is better for the economy than not:

policyintegrity.org/files/publications/ExpertConsensusReport.pdf

So since you put the economic argument on the table, you should concede.

Fuck everything that economists say.

>B-but he planet is still moving
What did he mean by this?

>chart of CO2 data of which taken from specific point on the earth.
skepticalscience.com/co2-measurements-uncertainty.htm

>Actually it's inhibiting economic growth right now

That's a good thing - according to you global warming self corrects, so I guess you won't need your carbon taxes afterall.

Then fuck what you say about the economy.

>That's a good thing
Not it's not.

>according to you global warming self corrects
When did I say that?

Please try not to lie.

I said economic growth causes global warming
You said global warming is inhibiting economic growth

Anyway, that's rich, an economist calling a scientist a liar

lulz

I cant wait to see how you twist my words next.

So much fun!

>I said economic growth causes global warming
So when you said "according to you" you meant "according to me."

>Anyway, that's rich, an economist calling a scientist a liar
I'm not an economist and you aren't a scientists.

I think my original post riled you up a little bit. You actually believe in all 3 points (and really your quibble is with my first point, and you are so fucking stupid don't even know it)

So here it is again, buddy. Enjoy:
>How retards think:
>1) Economic growth is causing climate change.
>2) Climate change may one day in the future inhibit economic growth.
>3) We must stop climate change to protect economic growth.

>(Actually, retards would quibble with the first point. Really is impossible to know what goes on in the mind of a moron.)

>topic is about climate change
>people post "hillary lost" memes
how do people dont rage in real life, if they are talking with same caliber of retards?

Hey, were you at the recent economics forum by any chance?

Did you know that something like 5000 private jets landed there? So they could discuss how to "protect the world from climate change".

The absolute stench of the hypocrisy of you people is nauseating.

See Also, your argument is logically unsound, since not all economic growth causes climate change and climate change does not inhibit all economic growth. So claiming that you can fit these two together into one argument is false. For example, increased storm damage from sea level rise caused by global warming is not going to noticeably drop demand for fossil fuels.

>What did he mean by this?

Whatever "worst case scenario" climatologists dream up will happen because the earth works in wave cycles and is basically the suns bitch. The only thing that powers and causes shit to happen on this earth is the sun. Luckily we have precession as well as rotation on our side to help us maintain equilibrium, but that means we have to deal with a shitload of changes all the time. Sometimes large tsunamis that hit india and fuck with the precession a little bit. Sometimes the sun has a tantrum and throws solar flares at us.

We ARE going to have another ice age.
The planet IS going to deal with it.
WE are going to have to deal with it.
While you climatologists are busy whining and trying to filter out all the bad CO2/greenhouse gasses I will be hanging out on the equator with a shitload of paleomagnetists waiting until the earth equalizes.

>but-but that's not a solution

Oh I'm sorry, was there ever a problem?

You must be confused, I don't own a private jet, and I think that all carbon emissions, including jet emissions, should be taxed.

And how does any of this respond to my post? Not only are you spouting irrelevant ad hominems, they aren't even ad hominems that apply to me.

>since not all economic growth causes climate change

oh?

then how much economic growth does cause climate change?

given that some ridiculous amount of the worlds energy (maybe 85% I don't know off hand, you know, that thing we use to move stuff around) still comes from fossil fuels

And you have the nerve to actually call me a liar...

fucking pathetic.

Wrong, but since you didn't even bother googling "can global warming be explained by the sun" you probably do not care about the truth and care more about spreading missinformation

Good, lets start with your farts. The government should issue mandatory fart counting corks inside everyone anus to keep track of their emissions. 10 cents a fart, that should leave you penniless by tomorrow judging by how much shit you're of.
Can I get a tax credit if I run an ionic breeze for x amount of hours too?

>Whatever "worst case scenario" climatologists dream up will happen because the earth works in wave cycles and is basically the suns bitch. The only thing that powers and causes shit to happen on this earth is the sun.
The Earth is actually at a solar minimum right now, yet temperature is still rising. So you're simply empirically wrong.

>We ARE going to have another ice age.
This is like saying you are eventually going to die, so why look both ways when crossing the street? The fact that there will be an ice age many thousands of years from now is completely irrelevant to the fact that we should mitigate harm over the next hundred.

>WE are going to have to deal with it.
We are also going to have to deal with the effects of global warming. Mitigating those effects now is the most beneficial way to do that.

You have nothing but increasingly irrelevant rants.

>then how much economic growth does cause climate change?
You must be confused, economic growth does not cause climate change, GHG emissions cause climate change. Economic growth is not the same thing as GHG emmissions.

>given that some ridiculous amount of the worlds energy (maybe 85% I don't know off hand, you know, that thing we use to move stuff around) still comes from fossil fuels
Making fossil fuels more expensive would cause them to be replaced by cheaper alternatives.

>And you have the nerve to actually call me a liar...
What did I lie about? You have failed again and again to defend the lies I pointed out here and here . Stop projecting, it's pathetic.

No no that's not what I meant farts should be allowed please no.

>wrong

What the fuck do you mean "wrong"? You're the one who is wrong you retard. If you think anything on this earth came from something else other than the sun and stray meteors than you're a bigger fool that I first took you as.
You rotate AROUND THE SUN
You are warmed BY THE SUN
"Climate change" is caused by THE SUN.
The earth has tectonic plate movement and a "core" only because of THE SUN.
The plants grow because of THE SUN.

I didn't have to bother googling it because I already know that the fucking sun causes everything on earth to "move" in the first place.

>the mature /pol/ poster everyone

>It's the SUN!!!!!!!!1111
Is this the new /pol/ religion?

>Making fossil fuels more expensive would cause them to be replaced by cheaper alternatives.
that's a nice way of selling lowering the standard of living

>don't mitigate climate change, just let it happen!
that's a nice way of selling lowering the standard of living

Again, you can't pretend to care about economic growth or standard of living while ignoring that economists agree mitigating global warming is better for the economy than not.

>The Earth is actually at a solar minimum right now, yet temperature is still rising. So you're simply empirically wrong.

Good thing we have all these greenhouse gasses to keep the heat in.

>This is like saying you are eventually going to die, so why look both ways when crossing the street?
And sometimes a curve ball accidentally hits you in the right place... Don't know what point you're making here, yeah you are gonna die....

>The fact that there will be an ice age many thousands of years from now is completely irrelevant to the fact that we should mitigate harm over the next hundred.

Why? What harm?

>We are also going to have to deal with the effects of global warming. Mitigating those effects now is the most beneficial way to do that.

>Lets not just suffer, lets be a glutton for it.

>You have nothing but increasingly irrelevant rants.

You have made no contributing statements to this thread.

Where did earth come from, what keeps the earth moving?

>Where did earth come from, what keeps the earth moving?
What does this have to do with global warming you dumb fuck?

Absolutely everything you fuck. Hmm what is this massive thing causing us to precess, making our seasons change and causing "change" in the first place?

>Good thing we have all these greenhouse gasses to keep the heat in.
Ah so you admit the Sun is not the only thing that determines the temperature on Earth. Good.

>And sometimes a curve ball accidentally hits you in the right place... Don't know what point you're making here, yeah you are gonna die....
The point I am making is that saying there is an ice age coming is irrelevant to whether we should be mitigating global warming. Are you retarded or just pretending to be?

>Why? What harm?
See >You have made no contributing statements to this thread.
Continuing to lie like this isn't helping you.

Can mods just ban poltards already? They ruin every board they go to. Not even /b/ wants them.

Poltards are so confident in their idiocy and ignorance that they now attack logic and reasoning because it goes against their hivemind.

>Hmm what is this massive thing causing us to precess, making our seasons change and causing "change" in the first place?
OK please explain how the Sun is causing global warming when we are receiving solar radiation has been decreasing for decades, you dense retard.

>i don't have half the brain it takes to do a search and see that every news network put out the same news

good argument retard

>fart corks
it is actually

>Ah so you admit the Sun is not the only thing that determines the temperature on Earth. Good.

...no, it is still the only thing that makes Earth not an inert ball of rubble.

>The point I am making is that saying there is an ice age coming is irrelevant to whether we should be mitigating global warming

And I am telling you that there is no point when we know it's going to happen regardless. You can waste all the energy you want "mitigating" shit, all you're doing is prolonging it.

>Please explain why the earth isn't inert after spinning around the sun.
isn't that self explanatory?

>i don't have half the brain it takes to do a search and see that every news network put out the same news

This is a science board.

are global warming alarmists the worst posters on Veeky Forums? they're worse than the handful of /pol/ crossposters

Why worry about africans, indians, and arabs? In 100 years the worst case models say that some areas in those places will be uninhabitable. With Fusion around the corner, not only will green energy will be plentiful, but you can use fusion to actively counter the rising CO2 levels. We will, if necessary, have fusion CO2 scrubbers set up all around the oceans. This is all assuming that the models are correct. If they are not, and I'm sure they aren't, we still need decades more of recording to even get a semi-accurate grasp of our effect on climate. One thing I noticed is the absolute lack of research into negative feedback, such as hurricanes. More numerous and severe hurricanes are a natural negative feedback as they deposit Carbon into the earth and plant life. There are many more possible negative feedbacks and they most likely the cause for the fact that we have not warmed for the last few decades. I agree that we have an effect, but the results of the effect are not even close to being properly understood.

why do you think that hurricanes deposit carbon?

cont.
One single unforeseen negative feedback has the possibility of completely changing a prediction of climate 50 years from now. It could go from warming to cooling from something simple as algae color in some lake in Russia. Changing trillion dollar economies based on science that has been wrong plenty of times is a very dangerous game. I say let the markets compete without government intervention.

co2science.org/articles/V6/N6/COM.php

Should we try to prevent climate change? Or adapt to it?

Stopping climate change is as hard as telling china to stop creating islands from coral in the south china sea.

you said they deposited into the Earth
ocean acidfication :(

I think there is no way to prevent evrything from climate change without massive changes to human settlements, just ways if making things less shittier. So we shoukd do both, the thing is, for any sort of discussion of thia the playfield should beging with "we already know ACH is real so what should we do about it?"

Yeah I just meant earth as in not the atmosphere. Plus it probably also dumps a lot into the land but it's hard to estimate the amount because the ground and trees don't directly absorb carbon from water. But when the CO2 escapes it creates a richer environment for plant life.

>the fact that we have not warmed for the last few decades
what a load of bullshit
fuck off back to

even if global warming was real, it would be illogical to try to do anything about it unless it could be shown that the benefits outweigh the economic devastation that all the current proposals come with

the amount of CO2 change in the atmosphere is negligible for primary productivity but not for the greenhouse effect

>CO2 escapes it creates a richer environment for plant life
doesn't happen in the open air, heat and droughts negate all the positive effects of increased co2

>ocean acidification
I didn't know about it, I'll do some research.

oh sweetie
dmi.dk/en/groenland/maalinger/greenland-ice-sheet-surface-mass-budget/

Now explain how increases land ice amounts is from warming, and no this is not a weather issue, but a large scale climate issue

>some next shit
explain thermometers b*tch

Oh btw, please show me the blackbody radiation temperature of the earth from satellites. I really would like to see it. This is the only true measurement of the average temperature of earth. Water, earth, and air do not have the same heat capacity, nor do they have the same heat transfer capabilities; so measuring many little points on earth and assigning an equal value to those data points when calculating the average temp is bullshit.

what do you mean by "some next shit"?
as for thermometers, see

wtf rudumb Google "LANDSAT"
all the data is free and it releases new data every 16 days

>how increases land ice amounts is from warming
more exposed sea --> more moist --> more snow

lol, first thing I see is calibration error causing overestimation.

landsat.usgs.gov/september-27-2013-landsat-7-thermal-band-calibration-update

Also if you could help me find the data, I cannot find it.