I'm disappointed

I'm disappointed.

I know it's unfair to compare it to the movie, but it just feels like a much tidier story. Every scene has a point and connects to another in some way.

The book just seems to ramble on and on about how fucked up Bateman is, shit we already know. It becomes a drag.

The movie is much better as a character study of a sociopath, the book is just "dude yuppie materialism lmao"

>i am a retard that will be probably better in reddit

>go back to r.ddit Imao xD

nice rebuttal

i cant speak with someone with such a superficial appreciation of thing.

>dude the movie is better because is linear when the book is triying to present the mind of a deranged person but it makes my head hurt so is shit lmao

The book isn't even complex, what? It's linear as fuck too, besides that one chapter where Bateman just loses his mind in a phone booth. It just presents a bunch of pointless events that add nothing to the story.

The point of the story was not to tell a tidy, to-the-point narrative

The popularity of this book here is reflective of its demographics.

Aside from a very small population of readers who lived in NYC as an elite in the 80s, this novel is edgy torture schlock, which is admittedly sometimes funny, but not worthy of the praise it gets on Veeky Forums

uncritical praise of this book is reddit incarnate

i think this is one of those rare cases where the movie is better than the book

>"it's supposed to be messy/boring/tiresome/bad!"

This meme needs to die.

>its demographics
Veeky Forums's demographics that is, sorry

yep

>implying I wasn't a New York elite in the 80s
I remember the Four Seasons peanut butter craze.

oh my poor laddie
it seems you have fallen for the "it's longer, so it's more nuanced" meme

the movie just takes the key scenes that are necessary to understand Bateman's character, while the book repeats the same fucking part over and over again

> Baterick goes to dinner with his yuppie friends
> his yuppie friends are superficial cunts without any individuality just like him
> Bateman's depressed and not happy
> Bateman talks about his edgy fantasy to his friends because he's so frustrated
> yuppie life is Hell

repeat x10

Who are you quoting?

repeatx300 I mean

>i'm a retard who can't read between the lines

nice dubs

Yes this one of the few occasions where the movie is actually better than be book.

What others are there? I would vote for The Godfather movies

Clockwork Orange, Fight Club.

nice dubs

Check 'em

2001 A Space Odyssey is more enjoyable than the book though the book possesses more intellectual depth. The movie is so visceral to watch for the first time, especially if you see it young enough.

The book and movie were made in tandem though.

was bateman gay, lads?

>the scene with Bono

Definitely

Metaphors

The Prestige

reading what?

you learn nothing new about Bateman. I actually re-read many of those parts.

how about you enlighten me, instead of spouting the "lel fuck r.ddit tier you are Imao" nonsense you've been shitting out since the beginning

Ehh, I'd say he's less homosexual and more autosexual. Only his own form and personality are stimulating to him, so people or experiences he attributes to himself are arousing.
When he stalks the gay guy into the bathroom and almost kills him before going completely cold feet when caught and sees that his actions have been misinterpreted as requited sexual advances sums up his autosexuality pretty well.

Well, a movie is generally going to be more succinct isn't it?