Are Kindles worth it? If so, which one?

Are Kindles worth it? If so, which one?
Considering a voyager.

I'd honestly just buy them all if I were you. You'll probably end up liking one of them.

awww man you aren't shilling audible this week? kindles are shitty and tablet sales have been declining for 13 straight quarters. people will be more receptive to audible, sure they torrent a lot but eventually they'll sign up for an audible account when some great book they want isn't on any trackers, meanwhile the margins are tiny on the kindle and most kids will just download shit that's out of copyright or pirate mobis, don't get me wrong, amazon stock is sky high so obviously whatever you guys are doing is working, but is the kind really the best product to promote on Veeky Forums? i feel like audible is a better fit, i'd push the kindle in genre fic communities more than here

Are they worth it? Of course not.

My kindle touch is now 5 years old and works perfectly. I cant imagine that newer kindles have the same shelf life.

>Are Kindles worth it?
Yes.
> If so, which one?
The Paperwhite. The Voyager's alright, but not worth the extra cost.

I like tablets because you can read them in the shower. My paperwhite isn't waterproof, but I just put it in a ziplock bag and it works swimmingly.

I was hesitant of e-readers for whatever reason but broke down and bought a Paperwhite in December.

I'm completely sold on e-readers. I download all the books I want for free and the convenience of having all the books in a little device is great. It's definitely worth the $100.

If you can find a good used paperwhite I'd buy it. If you're buying new I'd recommend a kobo or something.

I have a Voyager and it is awesome! You should definitely get one. I have hundreds of incredible books, essays, and even financial reports with me any time I want them. Many of the greatest books in the world, can be gotten free as a mobi or pdf file and then put on your Kindle - saving your precious $$ for only the very best works - those you wish to add to a permanent, physical library. I've used mine a lot, and, for me, it is actually an upgrade from an earlier Kindle, which I also loved.

Highly recommend!

why

I cringed

Are endnotes always shit on e-readers/e-books? On my Kobo I have to jab my finger at the superscript number and get it right about one in five times, and that's when an ebook even has the hyperlink enabled.

Do Kindles do any better? I get the impression they're much the same.

Yep, pretty much the same! The popup thing is nice but if your fingers aren't accurate, you'll end up flipping the page on a Paperwhite

However, it's still better than endnotes in a physical book

The Kobo one definitely isn't better than a physical book. You really have to get it dead on- takes several times as long as flipping to the endnotes on a decently-formatted printed book. And it's not even worth trying if the note is in the 'page turn' part of the screen.

Is the Kindle one literally a pop-up? As in it pops up on the page you're reading, and doesn't jump you to the endnotes page? Could be better, although I'd guess that might be more to do with how the e-book is formatted than the reader.

But really the way to make it better would be to 1. increase the area of screen that registers as a citation (wouldn't take much- say a two-letter-sized bubble around the superscript number), and 2. override the other results of touching that bit of screen.

I want one of these, but the only thing I want it for is archive.org and other similar public domain stuff. Apparently the amazon one doesn't display those types of files (ePub) so I am wondering which is best for that.

Kobo does it, but I'm pretty sure you can also easily convert to Amazon file types.

I just don't like Amazon. And the kobo I wanted was larger and waterproof.
Calibre is free and will convert things for you.

E-book readers confuse me. Nobody tells you if you can load books you already have on disk without having to go through a online account or what formats they display. I have a shit tone of books in mobi, epub and pdf but not in all formats. So whats a good e-reader for around 150 bucks that will let me transfer stuff directly from my laptop and will handle the 3 formats I listed??

>Nobody tells you if you can load books you already have on disk without having to go through a online account
You usually can.

Well, I frequently have my ebooks going for free and on discount, so I think in the long run Kindles can be definitely worth it. Free downloads, all the $0.99 USD books which is very affordable considering some of those at that price are novel-length (50,000+ words), and the discounts that can bring $1.99+ ebooks down to $0.99... there's a lot of reading that can be done for little to no money. On May 15th my first 4 books will be free on ebook. 81,000; 41,000; 16,500; 28,500. Add up those numbers and you have the wordcount you can get for free spread out to 4 different books with different situations and characters and so on. Whether you like the books or not, I dunno, but even if you hate all four you didn't have to spend a penny on them to find out.

There's also Kindle Unlimited for those who read LOTS! I hear it's $9 a month and you have hundreds of thousands if not millions of books to choose from, including all 6 (soon to be 7) of mine. As for the difference between Kindle or Voyager or whatever, I have no fucking clue; I stick to paperbacks and hardcovers, but I understand that most people are going towards ebooks. Quite understandable. Also, reading books via Kindle Unlimited still supports the authors. On average, half a cent per page reads. So if a book is 200 pages, that's roughly $1.00 USD. Might not sound like much, but it most certainly adds up nicely. So with Kindles the readers get VERY affordable reading material, and the writers also make a nice bit of coin as well. Buying a $2.99 USD ebook will typically have around $2.05 go towards the author. 70% royalty, which compared to traditional publishing is ASTONOMICAL! For traditional publishing, maybe 15% royalty if you're lucky and the reader has to pay the cost of a physical copy. Like I said, I prefer physical copies, but I can see the tremendous value in ebooks.

Please be real

I have the original Kobo Touch and I really like it. Doesn't hurt your eyes because it doesn't have a backlight.

Kindle = Reddit
Kobo = Veeky Forums

take the redpill

I am very real.

I found I download lots of books but read less than when I've got a physical copy. There's lot of books I want that I can't find too.

Useful for reading when travelling. I don't really like reading long novels on them, prefer short stories but maybe that's just reading while travelling rather than the kindle.

I like my H2O. It's waterproof and accepts basically all file formats.

I've tried that so i could read it while taking a bath. Didn't work the plastic touching the skin caused it to skip pages and adjust the font size.

I've never had any problems with my kindle. Do you have hot dog fingers or something?