What language are you learning user? How's it coming along?

What language are you learning user? How's it coming along?

Scottish Gaelic, slow.

Other urls found in this thread:

learngaelic.scot/
bbc.co.uk/radionangaidheal
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Russian_suffixes),
archive.org/details/deanoflismoresbo00macluoft
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

French, moderate pace.

What is the best book for learning Latin? I am currently using a book titled "Getting Started With Latin" by William Linney, but it kind of sucks and is short.

Wheelocks latin, i've heard it's pretty good.

The language you are learning has about 100 thousand speakers. What a waste of time.
Spanish maestra raza.

Latin.

It's hard to pace myself with Oreberg. I'll get excited and read several chapters at once, but outpace my ability to internalize the grammar and vocab being introduced. So then I have to go back and reread more carefully.

I worry that I'm learning to recognize grammatical forms, but not internalizing the rules. That is, I can recognize that 'dixit' is the imperfect third person active while reading. But if I wanted to write 'he said', I might be at a loss to come up with the word.

Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata by Orberg

Dixit is perfect; the imperfect is dicebat.

I'm on chapter 16 of wheelock's Latin

Večinoma slovenščina, und Deutsch auch. Un poquito español, et un peu français, mais très lentement.

Right. Keeping track of technical terms is another thing I'm not absorbing.

old church slavonic

German. It's hard.

what books/course are you using, user?

learngaelic.scot/
bbc.co.uk/radionangaidheal

Boyd Robertson, Gordon Wells Speak Gaelic with Confidence with Three Audio CDs A Teach Yourself Guide Teach Yourself Language

Boyd Robertson, Iain Taylor Gaelic a Complete Course for Beginners

Speaking Our Language 3

ok. Buntús Cainte and Progress in Irish are good (if a bit old, but classic and still in print) from the Irish pov. They may supplement/provide diversion to your studies. Never mind the other guy!

latin, i took it as an elective at uni.

regretting it i guess, i'm not putting in the work. i just cram before exams and remember everything, then forget once the exam ends.

i do like puzzling out sentences for translation though, it works a different part of my brain than i usually use.

Russian, I'd probably be a lot further if I put in more time, but I'd say it's coming along well. Can't read Dostoevsky yet but I'm impressed with what I can understand.

If you're a native English speaker it's simple. I was practically fluent after only a year of study. French is much harder. I've been learning that for much longer and am nowhere near fluent. It's been over four years since I began studying it I still make all sorts of small grammatical errors.

I can't choose what language I want to learn. I don't really want to learn one for a country that I haven't been to or dislike because that feels to me like it's wasteful. There's no one source of literature that I like enough to try and read originally either. I've tossed around Russian, French and Japanese and I like others like Finnish but I'm still yet to decide on one.

Learn the one that's fun to learn. In the end no language has practical use unless you move there, the only purpose to learn one is to broaden your horizons and as a hobby.

Do you have any tips for learning verbs? My vocabulary is generally speaking fine, I don't have any major problems with retention, but for some reason I really struggle with verbs. Any advice, other than just studying more?

Not an entire waste of time if, and only if the language is apart of his heritage

I'm doing that too. How are you finding it?

I think it's pretty tough going, but at the same time, it's so comprehensive that it almost makes it easy in a way.

>mfw Japanese so I can watch anime without subtitles and read literature about dissociated societal outcasts

Same here :)

Latin

Lets say it's coming together. Lets also say I have an exam in 3 weeks and I'm a bit worried.

>want to learn French

Any tips for this? I wouldn't like to spend to much time studying, say like an hour a day on weekdays.
I'm a native speaker of English and Spanish btw

Mexican Spanish, Slow as motion at 1 degree kelvin.

German.

Good. Girlfriend and her family are from there and speak it with each other.

Currently trying to improve my English (as British as possible).

European Spanish is my main language (my domain is superior to the usual spaniard) but Romanian is my mother tongue (although I forgot 90% of it).

Are you trying to adopt the British accent as well? I´ve always felt rather conflicted about whether or not I ought to

Yes. I am actually targeting for an Upper RP. Somewhere between Jacob Rees-Mogg, Stephen Fry, with a hint of Richard Burton's voice. Pretentious as fuck, I know.

German.
It feels like a breeze compared to anything else I've done, and I'm probably going to move onto something else soon. Thinking Russian right now, but maybe some romantic language.

Russian, been teaching myself it for the past 8 months. I can read, write, and understand it, but cannot speak worth shit. It is almost becoming passive for me because I do not have many people to speak it with.

keep studying lads

French. Made great progress at first considering none of my learning was conversational at all. Not many French-speaking people where I am. Then I just kind of stopped studying and fell into my same old video game-playing, masturbating self.

Make sure you've got the basic patterns of Я + -y/ю, Tы + eшь Oн/a/и + aeт down, and it usually won't stray much from that, if it does it's for pronunciation sake (like it's easier to say живёт instead of живaeт).
For things like perfective and imperfective aspect, I think of it in terms of English present progressive and perfect (technically perfective and perfect aren't the same, but it helped me immensely in getting the aspects down). The imperf. verb жить has the same meaning as to live and is living, so Я живy в Mocквe is "I live in Moscow" and "I am living in Moscow." Я пoжил в Mocквe is "I have lived in Moscow" or Я пpoчитaл Дocтoeвcкoгo "I have read Dostoevsky" Basically, use "have verb-ed" for perfective and you'll get it.
Reflexives are pretty easy in that they're verbs that relate back to the subject in some way, either with something like "I wash myself" or in an intransitive way like "the door closed" There's a lot of other ways, but keeping that in mind should help a lot.
I also like the russian suffix list on wiktionary (en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Russian_suffixes), it's been really helpful in breaking down long words into something a lot more understandable.

If you need a good book on Russian grammar, A Comprehensive Russian Grammar by T. Wade is about as comprehensive as you can get (Sometimes a little too comprehensive).
Hope this helped ;^)

I've been learning German for 6 years and I still can't read Spengler and can only understand about ~40% or less of the average dialogue (like talk show level).

It doesn't help that Germans are complete assholes about their language.

'Speaking our language' is probably the best television programme for learning Scottish gaelic. I'm a native speaker and my family still watches the repeats because of how interesting they find the sketches and how it moves to a different place every week.

Czech. Moderately slow, but I'm learning by immersion so I try to pick up something new every day

German

It's not going great

I tried learning spanish for a long time, but finally gave up. I know some, am am far from fluent.

Portuguese. As a native Spanish speaker, it's been somewhat of a breeze to learn as most of the vocabulary is shared with the odd exception of a couple of words. Been learning for little over 10 months and am pretty much fluent though still have some difficulties every now and then.

German

It's fine I guess i'm visibly improving with every session

Il est intéressant que t'as choisi d'apprendre la langue slovène. Est-ce que t'as une grande curiosité de la littérature slovène ou as-tu l'intention d'y aller pour habiter?

Honestly, keep your foreign accent. If you adopt an accent that has any connotation of any class, people will instantly dislike you for it. People may dislike you for your foreign accent, too, but at least you won't have spent ages trying to sound like that for nothing.

This is what i used it's pretty fucking great.

russki
real slow

french, duolingo i am at 44% fluency, when i will able to read baudellaire?

I think we should make a language wiki and some learning groups since learning languages is a recurring topic

Japanese. I should apply myself more.

French, went from not being able to say a single sentence about 9 months ago to reading Camus. Still have a long way to go though

Absolutely up for this

I started learning Gaelic, pay homage to my heritage etc. However I then found out I was pictish (a people whose language is lost to the ages).
Scottish Gaelic is about as Scottish as cricket, so if you're learning as I did for the significance to our history I'd miss it and learn something useful.
Russian gives you access to alot of good reading.
Also german and french.
Or go full autist and learn ancient greek then latin. Those are the foundation to most language and you start to notice their influence everywhere.
French is aesthetic as fuck, spanish if you have alot of contact with spaniards but for no other reason Im my opinion.

As you mentioned you wish to improve on your English I will take the liberty in offering you some advice.
>(my domain is superior to the usual spaniard)
This doesn't read well, I gleam from it as I think you intend; that your command of spanish is better than that of an average spaniard, however it's clumsy English and a bad choice of words.
Spanish is a domain and you can be superior in it, however your domain cannot be superior unless you're using the word as a descriptor to the breadth of your knowledge of spanish words.
t. Native British English speaker

Currently listening to Michel Thomas French cds.

I feel I'm taking French lesson from Zizek.

want to learn french. how did you do it? are you conversational?

100% duolingo flueny won't bring any close to reading poetry. Maybe children's book or books that use a very basic vocabulary.

Poetry probably the hardest thing to read in a foreign language. I would stay away from it for now.

I already thought of this. I am a bit of a snob, the weird and educated guy no matter where I go. I use fountain pen, just imagine...

I get weekly lessons from a French girl who is studying near me and in my own time I used Duolingo and Memrise to practise grammar and vocabulary. Although lately I've kind of gone past their use.

Having a tutor is great for me even just to have someone there to be checking up on my progress.
Since whenever I learned languages on my own I tended to find it hard to stay motivated over long periods and end up dropping them. On a good day I'm fairly conversational although my listening comprehension still has a long way to go, I definately read a hell of a lot better than I hear.

Japanese and okay, sadly not enough time to properly study vocables and Kanji so I forget many while reading.
Might start relearning Russian next semester, depending on how busy my masters will be.

I humbly accept your advice. I will commit sudoku silently, in order to restore my lost honor.

is she cute?

Yes

I'm taking Spanish in school, and I'm becoming fluent in it. I don't exactly like it though.

Planning on taking up Arabic this summer when I don't have to spend time balancing work and school.

Chinese
Italian
Ancient Greek

Figuring I should just focus on one but I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid to do that because I'll forget what I've learned for the others. Looks like I'll just tough it out. I know Spanish so Italian is a breeze. Greek is harder than Chinese

anyone know of any good language guides for french or german? I need to know what books to get.

I like the Living Language series best myself

Japanese and Mandarin.
All right.

(OP) here. if you're pictish why not learn Common Brittonic?

Because the relation between them is speculative, and I don't want to learn something that may be completely irrelevant to me.
You Gaelic?

French, and I attend classes so moderate pace i guess.

Also this but motivating myself to actually learn stuff is quite difficult. I've already finished learning the kana, but I can't get myself to continue forward. It's like I'm stuck.

I'm also a native spanish speaker, so this year I'm sitting for the CAE exam.

Why is Hebrew so hard to learn?
t. native German speaker

Speaking of Scottish, what is some good Scottish literature?

Thats on int

norman davies short stories

if a time to keep doesnt fuck you up you arent human

Salve amice! Quomodo te habes? Quid novi tecum?

Nihil novus mecum est...

Nil novi sub sole :^)

Litteras scribo. Multis agendis sunt.

Solus semper sum :(

afaik the picts eventually integrated into gaelic culture and language, so it might not be an entire waste of time

then again the gaels have pretty much integrated into english culture and language

I'm a native Scot myself and my grandfather came from Jura, but I don't see much reason in dedicating my time to learning a dying tongue. We've lost the battle already. The English won.

its quite a shame

someone learn italian with me.

Be my little spaghetti noodle and I'll be your spicy meatball

Arabic, bretty good

archive.org/details/deanoflismoresbo00macluoft

Recognise you from /eire/

^^

Boipucci is leaking lads

Any Russian learners or Russians here? How hard is Chekhov in Russian?

Russian and a bit of german

Im already fluent in italian. Though i still need to sharpen it up a little (When to use ne or ci as articles, or conjugations).

I picked up an abridged "Bhagavad-gītā as it is" on a second hand bookstore; and have been learning the devanagari alphabet since. (Fuck combined consonants). One of you anons shared a pdf. of Max Müller's Handbooks for the study of sanskrit; though i've been thinking of leaving sanskrit for later and pick up another romance

scottish gaelic is meme tier. you got spooked by romanticism and burns

>learning a dying language
should just learn gothic, at least that's more impressive

stirnerfags are the worst

Ich habe seit 9 Monaten Deutsch studiert. Es geht gut, aber ich finde die Endungen sind am schwierigsten. Sie sind sehr verwirrend. Ich muss in kurzer Sätze sprechen, aber ich kann jetzt einige Teile deutscher Bücher lessen :-)

Lesen*
Damn autocorrect

Learning french. I feel like I've plateaued. I need to figure out grammar better before I can beef up my vocab, but I don't have good resources.