PhD interview

I have a PhD interview next week, does anyone have any advice?
Pic related

interview? damn i just got accepted and offered a plane ride to visit during an admittance trip.

Pee on prof to show dominance

Is the interview in person, by phone or skype? If Skype or phone, have cock out.

Wow, that sounds quite sweet user

what program? I'm assuming pure math, since they tend to admit without any interviews

He didn't get shit yet! Don't pat him on the back for merely participating!

It's in person ;(

shit. Well do you have access to a butt plug by any chance?

i mean just talk about your research and it should be fine.

once you get into interviews, it's just random who gets accepted

biology

ic. Congrats!

>biology

noice.

It's recruitment season, user. If they're meeting you in person they already want you and just need to check if you're secretly a deadbeat in person. I applied for chemistry PhD programs and just started to hear back.

Exciting times for the 2% of Veeky Forums that actually does research.

Which university?

>claims to have a "PhD interview"
>posts freshman QM
So you're an experimentalist? Read your Griffiths kid.

thanks but it's a little late, ive been in the program for a year
yea yea, but it's super chill and ive always loved it.
yea already into it, it's been quite an experience so far
Some polytechnic. good research facilities/staff though.

Man I loved visitations for graduate school. My favorite visitation was the University of Florida. They rented out an entire trashy ass bar for the second night so the prospective grad students could mingle with the current chemistry grad students. That shit was out of control. I had my first one night stand that night.

I have a machine learning interview coding question tomorrow, does anyone have any advice?

I just got an invite. Too bad our department doesn't get the Yosemite trip.

When I was accepted into my current grad program, my now-adviser called me to try and convince me to accept. We had a whole conversation and I finally told him I had already accepted. He was kind of like "oh well that was a phone call which didn't need to happen."

It's cool though, he totally doesn't think I'm an idiot.... probably.

Anyways, if you got an interview it's either standard procedure for a uni that only accept ~10 people, or they're on the fence about you and need to make sure you're not a total moron. Figure out who you'll be talking to and learn the basics of their research. Most new recruits into grad school have no idea what they want to focus on during their PhD, so you don't need to have all the answers.

Often times they ask foreign students to do interviews just to see if they can even speak the language. There are TONS of Chinese students who look good (i.e. better than you) on paper, but don't get accepted into American universities because they can't communicate as well as you can.

It's the potential of a Josephson junction that's used to create a qubit. The potential is a trig function, not quadratic, so the energies aren't evenly spaced.

cont.

Oh and it couldn't hurt to ask a current grad student there (before your interview) what you should expect. They'll know the people you're meeting with pretty well and will give you much better advice than anyone on Veeky Forums. So if the interview is on visit day or something like that, just take some time before hand and pull aside a grad student who looks like they have nothing better to be doing. They'll appreciate the fact you care about their opinion.

I don't think it's really that big of a deal. I mean, just talk about what you've done and don't spill your spaghetti all over the floor. Pretty sure they just want to make sure you're not an idiot.

>Hue

>just to see if they can even speak the language

I can still remember one of my foreign friends ask me to help with his paper that got rejected within a few days. Turns out, dude have terrible command of English. He's playing Dragon Age at that time. Imagine, writing an EE paper but using fantasy novel language.

>Imagine, writing an EE paper but using fantasy novel language.
I'm a physicist, so I have no concept of what constitutes research in an engineering field, but that still sounds terrible.

If I were to separate my cohort into people who do and do not play video games, I would have to a large extent (though not entirely) separated them into groups of people who are not and are (respectively) making significant progress in their work.

Don't fuck up and get super drunk at the receptions, dont try to fuck the grad students, read the most recent paper or two for any PI you're meeting one on one with.

Like someone else said, if you got an interview they already want you, they just need to make sure you're a stable human being and serious about a career in science.

Pay attention to the mood in the schools you visit. You're going to spend the next five to seven years there, you don't want to go someplace where every grad student you meet acts like they're one bad day from suicide.

Seconding this. Good luck OP!