Hey /lit, i have a question:

Hey /lit, i have a question:

I am thinking about writing an epic poem which is set in the future in my native language. Would it be worth the effort?

What is your native language.

Hungarian. I have read the works of most of our poets but none of them ever wrote a real epic.

They're still fucking amazing.

Define "worth".

If you're good enough, yes, if not, no
the way to find out is to do it, and revise it, and revise again, until you can't make it any better

Begin it now.
At worst it will be bad, and you may find things where you can improve.

Allright. I have enough spare time anyways. If i actualy get the hang of it i return

Yes

If you expect people to read it, probably not. It's hard to get people to read even the epic poems that are already considered great.

But if you just want to write good poetry, then yeah, why not.

It sounds interesting, but epic poetry has been dead for maybe two centuries (meaning that the end result is generally tedious, and that no one bothers reading).

The usual trap is thinking that a long poem will impress, while it only bores people stiff--even when the poem is godlike.

Maybe writing a collection of shorter epic poems (like Hugo in La Légende des Siècles) would be more interesting.

I have read the posts of most of your people and NONE of them are remarkable. My thinking says to me you should not pursue this goal.

Do you get off on sounding like a pretentious snob?

The dude was hardly a full snob. If that triggered you, then you should toughen up a bit. It could be way worse.

yeah because I'm sure that user is a world-renowned expert and critic on epic poetry and can safely say with such crushing definity that epic poetry is a dead art form

>epic poem
>set in the future

Sounds like fucking garbage

>such crushing definity

I used the word "maybe".

Holyshit man, you been reading many hot new epic poems or something?
Shut your pseud mouth

Also, I was recently reading Th. Gautier's review of a (failed) epic poem written by Soumet in 1841, and Gautier concluded:

>In the state of neglect where serious literature lies today, it truly is an act full of heroism to publish an epic poem

So, even two centuries ago, epic poetry looked moribund.

lmao

And the exact same thing was said of the Romantic poets in the late 17th/early 18th centuries (and indeed many were met with criticism during their lives). An entire movement based around the revival of a 'dead' art form. I don't have a problem with anyone saying that epic poetry is not as popular as it once was, but it grates on me that user can say any form of art is 'dead'. It's simply inaccurate and especially rude when OP wants to write one. Just personally don't see the need to make meaningless comments like user has.

Oh shut the fuck up faggot, you're probably just getting sensitive because you have some equally laughable project in the works

I say go for it.

You see something missing in your culture, so fill the gap. Someone has to do it.

Just remember, you may not be appreciated until well after your death. But don't let that discourage you. Write!

I don't, I just think you're an idiot

Go for it. In the worst case it will be bad and you'll learn something, so it still isn't bad.

So, what are the best epic poems of 2016 and 2017?