Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

Do you know any good books on military tactics?

I'm talking operational level, basic, boots on the ground stuff.

Can be military, can be guerrilla, asymmetrical warfare, resistance, small squad tactics, anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/military-manuals
globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/index.html
guides.grc.usmcu.edu/usmcreadinglist
youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbIIaW4aWI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The sulking way of war.

FM 7-22 (PT, probably superseded now)
Soldier's Handbook (TRADOC PAM 600-4, Ch8 especially)
Ranger Handbook
Soldier's Manual of Common Tasks (SMCT)

Dunno about other services, but reading and mastering these is 99% of what the Army teaches you about small unit tactics. Cheers.

Thank you mate.

Ulysses if you read it right.

You're welcome. Incidentally, if your question was asked for a practical purpose, 7-22 is first for a reason. Fitness is far more important than proficiency in checkpoint procedure or knowing how to prepare an enfilade. If you are writing fiction, be sure to stress that. Physical conditioning to the point of boredom is inescapable. Also, FM 3-0 is Operations. It should give you an idea of the organization of units and projection/support structures within the Army. Slightly outdated, but good enough.

I am an Army LT in the Brazilian Army.

We are using American Manuals from World War 2.

I'd like to know more and be better prepared for a modern combat environment, since my country is going to shit.

Thank you for what you provided though, i looked trough some of those and they have some interesting material.

JFC Fuller: The Conduct of War

I've watched too many videos of Brazilian motorcycle jackings, robberies, and random shootouts. Just living there seems like a deployment. Not hating on your country, just saying your assessment seems to be correct. Stay safe sir y que Dios te bendiga.

That's day-to-day life.

Now, apart from the heavy armed thugs in the favelas, we also have leftist militias and syrian immigrants (already throwing bombs at ppl).

Not to mention the political collapse that will probably result in another coup very soon.

I'll probably be deployed soon, and i sure as hell won't be using WW2 doctrine.

Thank you.

Actually, specific to your scenario could be FM 3-06. MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain). Published in 2003, from before the trials of Fallujah, but it's what I was trained on and it hasn't changed much. Basically it is SWAT tactics. Stacking on doorways, clearing rooms, settings cordons, etc. Hope that helps.

Now THAT will come in handy, especially if it deals in those narrow corridors and clusters of houses we have in the favelas.

We don't have any manuals for that here at all, so we've just been using common sense and hoping for the best.

I'll give them all a few good reads, thank you.

Just a quick mspaint on room clearing. You probably get this training, but it's good to practice. This is the "glass house" training every soldier receives. Lay out an imaginary structure on the ground, then practice clearing it with a team. Team stacks on the door. #4 man kicks open door. #1 man rushes forward/left, clearing targets. #2 man behind him, rushing forward/right, clearing targets. And so on, until threats are eliminated and the room is clear. Repeat until building is called clear. Aggression and speed takes priority. Sorry if it is basic, but maybe it can save lives.

Two main differences is we would have two men going in at once, their line of sight crossing into an X, and instead of stacking them all together they'd be split in 2 groups, one at each side of the door.

This method seems to be more effective though, less room for error, especially when we are talking about conscripted soldiers.

They all end up in the same position, but the process is slightly overcomplicated

By "This method seems to be more effective" i mean your method.

It is easier to teach too, i'll probably switch to it.

Can I download these from the usual venues (#books, gen.lib etc.)? I'm not an army man, just curious. Especially in this:
>organization of units and projection/support structures within the Army
Do I just look up those titles you posted?

Worked for me, you can usually find these in google, they are open distribution.

Why the fuck are they using manuals from WW2? I know they don't have much money to spend, but surely if they can afford tanks and helicopters than they can afford some more modern books.

Thanks. They are in the public domain? I thought these would be classified or at least hard to obtain. Is it because they are basic and trivial for army personnel with more than basic training? Or is it because they are older versions? Are any of the above in use with the US Army? Not that I mind either way, I don't know the first thing about army organization and tactics.

Never understood why. It's even funnier because we didn't inspire our doctrine in yours, we literally copy pasted and translated into portuguese.

They are public domain, you can't train hundreds of thousands of people and expect it to remain a secret anyway, though some stuff is removed from the public ones, i'm sure.

And no, they are not trivial, and i'm sure you would be able to find newer versions quite easily too. You could say they are all still in use in the US Army, they would be the base of the US Army just as they are in Brazil, ours are just outdated as fuck since we never had the need to modernize.

As an example, here you can download all the Brazillian (American WW2 translated) manuals.

bdex.eb.mil.br/jspui/

Not sure if there's such a site for the US Army, but i could find most of the recommended on google.

archive.org/details/military-manuals

globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/index.html

If you watch room clearing excercise videos on Youtube, there's tons of comments by soldiers that say the American room clearing method is crap and immediately gets thrown out the window the second the enemy is aware of your presence. Lrn2 Israeli room clearing
(I'm by no means anything but an armchair general, but it does seem obvious even to me that the American method works in theory only)

US Military manuals are free and public domain. I went and downloaded rifle and pistol marksmanship training manuals a couple month ago. Use a search engine.

"On Killing" is an interesting book that delves into the psychology of combat, and well, killing. There is some controversy surrounding some of the evidence the author uses but even if some stuff was outright fabricated I still think the book is useful.

In particular it gives a great testimony as to why bayonet charges could possibly work and how they can still be powerful in the modern age.

You'd be foolish if it wasn't noted in some database you were downloading these things though

Storm of Steel for clearing tenches with a club

guides.grc.usmcu.edu/usmcreadinglist

Invisible armies by Max Boot

Pretty much a full history on guerrilla warfare

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Yeh, the carefully crafted scenarios in training are not always applicable in practice. It is theory, but it informs individual decision-making under stress. What is important is drilled on: speed, pushing through, watching your sector of fire, working as a team. Like in small unit maneuvers of assaulting an enemy position, it's never going to be as simple and neat as training and it doesn't have to be. Just being familiar with the essentials and everyone sharing a vocabulary increases survivability.

/k/ pls

youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbIIaW4aWI Read the comments also

That's dumb. The argument boils down to: I'm a pussy and not going to do my job because maybe I'll get shot. If you know a building is occupied by hostiles, you soften it before entry or set a cordon. Fearing "two guys with automatic weapons" trained on your entryway is defeatist. They're well armed... I guess we should leave the bad guy alone!

NO. You blow the door and rush. Walk over them, alligator arm them, knock them on their ass. Do it so quickly they don't have an opportunity to fire. Keep weapon at high ready but you aren't clearing by looking down the sights. You clear by being better equipped, louder, more aggressive, and more determined than the opposition. If you get shot, that's what armor and medics are for. Killing bad guys is not an occupation for doubters.