STEM and fiscal prosperity:

How do you make a fortune in STEM nowadays?
As knowledge alone in this day and age isn't going to put my children through university.

you dont. no one ever did.

But what about all of those loaded engineers? Or physics graduates, in Musk's case?

Create PayPal. He was an idiot anyway. Wanted to switch from Linux to windows servers

Shit, if you are half way decent and can write really well, you will be successful. Most enginerrs and programmers are shit at writing things like reports and memos. Also, a lot of engineers make great money giving presentations.

If I wanted to do that shit I wouldn't have gone into STEM at all.

So, you're saying come up with a novel piece of software?

That's true, but giving speeches isn't exactly intellectually stimulating.

Study STEM in uni and work outside of it.

I said the same thing about programming when I went into mechE. But nooo, I have to use matlab 8+ hours a week.

>Study physics and mathematics
>Work as an MBA
Why even bother?

That's hardly programming. You're still modeling mechanical systems but just with a computer. Would you rather be the union worker that actually puts it all together?

Savage.

Any more ideas?

It's pretty much the only way to do it.
It's not like you can do it by being a History major.

1. Become engineer.
2. Get superiors to believe (one way or another) that in addition to knowing your engineering stuff, you're also really good at managing money, and can motivate people enough to actually do things.
3. Become a manager.
4. Take baths in $100 bills.

Why does this all involve interpersonal skills? :(

Because the normies hate us, and don't understand that nothing we know is all that meaningfully relevant to our jobs. So they have to judge us by metrics that they understand.

>Wanted to switch from Linux to windows servers

What a fucking moron

Get a Ph.D. in pure math while taking all of your electives in financial mathematics and numerical analysis. Then work making trading bots.

Sad times, indeed.

Now, that certainly sounds far more interesting.

>Now, that certainly sounds far more interesting.
It is also a real thing. Typical companies already work like this but there are specific trading firms started by mathematicians who bias their hiring towards mathematicians and scientists (and by science I mean real science so stuff like physics).

There is also other stuff. If you watch 3blue1brown you know he shills for the shekels literally every video and it is always "this company is looking for mathematicians like you!".

In his previous video he shilled for a company that designs bus routes, I suppose using graph theory and the sort.

You know what, user, you've really given me some direction with this post.
I have Asperger's syndrome and am, because of it skilled in finding patterns (surprise, surprise). Which also influenced by choice to study dual honours (UK) physics and mathematics and was wondering what I could really do with it to support a family, outside of rare research opportunities.
I think you've helped me discover my calling, thank you.

You are welcome, good luck.

2 words

Nuclear Engineering

If it had a more promising political climate, then maybe.

Once you get yourself into the federal nuclear labs like Oak Ridge, you're set.

There is NO MONEY IN STEM

People fall into the cycle of: get BS in a science degree --> find out there is no jobs while also in debt --> go to masters --> no jobs still --> go to phD ---> teach till death

That'd be awkward for a Briton. I mean, I'm fairly sure you have to become a naturalized citizen before even thinking about attempting to get the clearance required.
For that, I'd either have to try and transfer or do my graduate schooling in the United States and then apply for citizenship after 5 years (I think).

If I can't find a job, I'll make jobs.

You can't get a great amount of money out of nowhere. You got to convince people to give it. That's what the interpersonal skills thing is all about.

Whoa, this is quite profound.

>there are specific trading firms started by mathematicians who bias their hiring towards mathematicians and scientists (and by science I mean real science so stuff like physics).
Literally only Renaissance that does that.

>If I can't find a job, I'll make jobs.
With what capital? Face it, broke scientists can't make jobs.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Where there is a will, there is a way, that's an axiom, right? Right?!
But what about the American Dream?

>here is NO MONEY IN STEM
Meh. Depends how much. For a somewhat comfy life in the top let's say 35th percentile of the income distribution, STEM is somewhat a safe bet - as long as you pick wisely (e.g. astronomy NO, particle physics NO, environmental physics YES, fluid mechanics YES, etc.). If you want riches and fortune, there's usually no straightforward way apart from marrying into wealthy families. If you want BIG money on the order of millions per year, you need great ideas and perseverance, regardless of your higher education.

This is very true.

Most people in STEM have no writing or public speaking talent. Have at least one of those and you'll be well off.

You don't, companies will continue to find ways to reduce your salary, they will also soon form a oligopoly in order to globally bring down your salary to mere pennies and all the saved money will go into the CEOs pockets so they can enjoy an extra nice breakfast (LOL).

If you try and get out of this new povety line with creating your own business or inventing somthing revolutionary don't bother, the companies jewish lawyers will find ways to steal it from you claiming it belonged to them.

Thank you.

I'm Ashkenazi though.

Most scientists sell out to corporations because they are incapable of getting products into the consumers hands. You need to find customers

You're pretty much just commoner filth to the oligarchs. Don't flatter yourself.