General recommendation

A thread for people to ask for book recommendation, so that they don't have to make new threads.

I'm looking for writers similar to Walser and Nescio, and I'm also looking for books on wandering, forests, plants, birds, nature in general and so on.

get x job

haha ebin spam my friend

walden

bump

>wandering, forests, plants, birds, nature in general and so on.

Some recs, some of which are obvious:

The Peregrine, Werner Herzog keeps on recommending this one, it's definitely unique.

There is a recent book that builds on TH White's 'The Goshawk' called "H is for Hawk", autobiographical story from a woman who tried to raise a hawk interwoven with, I didn't like it very much, the two interwoven stories don't work out for me. 'The Goshawk' itself wasn't that great either.

There are a few 'one year in...' books that are nice, like
- The Forest Unseen: A Year's Watch in Nature. This one focuses a lot on biology and networks of species' interaction.
- Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness. That one is more about solitude, from a guy who lived in a fire lookout tower.

Walden is an obvious choice, as is Into The Wild.

Oh I forgot, now that I mentioned Herzog: he once walked from rural Germany to Paris to visit a sick friend, the notes from that walk have been collected into a book: Of Walking In Ice.

I've read Of Walking In Ice, Into the Wild was quite nice, better than the film, The Forest Unseen was also a nice book and cosy book to read before sleep. I've also read H is for Hawk and I actually liked it, perhaps I'll try something by TH White. Oh, and when it comes to Walden I'm close to the ending, going to end it in few days I guess.
I have the Peregrine on my to-read list, and now I'll add the Fire Season too.
I also have The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate:Discoveries from a Secret World and I'm going to read it soon.
I also have Desert solitaire : a season in the wilderness, A Sand County Almanac : With Other Essays on Conservation from Round River and American Forests and Steep Trails by Muir. I have also three books by Robert Macfarlane and Wildwood by Roger Deakin.

I think that I've got some of those recommendations from you already, so thank you.

Actual book discussions on Veeky Forums are the best.

I've seen that The Hidden Life of Trees, it was a big success in Germany (unusual because they rarely do non-fiction), the author has a follow-up on the 'hidden life of animals', but it hasn't been translated yet.

If you try anything by TH White make it The Once And Future King, that's the kind of book I will constantly read to my son once he's old enough. But it has little to do with OP's questions, it's a retelling of the Arthurian saga with some modern elements added.

A really good biography of a naturalist is the recent The Invention of Nature, on Alexander von Humboldt and how he was the first to see nature as a complex network.

The Invention of Nature sounds interesting, I think I will get it.

The Hidden Life of Trees is quite popular in Poland too, and it too is surprising because not often you can see a good book, and a non-fiction book getting that popular here. I got the English translation of it and I'm going to start reading it soon, also I hope that The Hidden Life of Animals will get translated soon.

Richard Brautigan comes to mind as similar to Walser in some ways with his brief little idiosyncratic stories. He's partly focused on American culture, but Trout Fishing in America is generally about meandering through nature, in particular rivers, ponds, forests.

Thanks, I'll try it.

Have you read this, OP?

bump

I got a kindle with some books from a friend. Dostoevsky's The Idiot, The Brothers Karmazov, and Crime and Punishment.

Got sick of videogames and TV, etc. etc. I want something that will encourage critical thinking on a variety of subject matters, it can be philosophy or modern issues, I really need to learn to think for myself, so any insight would be appreciated.

did heb died?

how about a chinese guide?

I've read a lot of sci fi and fantasy, but I'm interested in more realistic fiction.

From school I've enjoyed Lord of the Flies, Fountainhead, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Great Gatsby.

Any suggestions?

there you go mate

Narciss and Goldmund

Is The Peregrine different from Cortazar's Axolotl? It seems like the same premise.

If you have onyl read fiction from the english curriculum and enjoyed many of that; just have a look at german/french/italian/russian curriculums and take books from there.

can someone recommend me a book that teaches me how to be a real person

let's pretend i'm a millennial shit who doesn't understand manners or temperence and is a general piece of shit

how to become a "great man"

ie what books would you give your kid if you wanted to teach him virtue and shit

Hey I picked up A Sand Country Almanac a few months back, maybe I'll actually read it now. I just finished Riding the Wild Side of Denali which is about two women who live up in rural Alaska trapping and raising horses. You might find it interesting, it's pretty authentic.

What you're looking for is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. It's like 70 pages.

thanks mate i'll check it out

Virtue can't be taught.

The above mentioned The Once And Future King

Maybe someone should create a 'how to be a human being' rec. list, there are a a few biographies I could add

- Goethe - Kunstwerk des Lebens from Safranski (any sufficiently detailed Goethe biography should be good, I expect one from the Americans now that Humboldt's biography was so successful)
- White's A. Lincoln
- Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning
- Orwell's essays
- Fromm's The Art Of Loving
- Nietzsche's Human, All Too-Human
- Becker's The Denial Of Death
- Lewis' A Grief Observed

thanks lads

Walden by Henry David Thoreau, if you want a chill (sometimes even a bit boring) mix of nature observation and light philosophy.

Ah, sorry, should have read the thread first.

Books on wandering forests and plants? Try Day of The Triffids.

kekk

Start with Crime and Punishment