Ask a guy that just read this anything

Ask a guy that just read this anything

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/niSLZDVApdQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Suppose you have two energy eigenstates, A and B, in superposition. You take an energy measurement. As you probably know, you will measure the energy as either A or B.

If these energies are different, does this mean anything about energy conservation? If you measure the higher energy state, is there now more energy than if you had measured the lower energy state?

Bohr spoke a lot about "the unavoidable influence on atomic phenomena caused by observing them".

How can we come to know anything if observing things might change them?

Not sure. Don’t think this was covered.

Observing destroys superpositions so he was right. You can however observe the final result of a unitary process, just not the events occurring mid process.

I guess not everyone needs to know

Not op but.
Energy conservation can only meaningfully be stated in terms of expectation values though. You can only ask if the expectation of the hamiltonian is a constant of the motion or not (which for time independent hamiltonians is always true).

Guy entered train on point A.

Train started to move.

After 3hours, guy left train at point B 15KM away.

What the distance train traveled?

Yea, and I always hear people say this. But rarely are they courageous enough to answer my question: is there now more energy than if you had measured the lower energy state?

If you believe what you are saying strongly enough, then your answer should be "Yes, because energy only has a sharp meaning outside of quantum superposition of energy eigenstates. I am not at all bothered by the fact that, if you repeat this experiment twice, you could end up with different values of the energy, because energy was poorly defined in the first place."

But that just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it's a personal thing.

Did you read young and freedman first? Curious how different they are, Ive heard young and freedman is basically mandatory before anything else. Also yes I'm new to physics so I can't offer a lot of insight in return

How do you feel knowing absolutely none of it has an iota of real value and is worse of a read than the lord of the rings?

is everything you do done for attention?
do you feel like you need our approval?

I more or less believe that I guess. But at the very least can you see that at least for this system there is no well-defined notion of energy just like plane-waves have no well-defined position as they are a linear combination of eigenstates which is not itself an eigenstate.

How does the photoelectric effect work?

Any measurement implies an interaction with something, that means, you can never know exactly how much energy the system had before the measurement, and because of that you can't talk about energy conservation (in the sense of clasical physics) because your system isn't "closed"

are you saying that quantum physics isn't very practical so it doesn't have much real value to know and understand it?

If I have 3 spinned particles in a quantum harmonic oscillator with no interaction potential and the occupied energy eigenstate is a|0>+b|0>+c|0> where a, b, c are complex constants, can i tell if the particles are bosons or fermions?

Definitely not covered

Explain to me the Cabibo-Kobayashi-Maskawa matrix ;)

youtu.be/niSLZDVApdQ

if you can't answer that basic question, then this QM book must be terrible.

All QM books are terrible
t. someone who actually works with QM

Griffiths is fun.

you could say the same about conservation of momentum, and superpositions of momentum eigenstates.

the fact is that there's just quantum fuzziness in all these variables at that level.

In order to create a mixed energy state, you must have made a mixed energy state somewhere else as well, if that helps.

Also without the uncertainty relation regarding energy, there would be no way for quantum fields such as electrodynamics to exert forces and keep your body held together :)

What is spin?

Favorite color now?

Then you haven't seen Shankar or Sakurai, friend.

Nice.

This is what we get for educating copenhagen cucks. They think "oy vey, we have this one state".

kys Bohmian brainlet