ITT: We post the shittest meme books in existence

>just ordered this book

I don't get how so many people here are able to compare different textbooks on the same subjects. How many textbooks do you read?

You can usually tell if something is good or shit after reading one chapter.

[math]\frac{-1}{12}[/math]

They try spivack, faik because its not plug and chug and go to stwart. Though Spivack isn't that easy to get because he mixes formalism with words and assumes a lot of shit, so maybe it shouldn't be your first book, but it's excelent for college level. Sad that americans don't take calc in hs were they can learn the plug and chug and intuitive view.

Get a refund

what's wrong? i heard so many good things about it...
(i am 18 yo high school student... in my country the top math class is calculus which i took but i have done some math competitions. it looked like it was good for my level)

This books is the biggest meme going. Opened by the first chapter and all it is is proving simple shit using associativity, distributive laws etc. Such a shit book. Apostol is infinitely better

Stop deluding yourself m8, its shit.

I use 2-3 books for anything I'm legitimately interested in, and I'll sometimes download/browse in uni library a few more.
It's good to have alternative viewpoints and explanations of things. And although the groundwork is similar there's lots of variation in what additional topics the author thinks are important.

Literally no one has a bad opinion on this perfect book

Those problems are supposed to teach you how mathematical proofs work because further chapters have much more dense proofs. If you don't care about formalism and analisis, yea don't get this, but it's perfect for math and physics majors.
Why do you belive it's shit? The only thing I hear from everyone is that it doesn't concentrate on problem solving and geometric intuition, but then the intention of the book is to show both. But I usually recomend to grab other books for those sort of problems, because a really important part of learning math is knowing how to learn from various sources.

I've never seen either of those complaints.
The problem with Spivak is that it's a frankenstein calculus-analysis course that ultimately sucks at both.
The point of basic calculus is to get you comfortable with using the machinery of integrals and derivatives and applying them to problems, which Spivak isn't good for.
But at the same time it's far too shallow to be a proper analysis textbook.
It's just not a good use of anybody's time.

Every book is equally worthless. No one knows anything of real value and therefore cannot teach anything of real value. You are more likely to get a cold from reading a book.

People are fucking brainlets and i can patiently wait until you are all dead.

Hold the fuck up brother. I don't know if it was just my calc teacher, but we used plug and chug recursively during my classes.

With a mindset like that you'll die before any of us.

Lang being a meme is a meme. His exposition is great.

No, but with a mindset like yours its easy to see how you misunderstood the post.

The book is great. My school uses the 4th ed for calc 1 and 2 and I learned a lot from it. I don't think it should be your first calculus book though

Again that's why is good for courses were you are expected to know the geometric intuitive calculus from hs. I don't mean be really good at it, but be familiar with the concepts and general arguments. Maybe it's because my country is weirs and we get to se calc, but I wouldn't say I knew how to solve all the essential problema in calculus. Spivack was great because it had enough problems to fill the gaps, but also present a first glance of analysis and proofals. I have to accept that a lot was my teachers who complemented the book, filled what Spivack left out and even went further beyond into the formalism, but at the end they gave exercices were you have to solve practical problems. At the end, this better construction and understanding made it easy to go into higher level analysis much smoothly while giving a clear perspective of calculus concepts. I assumed there are more unis and countriea were kids come out in this limbo of not even knowing what calculus is and mastering intuitive calc1-3.

If I have time I will continue my dump of babbys with meme books later

Just found this

Only 2 calculus textbooks are needed:

Stewart for engineering and physics brainlets
Tom Apostol for math gods.

>His exposition is great.
Wrong.

Whatever you say, brainlet. I breezed through Spivak because of that book.

>I breezed through Spivak because of that book.
You'd have to be severely impaired to not breeze through Spivak.

I thought it was challenging.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about my book, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the University of Chicago , and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Pearson Education, and I have over 300 confirmed books. I have a PhD in pure math and I’m the top reader in the entire US literature community. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of librarians across the USA and your ISBN is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can read you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare eyes. Not only am I extensively trained in number theory, but I have access to the entire library of congress I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

>I thought it was challenging.
You must be severely impaired.

Wow, you have a really big brain!

Epic.
Learn how to read a math book next time.

>Learn how to read a math book next time.
What do you mean?

shartshorne is the biggest meme on this side of the earth
KYS shitheel

Fuck this book.

>Not Apostol
Just give up now.

>X for engineers

What would you recommend for learning Algebraic geometry?

shafarevich

boring book of a boring branch of physics
[spoiler]but phox loves it[/spoiler]

? Explain?

There is actually a Manga that teaches weebs calculus

"teaches"