How do you explain the Mandela effect?

How do you explain the Mandela effect?

I distinctly remember Pikachu having a black tail like the one in the picture. But if you go and google Pikachu you will see his tail is all yellow.

fabricated memories
the first time you read somewhere "hey didn't pikachu have a black tail?" you imagined pikachu with a black tail and now you falsely remember it like that

Human memory is horrifyingly inaccurate.

You are stupid

This really makes me wonder how many of my memories are totally inaccurate. Spooky.

You don't store memory in the form of audio or video files on some distinct medium, you store it in the neural structure in your brain. It's literally just connections between different sets of neurons that cause one bunch to trigger together with another.

You don't "clearly" remember anything, you see a picture of a pikachu and your brain adapts and enough old payhways are triggered to label the visual input "pikachu". Minor details get lost easily because they are difficult to store this way. So if someone draws a pikachu slightly wrong, or pronounces a name slightly wrong, your brain just smooths the differences over and runs with it.

There were some fascinating studies about the fallibility of human memory. Some crime witnesses were told some incorrect information about the circumstances of the crime and the witnesses preceded to recall that information as if they've actually seen it. Google it.

Once you start learning about how the brain works, this goes from "hard to believe" to "super fucking obvious".

Are there animals who's brains store memory better than ours?

It's because you remember the dark bit on Pikachu's tail but after having difficulty remembering what color it was and what side it's on you decide "it's black and on the top just like the ears"

notice how this retarded meme effect only applies to trivial shit that one is prone to get wrong anyway
it's not like suddenly france stopped existing or some popular music band never released an album or humans never went to the moon, etc. because you properly remember that stuff

memories are pretty damn accurate (assuming no brain damage) it's the small details that get lost

go back to r/MandelaEffect

Elephants.

It happens to me all the time when I can't find something like my credit card. I start remembering bullshit things.

people have bad memories and are too stubborn to admit it

How does that apply to people with episodic memory?
Are their brains just somehow able to encode every minute detail with the same strength of recall as more major ones? Maybe their neurons have more connections on average than ours, allowing for a greater density of information storage.

it's a well known fact that memorising and remembering are identical processes. you memories get rewritten every time you remember something. that's where mutations happens

sex and the city

Well, the "phenomenon" is named after people who thought Nelson Mandela died in jail. Another one of the big examples is that some people think the US has 51 states. Neither of those are trivial.

Does notit exist

episodic memory also undergoes edits

The brain doesn't store video or audio because it simply can't. All it can is store connections between different sensory inputs, through very complex modifier circuits.

If people with "episodic memory" really exist, they can probably just retrieve all kinds of relatively tiny details with higher accuracy than normal people. But first you have to define it and prove it exists.

It's pseudoscience. Sage and report bait threads.

Pikachu always had a yellow tail.
He never had a monocle, people are probably just thinking of the Planters peanut.
This user is correct, it's especially worse now though because the Internet allows people to spread their false memories a lot easier than before.

the ACTUALLY horrifying thing is that we still accept eyewitness accounts as evidence in court

It's all an excercise in narcissism and gullibility. If Nelson Mandela would've died in jail you would have no fucking idea who he was in the first place.

How to make mandela effect:
>mention something that people are likely to have heard of/seen at some point in the lives but not often enough to remembee much about
>suggest confidently that you think it happened differently
>watch as others imprint your suggestion on their vague, long overwritten memories

The brain constantly overwrites shit it doesn't use, but since memories are an aggregate of many patterns there is usually something left after even very long periods of disuse. So the carcass of your brain's "Nelson Mandela" structure is still there, helping you to reform the connections if need be at some later time. But if the recall stimulus is all wrong and the memory is weak, you may easily end up with a very mutated memory.

Right

Right

I know it's all bullshit, but the origin of the effect is that when Nelson Mandela died a couple years ago, a bunch of people thought he had been dead since the 60's. It's not just suggestion, it's the fabrication of entirely new memories.

> If Nelson Mandela would've died in jail you would have no fucking idea who he was in the first place.
He was already very famous in SA and his journal was famous worldwide while he was in prison. The Free Mandela movement was a massive global media phenomenon, people would have remembered.

It's pretty funny.
Low iq memorylets are joining together in this nonsense.
They believe in it because they are low iq and memorylets.
They are memorylets partially because they believe in it.
So it's like when both the effect and the output are helping each other.

Left, right one is Mario

Memories are fragile.

Alternatively quantum immortality is real, and you have died a few times. This universe differs from your original in a few ways, most notably your lack of dying.

Occams razor tells me it’s probably the former explanation.

>animals in the same species have similar cognitive biases
mind = blown

That's cuz your confused Pikachu with some other pokemon
maybe zigzagoon or some other genwun