Intellectual, do you work out and keep in shape?

Intellectual, do you work out and keep in shape?

I'm pretty much the only guy in my uni who's fit and everyone else seems to be the fat but good at math stereotype. It's almost like you can either be good at math or muscular - not both. Why is this? It doesn't make sense.
Most of my science-type friends seriously think going to the gym is barbaric and they fear exercise like it eats away brain cells. It's just stupid.

It's horrible to watch these fat slobs sniff their own farts and patronize people who take care of their health. I'd say it's just a defense mechanism: people who excel only in mental activities like to think intelligence is the only thing that matters, and vice versa. If you suck at something, it's easy to just say that it didn't matter in the first place. This protects the ego.

Why choose between intellectual pursuits and being fit? Choose both. That's what real winners do.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprosy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Push pressed 130kg yesterday for a pr, still got 4 weeks of my training cycle to go, hopefully will hit 140kg. So to answer your question, yes, both.

>not chosing neither

It’s important to exercise. It improves blood flow to your brain thus providing more energy.
I feel you though user
In my graduate program no one exercises and are overweight/sedentary. But that’s a common theme throughout STEM graduate programs baka. I run regularly and I feel pretty alert and focused when studying/conducting lab work.

and why would I waste time on that?

There's no where to exercise . The social pressure of someone seeing me work out is too paralyzing

The smartest people I know (IQ-wise at least) are also fat, childish and autistic.
They literally watch children's tv shows to cope with life and avoid confronting anything that's even remotely adult or mature.

It's sad. This has lead me to believe that high IQ doesn't mean success in anything else than becoming a human computer maybe.
And science is about so much more, like imagination and team working.

I was on the NCAA xc team when I was in undergrad. It was a pretty big time commitment and I was getting involved with research so I had to drop it.

Get a barbell, squat rack, bench, weights, and a thick matt for your house. Get them second hand and you'll have them for life, while paying a fraction of gym membership costs over time.

I don't have a house and you're dreaming if I could afford those things anyway

For where you live, then.
If you buy pre-owned, it will be 300 - 500 dollars, depending on how luck you get.

OP your approach to this issue isn't very intellectual. Maybe consider studying more and lifting less.

of course these people took a standarised IQ test, it wasn't just an estimate pulled from your ass, right?

Are you that emotionally incapable that you can't tell when someone is smarter than you?

I don't live anywhere that could house that stuff
> $300

Dream money. It's taken me over a year to try to get $70

>IQ
>smartness
it keeps getting better

literally projecting

>projecting

>The smartest people I know (IQ-wise at least)
>IQ-wise at least
>smarter

>smarter => higher IQ

I advise you stop posting right now retard so you avoid embarassing yourself

OP here.

Just do push-ups in your room and go jogging outside when it's dark. Both are absolutely free and will give you the bare minimum of being in shape.

I don't have a room to be alone in and people are outside at dark.

Yes, you can also do sit ups, crunches, squats, pulls ups, and chin ups without any equipment.

>people are outside at dark.
They're not going to hurt you, it's okay.
>I don't have a room to be alone in
Then how do you browse Veeky Forums?

Working out is just miserable for me. I get no enjoyment out of it, only stress. I do the bare minimum just to stay healthy though.

Ivdont think you understand
I
Can't
Work
Out
In
Front
Of
People

For the past decade I wanted to get into weight lifting but always got psyched at the gym when I saw people using it and was too scared to ask.
>inb4 go when nobody is there
There is no magical time where nobody is there.

So I started doing the machine weight stuff and the second anyone glanced on my direction I would hope off so they could use it. I just was so terrified and miserable that the sweating wasn't even from the workout.

I can't just go out for a jog. That's impossible for me.

>pulls ups, and chin ups
>no equipment
I hope you mean door frame

Heres a thought provoking statement for you:

No one cares about what you do

Doesn't matter. It still matters to me

>tfw want to do pullups but no bar to do

What do

>Working out is just miserable for me. I get no enjoyment out of it, only stress.

I used to feel this way, too. This was before I got shoulder pains and the reason was simple: I sat in front of the computer all day and my muscles were non-existent. I realized that us humans evolved to move around and exert ourselves. Not exercising really fucks up your body, and you're a physical being no matter how much you hate it. This motivated me to reach the natural state of a homo sapiens and having decent muscles.

Going to the gym might feel miserable if you don't enjoy it, but I guarantee it's more fun than you think at first. If you do it right, your brain will release dopamine. Don't leave the gym with a dry shirt.
If you enjoy the technical aspect of sports, try swimming. It's refreshing, too, and gives more of a cardio workout than lifting weights.
Snowboarding and the obscure SUP-boarding is cool, too, even though they don't really develop your upper body.
Try finding a sport that seems cool on its own and you'll get the exercise without even realizing it.

Real winners are just naturally fit from the work they do. I dont go to the gym, ever, im 6’1” 200lbs and 13% bodyfat. IQ of 141.

Get a job in a skilled trade. Get paid great money for getting excercise. Study what interests you in your free time. When you get old use the money you made to make some real estate investments, and/or start a business in your field of work. Retire at 50 with a steady income that only requires you to hire good workers and fire morons.

Thats what actual winners do. If you are wasting time and paying money to lift heavy objects, you are doing it wrong.

quit being a pussy dude, break out of it.

Do pushups in the toilet. Lock the door, kill the lights in case of hidden cameras, and go for it.

Not really possible

Do you have Leprosy?

What

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprosy

>
what is your condition called?

You thought that was where the clarification needed to be?

>Going to the gym might feel miserable if you don't enjoy it, but I guarantee it's more fun than you think at first.
I went for about 6 months straight at one point. Never found it fun, only a daily chore.
>If you do it right, your brain will release dopamine. Don't leave the gym with a dry shirt.
I never got the dopamine. The best I could do was zone out and ignore how frustrating it was.
>If you enjoy the technical aspect of sports, try swimming.
Don't have access.
>Snowboarding and the obscure SUP-boarding is cool, too, even though they don't really develop your upper body.
Don't have access/funds/time.
>Try finding a sport that seems cool on its own and you'll get the exercise without even realizing it.
Again, the access.... I work all week and usually have errands on the weekends. I wouldn't have any regularity no matter what. My current routine is going to the gym nearby my job. That's the only convenient solution, so I put up with it.

People with leprosy probably don't like going out in front of others, you know, because of the whole leprosy thing.

The guy is to do something fun, like olympic lifting or powerlifting. The designing of programs, the monitoring of progress, the technical aspects, all of that makes it fun. Doing gym bro shit is boring.

I would also like an answer to this question

If this isn't a meme you are seriously fucked in the head. I am trying to imagine you despondently using a weight machine while contemplating the disposition of everyone else then fearfully leaving the machine mid-rep and walking off like a psycho. I think i feel bad for you but i actually don't. It's like knowing someone is a complete disaster and being relived you are not them. It's kinda like this, but somehow better.

Get a doorway bar

>The guy
the key*

pretty sure that thing would rip off the door trim at my place, it's pretty flimsy
I also tried one of those friction bars and it just slid down the wall

Improvise outside your apartment. Do pullups in the staircase of your apartment building using some ledge or whatever.

They really don't put much weight on the trim, especially when using the perpendicular handles. They also mostly rely on friction, but have the trim as a little extra support.

>Don't be embarassed when you go out in public
But that's why I want to do pullups in the first place...

I'll look into this, thanks

Do you have social anxiety outside of working out?

good post

I just started running a few weeks ago, after not having exercised seriously in all of my first semester of college. I run once every two days, for seven miles, right before going to bed.

Although this makes it difficult to go to sleep immediately, once I do sleep, I feel way better rested and more energetic. I thought I would become more of a brainlet, but I have actually seen my ability to focus increase, and I am more motivated to get work done effectively and within a set amount of time.

My biggest wake-up call was that I would get out of breath walking up several flights of stairs, when before I never had noticed the difficulty.

I'm not overweight, but I felt like a fatass not being able to do the things I had once had no problem in doing.

Running is bad for your knees and too much cardio leads to cancer. Lifting weights and doing mild cardio is better for this reason.

how about fuck you

At roughly 45-minute intervals, I push away from my desk to get a drink of water or a cup of tea;
and before I sit back down, I grab my dumbbell for some lifts, or do Sumo squats, or Sumo push
against a wall. I also look outside, it's good for the eyes to focus at a distance occasionally.

It's most likely an american thing because around here mathematician are fit or skelly for the majority

I choose both. I do a shit ton of sports actually, did muay thai for 3 years, still train gymnastics 3 days a week, futsal, MMA, rock climbing, I'll do anything.
I just feel like I can't focus on studying if I don't do sports.
I'm barely managing my time tho.

>mathematician are fit or skelly
Mostly true in USA also, it appears. Any idea why?

issues, user?

>has the correct opinion
>ruins it by frogposting
why user?

play soccer and run, I'd be considered lean. most people I knew at uni didn't have jobs let alone exercise

Why don't you grab a bicycle? You'll just be doing it for the exercise, but people will just think you're headed out.

Good to know that people like you existing means that I will always be able to learn and work wherever I want

The dopamine high from lifting is pathetically low compared to cardio, too bad cardio is a fucking pain in the ass

jesus christ the world doesn't revolve around you

>running is bad for your knees
Thank god I'm Amerindian and have superior ligaments.

I have the same than you. I started to do exercises at my room, with the door locked and closed curtains. Then I got a little bit fit, but was enough to make me confident to go out and run into a run field. When I was walking to it I was scared to death, someone I knoe would see me or someone would laugh, etc. But then I arrived and see people a lot worse than me, even old ladies just walking around the supposed running field. That was when I relaxed and just started to run. Now I still dont do exercises with people tho, but at least I go out to run.

>Thank god I'm Amerindian and have superior ligaments

sounds like you sniff your farts desu

>T. 2% Cherokee

>Not doing science at oxford and rowing 12 times a week as well

amateurs