Ban impure ivy league shitters from science

>be me
>go to MIT for 2 years
>professors are shit
>dont care about teaching at all, obsessed with research and boosting their reputation
>ask other students to study together
>get rejected constantly cuz mit savages think they have to "beat" you by withholding information/studying by themselves
>ask what theyre interested in and goals with their degrees
>medical physics for the $$$, nuclear engineering for private sector $$, having mit on their resume, meme $300k/hr NSA cryptographer
>no one doing it for the love of science
>no one wants to advance science for the sake of humanity
>no one wants to be a professor
>everyone is an asshole trying to gain fame and fortune
>transfer to university of wisconsin
>students want to work together to learn
>professors take interest in teaching and calibrate classes according to student desires
>welcoming and actively involve students in research
>come in on weekends to tutor and assist research
>can tell they love what they do and arent in it for fame or fortune

Should we ban ivy league shitters who into science for impure reasons? How should we handle profit-brainlets tainting the good name of science?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.mit.edu/ir/pop/students/diversity.html
nydailynews.com/news/national/upenn-junior-suicide-10th-years-article-1.2601544
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>MIT is shit
>this acceptance email
What a fucking surprise

Is this a real experience? Post your MIT ID card?

I have wondered this for quite some time. I heard that, at the undergraduate level, an Ivy League school is only marginally better than a tier-2 institution, due to the fact that most of the professors are more concerned with their own research. Whereas, at the graduate level, it definitely pays to be doing groundbreaking research with some of the best in their field.

No way that's real.

>want to work together
>doing it for the love of science
pick one
all the people studying together are just trying to get that easy A

this has to be a joke.

WEW

read lyotard

How did you find your fall semester at MIT?

Those MIT shitters are the future millionaires and billionaires of the world. The reason they are so obsessed with money is because they are the kids of the current billionaires and millionaires so all they've known all their life was money while their dad spent weekends snorting coke out of multiple prostitutes asses and their mom did real life BLACKED videos.

The reason I tell you this is because those kids are the big money donors of tomorrow. That is why MIT sucks their dick and why, if you know what is convenient, you'll start to suck their dick too.

>students want to work together to learn
Why? I learn things faster when I study by myself. It makes no sense that working in groups somehow improve the process of learning.

>All those free (You)s
Why is the "got" highlighted though

I'm not at MIT, I saved that image from when it was originally posted on Veeky Forums back in 2016

[spoiler]I'm at the University of Manchester[/spoiler]

Email search?

>Don't understand something
>ask somebody else who understands it

>sucking dick for the sake of convenience
What an absolute rag.

Or just read a book and figure it out yourself. Someone giving half assed explanation is worse than not getting an explanation at all.

If your group is retarded then yea it just gets in your way. But theres also groups that are helpful and provide perspective

Hey, that is how it is. And if you are not going to suck rich people dick then someone else will, and they'll make much more money than you for it.

That is why all politicians get big money donors. If you do the right thing and not be corrupt then your opponent will take the money and use it to out-campaign you.

It is just basic economy. This is what capitalism breeds.

Wisconsin sounds delightful.

But if I don't understand something, no one else in my group will either.

>group always wants to do group work

Wtf is wrong with people? I can get 4 hours of group work done in an hour with a textbook + internet. Why am I such an antisocial learner?

newflash: a university's main goal is to curate and provide resources, be that journal subscriptions, talented faculty, etc. etc.

MIT (and its ilk) isn't considered elite because the professors want to hold your hand: it's prestigious because they continually hire elite faculty, give them top tier resources, use their endowment to keep common facilities modern, and admit students with the potential to utilize these resources as best as possible towards whatever goal

MIT class of 2020 here
Is this real
I never got an email like this when I got in

This. "Elite" schools are continuously elite in a vicious cycle. They get lucky with top professors who get the university a ton of money to buy top tier resources/labs/facilities in order to attract more top tier undergrads/grads/faculty which in turn makes the university even better and the cycle continues on. MIT for undergrads isn't "elite". The "elite"ness is the fact that they only accept students with 4.0 GPAs, 36 ACTs, and president of 5 clubs in high school. They only accept graduate students with 5+ publications at top tier universities that have already worked themselves to death. Hmm... I wonder how they keep on producing top tier talent??? It's not the school, it's the students that they attract which makes them elite. If you switched all of the faculty of CMU to the University of Virginia or some random school and then began only accepting perfect students, Virginia would all of a sudden become a top notch school.

>get rejected constantly cuz mit savages think they have to "beat" you by withholding information/studying by themselves
damn user I totally feel you
I wish I could just beat the shit out of these fucking arrogant dumbasses

>schools are entirely asian, jew, and affirmative action sorts
>faculty is almost totally jewish

the schools are nothing like they used to be back when they were white
This is deliberate and intentional

happy you agree, but some objections to your post:

1. There is no "luck" in recruiting top professors: excellent facilities, hefty startup packages, and a reputation of attracting top students are huge draws for new hires. That's credit to institutional support. That's before you even consider poaches: MIT also has the clout to hire away elite professors (with lavish offers at that!) from other schools to bolster top flight candidates. Schools that can't commit to the resources can't hire hotshot postdocs or sometimes hold on to elite talent.

2. I would argue undergraduates don't make a university elite because they won't typically influence hires, major research, etc. That's how a school like Wisconsin Madison can be elite at sciences without having a reputation for being an elite, prestigious undergraduate university. Graduate students can make a university elite because their ability to advance already cutting edge research is beneficial to the university at large (as well as the PI they work for).

MIT class of 2021 was 50% white
sounds like you've never actually stepped on MIT campus before

This. Ivys don't even select for intelligent people anymore. The average IQ at Harvard is like 125 LOL.
>50% white
You mean Jewish.

you're deluded if you really think MIT is 50% jewish
plus you sound like a conspiracy theorist so there's no doubt in my mind

I went to HackMIT last semester and I can confirm. Too many white jews and indians. Not enough normal people.

Retard.

nigga u sound mad as fuck

Also, I'll add that MIT is at least better than CMU in terms of suppressing the asian population. At least they aren't 80% fucking asian.

How does that graph even support your claim
Please tell us more about how the jews are running the universe

shit I thought asians were chill
do we hate them too

Are you just pretending to be retarded?

Are you just pretending to be delusional

>one salesman has good thing that is obviously great
>one salesman has ambiguous thing with great sales pitch
>buy second thing

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm fine with asians. However, go walk onto CMU's campus and you'll change your mind. 30% of CMU's undergrad population has some direct connection to computer science. I'm just guessing in terms of demographics but 4 out of 5 students you see are asians. Out of those asians, 60% of them are either international or heavily non-american (Bay Area culture). It's so frustrating. You should be walking onto an American university but it feels like you're walking into some Asian university. There are too many students that don't possess English as their first language so there is an obvious language barrier. Because of this, those students tend to be super beta and shy. Plus, everybody there overworks themselves and doctors even refer to CMU's finals week as 'Pysche Week' because a ton of their students all of a sudden have to see a doctor. It's such a shitty culture.

If CMU was filled with alpha, white males the culture would be more fun (for example, business/finance majors).

i bet you also, unironically, believe that everyone should have to work for what they get and if they don't get it they're lazy and feel entitled

thats cool, I always hung out with asians because they were more tech minded than whites, so I didn't really care whether they were shy or not

can you fucks just git gud instead of complaining?

As a UC Berkeley student, I would pick communicative professors and good, warm-hearted students over ivy league snobbery any day. Lucky me, at the one school which maintains ivy standards while having way way less sshitheads.
I would be smug, but the whole point is that I'm not.

that seems right to me

>I would be smug, but the whole point is that I'm not.

No amount of gitting gud will help you if your problem is that you're stuck in Douchebagistan

>mad that CMU is full of asians who worked hard and earned the right to study somewher prestigious
>believes that they should admit lower achieving white people to to make the environment more fun

lel

Come to ND baby, we're almost all white. It's pretty great.

The solution is to overhaul the definition of university and segregate the teaching system from the research firms.
Unfortunately, whoever runs the institution are too busy filling their pockets at the monetary and mental expense of everyone.

>not wanting to be taught by people doing active research in the field
it's like you want a sub-par education

Are you jewish?

They can easily opt in while working in their research firms. The main issue is that the already drained researchers spend countless hours dealing with their own research shit before even thinking about the dumbasses sitting in their lectures.
Having a dedicated teaching staff who aren't simultaneously active researchers on death's door would make things much more streamlined for everybody involved.

not every prof is doing active research but some are
the best profs are the old guys that don't do research anymore but they have mad experience
they always have the best shit to say

why would they care to teach if they are "doing research" whatever the fuck that means, its not like anything actually comes out of these schools

Exactly, these are the people you want to teach in the university and these are the people the universities should be advertising to the school leavers and prospective students.
The current system just doesn't give two shits about the students nor the researchers who have to deal with sub-par education and exhausting teaching roles respectively.

> You should be walking onto an American university but it feels like you're walking into some Asian university.
But this is the way of the world, it was whites who founded the schools, but they were delusional cucks who didn't think properly in terms of race, so the non-whites infiltrated & proceded to destroy whatever these schools used to be.

>"doing research"
>whatever the fuck that means

web.mit.edu/ir/pop/students/diversity.html
34% white
Something like half the "white" population is Jewish

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals,and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained ingorilla warfareand I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet?Think again, fucker.As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USAand your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid.I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corpsand I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit.If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot.I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

MIT isn't an Ivy League school you moron, if this was a true story you'd know that

Lol, none of those chinks or pajeets are getting jobs in the govmnt intelligence sector doing cryptography. You have to be true blue 100% American with no ties to anywhere or anyone foreign to work with them.

>be me, first semester in college
>no friends
>get good grades
>highest scores on first few maths exams (it was hilarious people kept getting 30% and below and then dropped)
>ruining curve so all the plebs befriend me
>"study" with them, meaning sit around and crack jokes cause studying is for brainlets
>nearing the end of the semester and as an extrovert ive made quite a few friends
>grades go down
>forget about acadmics
>still had B's and A's, but i shouldve had a 4.0 you feel

dont make friends in college
dont let people befriend you
friends=snakes

Damn. They are doing everything they can to replace us. The statistics don't lie.

MIT is just a meme now

>replace us
who is us? people unqualified to go there?

This is Ivys we're talking about, they don't exactly choose according to quality of applicants.

whatever you say bud. sounds like you're just mad you didnt get in

Average IQ at Harvard is 125 cope more bootlicker.

>capitalism
consumerism
ftfy

>Rampant nepotism = merit

Activates the almonds

But you picked sjws instead? I'd rather be with asians

the absolute state of women

Why do retards blame others for their own perceived failings of being unable to enter MIT

>Post starts by talking about the state of MIT using the story of a person who went there.
>Hurr durr not smart enough to get into MIT
>Having this little reading comprehension

I'm not talking just about OP

It seems like this thread is going down the "da joos be keepin us dawn brutha" path

I stand corrected. As you were, user.

wisconsin madison? I got accepted there for a chem phd, what is the school atmosphere like? At engineering school for undergrad so not sure what to expect from a liberal arts university

Theres positives and negatives.

Its a huge party school so theres a bunch of annoying clowns running around discovering the mysteries & limits of both their blood alcohol level and their parents wallets.

But as far as academics, I rate it better than MIT. I cant speak for chemistry, just physics. Theres loads of professors here so theres none of that '500 people in a lecture hall because only one professor is teaching it this semester' bullshit. Reviews by students are taken into account for the professor's university performance review so the profs have incentive to put effort into teaching. Its not an issue anyway since the profs are really a class act and care about student achievement.

I also cant speak from direct experience in regards to PhD but I know in physics, there isnt more than 3 students to a prof so you can be certain to get the guidance required.

I have fairly high standards and I recommend it if youre truly interested in academics.

yea i heard it was a big party school after i got accepted. Its ranked 9th in the country for their chem phd program. After being at a school with less than 70 chem undergrads, figured it might be nice to be somewhere with a bigger department. I'm deciding between there, University of Michigan Ann arbor, and Cornell for my PhD. Tough choice so far

I have a friend at Mich. His descriptions of his experience pretty much match mine.

Going to a bigger department will offer you more resources- profs for guidance and technology to do research with. As for specifics in the chem dept, well, the website can probably tell you more than I can.

Are you interested at all in Cali? Quite a few of their schools are highly ranked in chem and have excellent research resources.

The thing about the shitty professors is that some of them probably do have a love of science, but they want to do their research on their topic of interest instead of teach. Which is why being forced to teach if they want research grants is actually really good, because otherwise we would have almost no professors.

I would say a good 1-2% of graduating seniors in the US are smart and hardworking enough to graduate from an Ivy. In practice, the Ivies pick from within that rather large pool (hundreds of thousands) to fill their perceived needs: sports players, proven workaholics, token minorities, etc. etc. All the people they don't admit aren't necessarily unqualified (I suspect truly unqualified people wouldn't bother to apply), they just aren't as desirable as the ones they admit.

>when the affirmative action hits

It's always been like this but it's gotten really bad in the past twenty years as EVERYONE has gone to college, causing the top 10 to become filled with people who are only good at competing, not actual interest.

This isn't so much a problem with college standards as it is how college admissions is done. Fact is, colleges draw from the entire globe (rather than a local district like a K12) which means the best ones are overflooded with applications. All but the very best, the absolute best make it. These people tend to be kids who were raised with an extremely competitive spirit that got them clean exams.

It can't be fixed, and won't ever be. At the base of it professors don't have to care about it because they have their research jobs, jobs that they can take anywhere else outside the school too. And truly interested students have the Internet, so they don't really need the school either. It's just a husk leftover from the previous generation, and it will one day pop once people realize just how outdated it is. Stallman (an MIT grad himself) realized this long ago, his GNU Project is part of the process.

This isn't AA, I've seen that and it's way different since even AA students/profs at least have a 50% chance of being not shit.

Assuming that thing is real it's just a larger symptom of colleges running themselves as brands and not as traditional academic institutions.

I prefer the term "late-game capitalism". It is good to make the distinction between capitalism and consumerism but it is also fallacious to imply that capitalism does not always end in consumerism. It does, it just takes a while.

It's just a facet of capitalism.

If your "Pure Science" is so powerful then why does it fail to compete? Face it user. Compared to them you ain't no winner. "Love" is not a scientific concept.

Any of those places will give you an excellent start towards a post-PhD career or an academic future. At this point, I think your best bet is to find out who you most want to work for and see if they'll have you in their lab.

Also keep in mind that PhD environment =/= undergrad environment. Chances are you're not going to have a handful of drunk shitheads as colleagues in you graduate cohort.

this. I go to a comfy Christian liberal arts college that tends to have lots of 3rd and 4rd generation students. Almost all of my profs went to top-10 grad schools in their fields and focus significantly more on teaching than research. Unfortunately this makes it harder to do research as an undergrad but it's pretty good otherwise

>he thinks those professors teach
never been to college huh

I got my rejection letter from MIT last week. Applied for the NE PhD. Didn't really expect to get in but I threw in an application because my brother went there and my internship mentor had a contact there.

My friend also got a rejection letter but it said "because our research interests do not align," whereas I just got a flat out "No."

I went to Penn. Same shit. I just assumed literally all colleges were like this..

t. 13 undergraduate suicides from the time I entered university to the time i graduated 4 years later

What for the sake of christ has a college to do to achieve such a suicide rate?

Here's an article from my junior year. The first of these people was my next door hallmate in my freshman dorm. She got a B first semester of college and killed her self first week of February in her second semester. Not kidding. Name was Madison Holleran.

nydailynews.com/news/national/upenn-junior-suicide-10th-years-article-1.2601544

Wharton is fucking cutthroat. "There are no friends, only business connections."

Wow is this typical? Maybe your class was a statistical anomaly.
RIP

I'm not sure how it is in other fields, but your typical "Elite" schools are not pumping out the ground breaking research in my field. Lower tier research oriented school typically are where the work gets done. Only after the breakthroughs are made to the Ivies snatch up all the talent.

If you want to do research, go to a B+ tier school. Its better to be a big fish in a small pond, than deal with a horde of sociopathic jews and asians trying to sabotage you at every turn.

its not the college. its the parents + the industry theyre trying to get into it.

there were 3 suicides in my medium sized physics dept in my 4 years of undergrad.

people dont understand how fucked the science fields are in the US. everything is about making money first. and theres enough older workers right now where employers can completely cut off young college grads from the field if they arent willing to be enslaved. so the young guns arent getting valuable employment which is costing them their futures + theyre broke and in debt from the absurd cost of college. they dont feel theres a future for them, so why live? i cant entirely disagree with them.

That's what a curve does user. Keep in mind, if they're going to an Ivy League undergrad then all they've known is academics.