There is a conception that romantic love is some beautiful, selfish and virtuous thing...

There is a conception that romantic love is some beautiful, selfish and virtuous thing. Having never experienced it myself, I decided to ask around.
After that I got a completely different impression of it. Instead of it being beautiful, I found it disturbing. An obsession with the other person, one that is only temporally satisfied when the object of your love shows you affection. This reciprocation is the source of all the pleasure and satisfaction. Now, this seems to me more like some sort of a narcissistic personality disorder - thinking the world of the other person only so that when the other person reciprocates you get the ultimate ego stroke. That is of course a double edged blade, from what I asked around it is also a source of jealousy and misery.
So I ask, why is it so glorified in literature? Am I getting it wrong?

bumpo

>tfw I read it

BRB gonna find someone to jizz on my face

Maybe once you experience it yourself you will understand. You sound jaded as fuck and need some love in your life

it is one of the most intense feelings human beings feel, for better or worse, which is why it is such a great subject for literature

Explain where I'm wrong, where is the virtue in romantic love?

>Having never experienced it myself
stopped reading there, why would anyone want to read the thoughts of someone who can't even experience love?

Alright, why don't you enlighten us

Alright, I read the rest of it and you described infatuation, not love.

"Romance" is a shit test

Protip: if you take it seriously you're a cuck

Is infatuation not present in all romantic love? You could argue that people do selfless acts out of love, to which I respond: that's just a part of the narcissism. If one has to be completely obsessed with the other person in order to for that other person's reciprocation to be meaningful, then of course, just like any addiction it will drive the person to do "selfless" acts. Of course, people would make sacrifices - but not completely selflessly, not really. Only to protect their source of pleasure.

that's a very early to mid twenty something pov which yeah they're pretty lovesick and crazy

romantic love is just another form of love which can be destructive yeah but it ultimately depends on how healthy the relationship is

Eros, or erotic love, the love between two sexual partners is not logical, yet your post presupposes that this is a problem. Love in this sense, and in any sense really, is to be experienced. I honestly pity anyone who has never felt this once. Call it a platitude or cliche, but it really is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Yes goyim don't have sex or anything hehe

No, I do not say anything about the illogical. I only say that it's pure selfishness, vanity, narcissism. Even if it seems to be centered on the other person, in fact it is self-centered. That is my problem with it.

how many druids are on OPs pic?

That gentleman's trousers are awfully short

>romantic love is just infatuation

There's more to it.

It's the most base and amoral of loves.

It's been gone for over 50 years. Bloody Liberals...

That SUBTLE Hitler

holy...

>hitler

Who's the dude screaming?

It's a fools game in a court of jesters craving happiness from a dignified patron as the crown of their excistence - romantic love is blindingly intense, short lived and of a sublime treachery that leaves scars for life.

How is it not logical?

infatuation is the first step in romantic love. infatuation fades and whats left is uniquely deep empathy, similar to what you might feel for a family member but more than that

I think the idea is that you get pleasure and satisfaction not just from the reciprocation, but also from what you offer. A relationship is all about mutual, long-term support. It's alternating selfishness and selflessness, and sometimes it's both at once.

But I'm a kissless virgin too, so what do I know?

Did you mean 'selfless' instead of selfish in your first sentence?
I think romantic love is a selfish thing. That is why the Buddha and people who transcend concepts of the ego do not have romantic partners.

That being said, I think romantic love is just a classification that is given to a more overarching kind of love that beings have for one another and their environment. True love is virtuous, selfless, and readily available to everyone. But of course being mortal and imperfect comes with predispositions to biological tendencies of romance, sex, etc. This is also a beautiful thing though imo.
It's a sticky concept but I don't think romantic love and all-encompassing love are mutually exclusive to one-another.
If anyone has any thoughts on this i'd like to hear it. cheers

Humanity is obsessed with trying to put a positive spin on the dopamine explosions and endless erections you get with a partner.

You could certainly interpret it as a narcissistic personality disorder (as some in literature have probably done) but you are better over either seeing it through a positivist lens or just enjoy the ride with its up and downs.

>its solely political group x's fault
Lol

its an apron, he appears to be a waiter

virtue is inferred only through direct experience.

the anecdotal stories you have been told are only symbolic representations of reality

that's a druid
he's screaming because he has a mystery

what is not self-centered?

1. It's glorified in literature for three reasons: One, it was the forbidden fruit during the days of Shakespeare etc. Two, it comes with the strongest emotions and the biggest potential for rise, fall, drama and so on. Three, everyone can identify at least with longing for it.

2. Love splits into three aspects: One is purely hormonal, and literature tries to glorify this sad fact away. The second is our pathological need for "love", i.e. validation, ego-crafting, needing to be needed, and so on. And the third is the kind of love a mother feels and which you may or may not replicate with your partner. This love actually is a beautiful thing but it mostly gets ignored in literature because it's just not as exciting and young people rarely feel it.

yes goyim, spend your energy trying to please a woman

>And the third is the kind of love a mother feels and which you may or may not replicate with your partner. This love actually is a beautiful thing but it mostly gets ignored in literature because it's just not as exciting and young people rarely feel it.
this is still the ego crafting on the side of the mother

You can argue that nothing we do is altruistic (even if we sacrifice everything we have) but my point was that it's not pathological like the other side.

I suppose I should say that having sex or willing to feel love is logical, but any system like marriage or family isn't when pleasure (the first goal) is the only aim. In an ethical or religious realm, they could very well be seen as "logical", but only in the sense that they adhere to the higher structure

Real love is free.

>but my point was that it's not pathological like the other side.
it is pathological for the child, since the mom thinks the child is perfect the way it is, unless oddly if it is a daughter, moms love to bully daughters) and for the mom too since she deludes herself into her unconditional love towards some bland being, just for its existence, deprived of any quality.

morality is mental pleasure

Yeah no dude, sorry your life is so fucked up.

I do not think you can be refuted in all honesty. However, the 'glorification' of romantic love in the kind of literature we're all at least theoretically interested in here is non-existent. Love only becomes more true the more generalized it becomes, a major unstated obvious reason why many religions continue to exist.

How do you define all-encompassing love? What does that mean to you?

All of my relationships have been as you described. However, I have several mental issues and none of them lasted very long.

I'm 23 now and all of my relationships have ended horribly within 2 months. My takeaways, however, are as follows:

>sex is not that great, especially because you have to surrender yourself to somebody else and worry about what they are feeling, whereas masturbation is solitary (this might be due to my mental issues)
>a relationship is a serious time investment in another person who is, in all likelihood, going to leave you, at which point you literally wasted all of that time you could have spent on something lasting, such as improving yourself
>there will never be equal reciprocity in a relationship
>the causes of a relationship can all be broken down and they feel quite shallow: sex (biological impulse), affection, validation of oneself, social status, et cetera

seems like even people without mental issues don't do much better

I honestly think that people are incapable of loving nowadays. What you're describing is infatuation, or objectification - nothing wrong with that, some objects are extremely beautiful and worthy of all the awe that surrounds them. I have never seen a display of love in anyone under 40.

who cares

love and fulfillment in life are only normie memes anyway

I care because unlike some I don't want to be ignorant about "normie memes", at least from an intellectual perspective

bump

The way I think of love is not to condemn it as being imperfect or futile, but also not to put it on a pedastel and try to protect it as some pure, innocent ideal. It's a chemical reaction in our brains to get us to reproduce. It's intensely blissful, yet inevitably fleeting. Don't avoid it because it won't last. Accept it for the hedonistic, natural, unlasting thing that it is.

do you think he regrets marrying her now his dick doesn't do all the thinking?

Love can only be understood in terms of pain not pleasure. You're completely mistaken.
There is a reason its described as your heart "burning". Its not egotistical or pleasurable in the slightest, its total self annihilation and agony. It destroys all sense of the pleasure principal itself.

When it isn't reciprocated, no. It is better to not have loved at all. I'm left listless and directionless, with no drive. Not to mention that the lack of closure drives me insane.

>tfw will never experience or understand this

It gets people in different ways. It empowered and made me want to push myself to become better and better, so that I would not only be more "deserving" of her, but to prove I was also the best option.

If you're a person that has no trouble galvanizing yourself, and being self-sufficient in general, I doubt you'll be able to relate much.

This seems interesting, would you perhaps elaborate?

user, love is the altar of pleasure and hedonism.

Everything you do is selfish. Even donating to charity makes you feel good.

You say that as if donating to charity was some ultimate expression of virtue and goodness

Are there any recommendations that deal with the theme of imperfect love that you seem to be suggesting? I'm in a similar circumstance.

>selfishness = narcissism

Go read more you fucking degenerate

>Having never experienced it myself
/thread
don't analyze love you fucking autist

Love is both beautiful and disturbing. Read Proust.

>Not reading the bottle

I always forget not to read the goddamned label

Read Kierkegaard. Specifically Works of Love.

it is also a very physical feeling

onscenes.com/philosophy: Deleuze - Signs

(directly about what you are asking about, Proust is the material he is assessing) :)

How many druids are in that image?

I see three so far

Love, for people like us, is all about understanding. Our shtick from a young age is wishing and praying that somehow we could say something so well that people would have no choice but to observe how important it is. How we could be important. So we go through life looking for that person who for once interrupts the deluge of loneliness. An Eldorado so tempting there is no way to resist. A vision for the future which makes sense for once. Love is living your whole life in the background, and meeting a girl whose eyes and smile tell you,
"You're not invisible."

No lack of closure? How so, have you not shared your feelings?

What was the real reason he didn't get married? I always felt his excuse was lacking.

Sorry, meant to say "No closure?"

I've found three as well. The eye is haunting me, not entirely sure what it is in there.