Why do people still study philosophy?

Why do people still study philosophy?
Science basically tackles all the big questions without need for obscurantism and sophistry. Philosophy is basically useless, don't you agree?

Philosophy is easier than maths.

No, read some philosophy.

I don't see the overlap.
Science explains the nature of the world around us but offers little to nothing outside of that; it's very one-dimensional.
You cannot scientifically derive an ought from an is.

>You cannot scientifically derive an ought from an is.
Except you can. It's called pragmatism

haha, so philosophy deals with what is outside the world?
nothing, then!

Who creates the notion that the love of truth is separate from science other than people that hate truth, or people that employ the separation in order to veil their will?

>outside the world is nothing
what

Science allows us to make accurate predictions about observable phenomenon. It does not go as far as to explain the underlying causes of things, nor does it deign to provide even a physical interpretation for its successful models. The science/humanities divide is just a meme pushed by people who understand only one or neither. Philosophers and physicists have collaborated often on problems of mutual interest in the past century. It's just the popscientests of the last decade have the loudest voices and furthest reach and make it seem like this isn't the case

Why do I browse this fucking board......

They do so reasonably though, considering the fucking culture war that's been waged on science from religious zealots and postmodern careerists.

It's summer. I'm just noticing the decline today, I'm out. See you next fall

>being is a hyperstring vibrating in the 15th dimension being observed by 22nd dimensional particle which is also all the lower dimensions and so reality is a hyperspace simulation running on an infinitely folding/unfolding multiverse though you can also imagine it as a sphere that is filling up with nothingness
wtf I love science now

To say that you've read it, making you appear more worldly and intelligent.

>don't you agree?
no

Cause it's entertaining and charming.

You can blame religion and Continental philosophy for that. Philosophy of science and physics fall squarely under the analytic domain (for the most part) and deals with foundational issues of interest to both philosophers and scientists. Both recognize the epistemological limits of the scientific method and where philosophical input is valuable

>2017
>Still believing modern science

Jesus

Reminder that science comes from philosophy, as does much of math and most other disciplines. When a question in philosophy is answered, it becomes its own study. This leaves philosophy with only the impossible or yet to answer questions. The purpose of studying these is to either a) create a new discipline that is knowable or b) further our logic and understand about what is unknowable, potentially advancing it for the future. If we merely abandoned philosophy just because we think it's done, it's reasonable to believe that this will lead to many questions that will be left unanswered/unattempted, obviously an outcome that is undesirable.

Philosophy, and even science prescribe the world, however, the fictions they create can be useful. (some seem useful (private language argument) and the linguistic community (or members of a scientific discipline (Kuhn)) might agree(s)) (even if the map ≠ territory)
^ (neopragmatism)

Go away, NDT

not very nice bait, 4/10. get out.

>2017
>not an empiricist
Jesus

>uses philosophy in his post
>"Why do people still study philosophy"

scientism not even once

science is inextricable from philosophy
I really despise this new class of academic divisions created by the distinctions of modern universities

Science deals with facts.

Facts aren't values, hence philosophy is needed, especially aesthetics and ethics.