What's the most terrifying thing you're read?

I feel like we're so desensitized to horror these days between the wide range of crazy things you can find on the internet and movies that rely on jump scares and cheap gore.

Other urls found in this thread:

urbanomic.com/document/poememenon/
climate.nasa.gov
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*you've
Sorry

Most of the Stephen King books I've read have given me a good spook, altho most of those were more suspense rather than fear. I definitely thought his scariest book was Pet Sematary, although Misery has the most suspense.

I don't know why it's never mentioned that Philip K. Dick's works are spooky sometimes, maybe it's just that I read them when young but sometimes they become cosmically horrifying.

m.r. james

Misery had my stomach in knots while reading!

A textbook on epistemology
Also a textbook on abnormal psychology

Had a huge existential crisis sophomore year in college.

I never though of his work, at least what I'm familiar with, as horror, I'll have to look at some of his other books.

Second Variety was creepy as fuck when I was a teenager. Dunno if it holds up.

Just the academic subject matter in general or actual patient stories?

I remember The Crack in Space (lol) as being particularly creepy, also The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Time Out Of Joint, and finally The Game-Players of Titan.

A lot of his major works aren't at all scary though, so I could see how one could miss on this aspect of his writing unless one read a lot of him. Also a lot of his miscellaneous short stories I don't remember the title of, is probably right.

The thing though is that unlike a lot of horror writers, Dick doesn't end his scarier novels on the gloomiest notes possible, he reaches really terrifying depths but then somehow leaves open a chance for redemption or makes everything even explicitly redeemed by the end of the story, so your mileage may vary.

Usually I get quite the fright opening the newspaper and seeing what the other monkies are up to.

I'll have to give those a look.

Dude they gave the med student syndrome forst day of class in abnormal psych.

Ive though i had general anxiety disorder, agoriphobia,major depressive disorder, schizotypal disorder, borderline personality and anti social personality.

That class wasnt very empowering, and just forced me to put shitty labels on people. Especially myself.

It sounds like WebMD the class. "I'll just select a couple common mild symptoms annnnnd... I have cancer."

Except medical diagnosis have tests to confirm maladies.
There is no test that says you definitly have some of these mental health diagnoses.
Its all based off of behavior, but amount of behavior percieved is kept just vague enough to keep a regular introspective questioning that nature of his sanity.

That sounds frightening, I can see how paranoia could start to set in.

I had trouble sleeping alone after reading the abduction stories in this. Also the passages on the Dulce Wars and what they found underground.

For non supernatural horror Berenice by good old Poe is plenty frightening. Lovecraft's stuff is awe inducing.

You want quality horror? M. R. James and J. S. Le Fanu. No one else even comes close to those two.

urbanomic.com/document/poememenon/

Scary stories you read in the dark, 1-3

you're making it sound like psych tests are completely subjective, while it is a certain degree, several modern assessments (e.g., PAI) have developed over the years to contain several validity/reliability scales, its not really as bad as you think it is.

I know this feel

A therapist said she thought I might be schizotypal and so I read through all of the personality disorders on wikipedia. She was definitely full of shit but I resonated way too well with some of them. On the one hand it was sort of an awful experience and on the other hand it did sort of open me up to recognizing some of my negative thought patterns, so meh

What am I looking at here?

spooky shit

>Its all based off of behavior, but amount of behavior percieved is kept just vague enough

Not really, current DSM-5 guidelines set up a list of recognized behaviours in specific personality disorders and then states that to classify as that disorder you must present a minimun of usually 5 or more (sometimes 4) as well as some other criteria. Having certain features of personality disorders is not unheard of in normal persons.

This is going to sound pretentious, but I'm serious when I say this: Beckett. None of the 2spooky4you horror books work for me because they aren't as rooted in reality. Ligotti is good, but there's a lot about his overly pessimisitc view on reality that I don't buy and that doesn't really haunt me in the way that I think he's trying to. Reading Beckett feels like I've been stripped down completely as a beautiful Irish voice flippantly picks me apart and shows me directly the deepest terrors of my life. Start with the plays and continue to the trilogy. Read Proust if you want to get a better idea of his philosophical ideas.

>A textbook on epistemology
I did my undergrad in math & physics and had the stupid idea to read a few papers on scientific realism right in the middle of my last semester. I still cry myself to sleep once in a while.

None of you people even read horror.

I recommend "The Willows" by Blackwood.

ooh ooh aah aah

Presenting five or more behaviors in a set of 15 to 20.
Statistically speaking seems like a loaded game.

Is this what they call the "technoccult"? (A band I like sings about it apparently.)

read Bierce's "The Death of Halpin Frayser"

*blocks your path*

Read Poe's "Arthur Gordon Pym." It'll leave your mind riggity riggity wrecked, son.

Also, nothing is more scary than NASA's Climate Change website. climate.nasa.gov

/pol/ and /x/ desu

Lovecraft's Nemesis is the diary of the Demiurge.