Currently reading/recent purchases/stack thread

These are always fun. R8, b8, h8, st8, rec, shitpost, whatever. How's my taste?

I am also reading the last samurai by helen Dewitt but it's an ebook so can't take a pic.

I'm currently reading The Tunnel and i'm halfway through it so far

What should I read after I get through this?

you won't

Always looking for suggestions

Yesterday's buys.

And last week.

what translation of TBK? I'm reading P&V right now, and I'm enjoying it. I've heard ignat avsey is good too.

One thing at a time.

>Cicero
>more like Kekero

>>>selected

why do publishers do this

Cicero is one thing because his output is huge and much of it probably won't be interesting to someone casually reading him, but Montaigne is good from start to finish and can be easily had in one volume.

Dont know but the edition was too nice to pass up. They were $1.50 each.

r8 my vanity

This is just my to read list. I'm not reading them all at the same time.

stick around randposter, reading poliphil and literature can only do you good

I want that book just for the cover.

Can you post a pic of the book open at a random page?

Annual book fair - $2 per paperback, $3 per hardcover.
Wew lad.

>Check Soup for the Jewish Soul.

Low energy b8.

Fanged Noumena? Sure.

what the fuck

Oy vey
Seems like turbo-autism to me

ratatataouille

Got the last three of temps perdu left to go. Kind of blown away by it. Got any recommendations for when I finish it?

what's the map?

It's actually a curtain I made out of a world map patterned fabric a which neighbour was throwing out. Waste not want not.

Pretty vain desu

Currently reading schlocky space opera waiting for a couple of books by Edith and Francis Schaeffer to arrive from Amazon.

Got these yesterday.

Short stories by Kafka
House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky,
Tractatus Theologico-Politicus by Spinoza
Formalism in Ethics and Non-Formal Ethics of Values by Max Scheler
Complete poems and translations of Miklós Radnóti

Hungarian?

Yes.
What do you think?

Is the novel city of glass any good?

>After Virtue
>Muh Virtues
>Muh Thomism
>Muh Aristotle

You are in for a fucking treat, kek

Not bad. If you enjoy Spinoza, I recommend you read The Ash Wednesday Supper by Bruno. House of the Dead is interesting but certainly not his best work, though I'm presuming you would already know that if you're reading it. Never read Scheler or Radnoti but would be interested to - especially Radnoti.

I think this was a pretty balanced haul.
I could have bough stuff like Kafka,Dostoyevsky and Mann cheaper online, but Scheler and Spinoza would have been more expensive.
I like the Dostoyevsky edition. Those are cheap, are usually in good condition and they are comfortable to hold.
Thank God most of the classics got released at least once in this format.
I like the Spinoza edition too. It was made for academic use in the 60s and 70s. Hardcover with gold letters.
I have Hegel and three volumes of Chinese philosophy in the same type of edition. These are usually more expensive.

I don't really know if Radnóti ever got translated. Guy longed for peace and harmony in WWII and the nazis left him in a ditch somewhere in the countryside.
His notebook was found after the war.
But he published before the war too.

>Guy longed for peace and harmony in WWII and the nazis left him in a ditch somewhere in the countryside.

Good.

War is good. Peace is stagnation and decadence.

You can't wage eternal war you fucking faggot

No such thing as eternal peace either, you fucking faggot.

Swallow the black pill and realize that war is inevitable, and that therefore we must endeavour to make it as useful/productive as possible.

Finishing Summa Contra Gentiles and Justin Martyr and 2 other volumes of Church fathers, then moving onto the stack. It has Wittgenstein, Maritan, O'Connor, Russian fantastic tales and more Aquinas.

>[colour] pill
Neck yourself please

>make it as useful/productive as possible
At least this, we can agree on.

>cartarescu
nu

gotta admit that spelling of Aquinas's name gave me a chuckle

>(((Akvinski)))

Mein gott...

What's so funny about it?

>Jokerman font.

I thought that shit died a long time ago.

Aquinas and Maritan are new books as in never sold before, but were printed at least 30 years ago.
Aquinas even has a commie Jesuit modernist introduction which is trying to excuse Aquinas for not being ecumenical.

>nu
huh?

jesus, i think im going to cancel my purchase. This autism in pure form.

who are these newfags that don't know Nick Land

Why do you guys buy/read so many books at once? Bet you don't finish, let alone begin reading them. Is it just for the street-cred?

Sales and discounts. The joy I get from buying them. I've read most of the books I bought.

Bottom book is really good imo

>tfw buying books faster than I can read them
>Will have to buy a new bookshelf soon

I do read though.

>The writer Umberto Eco belongs to that small class of scholars who are encyclopedic, insightful, and nondull. He is the owner of a large personal library (containing thirty thousand books), and separates visitors into two categories: those who react with “Wow! Signore professore dottore Eco, what a library you have! How many of these books have you read?” and the others — a very small minority — who get the point that a private library is not an ego-boosting appendage but a research tool. Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. The library should contain as much of what you do not know as your financial means, mortgage rates, and the currently tight real-estate market allows you to put there. You will accumulate more knowledge and more books as you grow older, and the growing number of unread books on the shelves will look at you menacingly. Indeed, the more you know, the larger the rows of unread books.

>Indeed, the more you know, the larger the rows of unread books.

You can skip great Gatsby.
Generic story with a theme that you can learn from literally anywhere else, and the writing style is just shitloads of hollow symbolism that don't support the ideas strongly at all.
The theme is decent, but it's not worth reading such a poorly written book.

Complete Cosmicomics is so fucking good. The Spiral is my favorite story in it.

Here's my bedside stack of what I'm currently reading. The gold-ish one with no spine title is Girl Scouts Badges and Signs.

>currently reading
Notes from Underground
The Razor's Edge, which I picked up on recommendation from here as something in the vein of All Quiet on the Western Front. Not exactly what I was shooting for, it's out in the car somewhere
Also technically reading Rules for Radicals but it's offensively bad and mired in the same faux-liberal horseshit as most modern activists and only reaffirms my disgust for that political circle
>recent purchases
Complete Works of Kurt Vonnegut on preorder

The stack to the right is a bunch of books and manga I've already read but not had the time or drive to make room for on my very limited shelving.

What should I read after Notes bois?

Milan Kundera the unbearable lightness of being
atm

Have you read the Rings of Saturn yet? I've been torn between buying it or not for a year or two.

dosta dobro

I have a copy in Russian. I enjoyed it, especially the part about kitsch.

I'm halfway through it--I'd definitely say it's worth getting, and I actually paid new price for it (I almost always buy used). It's really meandering, which is why I only read a chapter or two at once, but meandering in a constantly interesting way. I wish I had the kind of associative memory Sebald must have had.

Don't have a picture but I was gifted the following for my birthday:

The Little Prince,
Heart of Darkness,
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde,
The Hunchback of Notre Dame,
The Three Musketeers and
The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I have a special edition of this book in spanish, but I borrowed it to this girl for another book and now I feel she's gonna steal it.

>A Canticle For Leibowitz
Is this book good? I heard about the premise of the book, and it sounds like something I would really be into. Is it worth my time?

I really enjoyed the first two parts, but I just can't get into the last part of it. Still stuck there.

If the post-apocalyptic monastery premise sounds interesting to you, I'd definitely read it--it also reads pretty fast, imo, so isn't that much of a time investment.

Interesting.

The "post-apocalyptic monastery premise" sounds awesome honestly, so I'll probably read it eventually.

How is Only Revolutions? I didn't finish House of Leaves but intend to pick it back up, seems like the kind of thing where lightning can't strike twice

These two bad boys just arrived.

hope u had a good birthday

I started reading recently
Am pleb?

Nah, Steinbeck, Hemingway and Kafka are great entry level fiction writers. Definitely look into Hemingway's short stories, it's where the bulk of his literary value is concentrated.

all shit, but stapledon is good

antony beever writes like like a pay-per-view documentary, please step up your history reading

try not to fall alseep too much during your readings

you'll probably be confused reading so much morality stuff you'll come out of it when a confused and patchy world view

way too much Veeky Forums memes, you need to read 100% more classics

not bad, but you can get all of that shit for absolutely free, and probably with a better translation for the greeks

that translation of Karamazov is serviceable, but dostoevsky is execrable!

i am indifferent

throw out everything but Nabokov and Pushkin

I am indifferent on Calvino, you can get Dante in superior translation absolutely free elsewhere

ultimate door-stopper

I enjoy aquinas, but ultimately indifferent to philosophy

Canticle for Leibowitz is ok, but you people really need to stop buying into the Fagles meme.

Lots of garbage, and Ebenezer Le Page is a laughable book - the ending with Le Page deciding to go with the idiot hippy as heir is one of the most contrived things I've ever read

good nocturnal literature - stuff I read to put me to sleep at 4am

left looks interesting

kafka is good, i have hopscotch sitting around unread - but not because it's bad, i merely haven't gotten around to it

hemingway and steinbeck should be forgotten in the dust-bin of musty 20th cent. lit

>Lots of garbage
Not gonna lie, most of those were recs I picked up haphazardly from Veeky Forums quite a while ago and now have little interest in reading. Lesson learned. Still going to take a pass at them all just to further solidify my experience with middlebrow easily digested work before moving on to more dense works.

the problem with Veeky Forums's taste is that it is either

1. insufferably conventional
2. too hung up on whatever contemporary garbage their professors or goodreads/modern contemporary trends consider important literature

if you wish to believe in what I am about to tell you, I stepped away from Veeky Forums for over 4 years and have not heard much of anything about DFW/Pynchon/dellililllo, or any other modernist memes and my appreciate for literature has progressed 10x

Read a classic like Moby Dick or David Copperfield, and don't give a dried fig for what anyone thinks.

Appreciate it.

Pretty good general advice. I'm looking to branch further out from Americana and Modernism in general - I love Dostoevsky and will probably be looking into Tolstoy soon. A bit hesitant to jump into Moby Dick, will probably save that for a guided reading course at some point, and can't stand Dickens.

Forgot to mention that I'm looking for some more philosophical works as well, something with more substance than modern political ethics or "durr can we prove that the thing exists lmao", maybe something related to aesthetics? My Greek basics are decent up through Plato, Aristotle looks like a cunt to read through, any recs?

Then read David Copperfield, it's Dickens at one of his best, and does not have the usual morality patter that I believe you may dislike him for.

The only grating scenes in Copperfield is the DAT BABBY'S A PORKEEPINE. You'll understand when you read.

Whatever catches your interest, philosophy can be interesting for certain people, at only certain times in life really.