Adding a map to a fantasy book is good idea?

Adding a map to a fantasy book is good idea?

No. It's good inside cover art, but I can't remember ever using them. I've tried, but you have no connection to the place, or the names, so it just ends up being jumbled nonsense. I'm sure some people use them, if they're autistic enough, but honestly, where the characters are doesn't actually matter. Each scene happens within the setting. It doesn't matter if the setting is west of Jambala or north of Kendra.

It really depends on how developed do you want the world to be. If your focus is on the characters themselves, follow.

If you want to explore complex relationships between different fantasy cultures and their geopolitical struggles and other such things, a map certainly helps.

Why not? I mean it is a fun exercise in creativity but that is about it.

For me, it isn't, I would prefer the reader to figure some things out by himself.

Absolutely yes. The beauty of Tolkien's work and maps is that it makes you realize that all the events in LoTR is set in just a small part of a much bigger world. This perspective inspires you and makes you imagine the other parts of the realm

This is an exception

This isn't a video game. Any kind of map is going to limit your imagination, it doesn't matter how little of the map you use. That's not how imagination works.

yes, hardly ever is the whole world mapped out which is nice as it leaves things open for interpretation as to what's happening in far distant lands or what they're like.

The ultimate example of using a map is in A Song of Ice and Fire, troop movements, domains, claims to land, the scale of how far characters travel, knowing Westeros immerses you in the movements of every character even more,

>A Song of Ice and Fire
And what's the point of having all that information with a plot and characters that are so dull?

..because it's not?

It's not a good idea. It's a necessary feature if you want your readers to be able to understand your world, its politics, and make predictions/judgements as to the movement of armies/characters.

it its you shit taste pleblord

fairly new to Veeky Forums is this bait or a meme here or is he actually this retarded?

depends on whether it's relevant to the story you're telling

No literature isn't your dungeons and dragons campaign. It can be a nice addition but ultimately a good story should be able to be told orally without any other materials.

People didn't need a map for the Odyssey or the Bible. You don't even need the map for Lord of the Rings.

For the interested.

But the Odyssey and the Bible took place on Earth, people have some idea of what the areas are like. Maps shouldn't be necessary, but they do offer a sense of immersion to the story

Thanks user

I always liked the idea myself, but I'd say its effectiveness depends on the scale of your story, and the events that happen. If its just about a city and its inhabitants, eh, fuck it. If international politics start getting involved, it might be more useful. If your story starts taking place all over the country, or across other nations, I'd say its almost essential just for reference points.

ASOIAF is popular so it's bad. That's pretty much all you need to know about Veeky Forums.

We unironically have an /sffg/ thread just for people like you and hack fantasy writers in the same vein. Who knows, you might even be able to find a "good" book book there

You need to go back.
Honestly, though, if someone makes a comment that idiotic trying to criticize a book, you can almost always assume they've never actually read it.

this

>People didn't need a map for the Odyssey or the Bible.
You are full of shit. Anyone who followed oral stories knew the Geography of the local lands by heart because they are fucking locals. Kill yourself.
This is the real world you can't make up whatever map you want, the Bible isn't clear at all where the fuck anything is so it must not be a good story in your eyes.