This is what the New York Times calls "the perfect novel"...

This is what the New York Times calls "the perfect novel"? Dude has a shitty life and then gets cancer and dies and the end? Screw you, Veeky Forums

>new york times
Who gives a shit

Thanks for spoiling it, retard.

the style is very effective
some of the writing is beautiful
the end made me tear up -- lots of emotions (esp. considering the blunted style)
the high points are really high
captures and to an extent celebrates the ethos of both academics and stoics

wouldn't call it a classic and it was really frustrating in a lot of places but I liked it a lot

fuck the ressentiment of cripples senpai

Goddamit ban this thread you fucking idiot why do you spoil the book

Not gonna lie, at first I thought it was some YA novel romanticizing kids who smoke pot.

>spoiling a book
Please killyouself

fuckin spoilers dude I was gonna start this next month

op is a faggot and book is dope event if the plot is spoiled

>dat spoiler

it's like 9/11 all over again

Do you guys actually care about spoilers? I thought you enjoyed reading.

funny because I've jjust finished this book moment ago before discovered this thread

You're clearly a pseud and faggot.

Quit reading. You're hopeless.

To everyone else who happened to see this spoiler, it's still 100% worth reading. It's an amazing book. Incredibly beautiful. Read it.

Op, kys.

Even though plot is for plebs I like to not know the plot. It's obvious.

The prose is nice, but I thought that the themes in the novel were a bit pedestrian compared to other works.

It wasn't that they were cripples, it's that they were fuckwads trying to dismantle academia, using their disability as a foot in the door. Reminded me a lot about the current gender/race shit going on in america. Or maybe it was that they were cripples! Having Stoner be a bigot keeps him from being too precious

How is Stoner a bigot?

Is this thread some kind of meme? The book starts out by saying he's dead.

>reading for the plot

If he is indeed resentful of the cripples I meant

Great now the fucking beginning is spoiled too

Yeah because death doesn't happen to everyone right.

Did you just spoil my fucking life retard?

It was an above-average novel with relatable themes and nice prose.

Great existence we got goin on here! Love life, lovin it! Man, I enjoy thoroughly sitting at a computer and typing words on the screen for strangers to see and react to! Boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

leave then, fagtron

That's interesting, I read the older dean as having a persecution complex and his student as someone who was clearly a pseud given his total lack of basic knowledge. Stoner was just principled about meritocracy, he liked Lorax at the beginning and he acted always aloof towards him. Lorax was the insecure one, he was actually upset after opening up to them at Stoner's party and distanced himself.

I agree with you completely. I think that Masters, Lomax, and Walkers were all pseuds.

I laughed way too hard at this

How are is other works? Butcher's Crossing and Augustus?

the dave masters sections were str8 cringe

>implying people here actually read

u best get out dat niga shit boi

Augustus is really good.

eh

augustus is sort of cringe sometimes, butchers crossing is good, but not as god as stoner

Sensiblechuckle.jpg

That's all told to you in the first fucking paragraph.

thejoke.mp4.exe

>being mad about spoilers for a 50+ year old book

fucking really?

I read this before entering a PhD a few years ago. I tried to read it to convince myself that I was making a bad decision, but instead, I romanticized this mans life and took the plunge into what was easily the biggest mistake of my life. After dropping out I read it again; this time it all made sense.

stoner really is the perfect book
it's not my favorite but it's definitely a top 5 book

If it's the perfect book, then how do you like other books more than it?

It's a really tight read. There doesn't seem to be a weak scene that comes to my head. The sort of early development as Stoner as a farmhand discovering literature and the intriguing persepctive of what it is like to be a professor and the domestic disputes (especially when he's playing with his child and his wife goes psycho) and the friendships he makes are all really well done, gripping but not overladen in detail. Like Stoner, it's just a solid and unpretentious book, it seems matter of fact and truthful, dull superficially but brimming with a clear intelligence.

I think that dull superficiality is the book's problem, though. There are scenes in which John Williams could have wrote more deeply about the psychological stresses that Stoner went through. I get that Stoner is portrayed as a stoic, but that does not mean it's interesting to listen to the thoughts of a loaf of white bread.

I sincerely hope you didn't mean that.

it's a perfect book but the story isn't one that would come to mind easily

I sincerely did. Infinite Jest is a much better book.