Tfw going back to grad school after 1 year of working

>tfw going back to grad school after 1 year of working

Same

>tfw going to grad school after 6 years of being a stoner neet

it's actually going alright

I can't decide whether to go back or not. I have three schools willing to take me but i don't know if I have the will for 5 years of being a poor underling.

Same
I'd argue we're in a better position than kids who did grad school straight away who potentially haven't worked ever

>tfw coming out of retirement to go back to grad school

how did you get in?

I'm interested in this also. I'm trying to decide if I want to work or go to grad school right now as an undergrad and my biggest fear is not having any option to go back after I've been working, was it hard?

>Tfw same situation but only got about halfway through my bachelor's
I started studying math on my own a few months ago hoping to avoid the stress I had the first time around, but I'm so damn rusty I feel like I'll be 30 before I'm ready to go back.

>graduate bachelors
>work for a year
>go back to masters program to prep for PhD
>have a series of 3 nearly debilitating illnesses/injuries
>academic career is fucked
>industry career is fucked

now im just a loser. It was a really fun waste of time tho. 10/10

What if I went to a lower-mid state school and now my coworkers are ivy league PhD's? Would using my job to get into a graduate program at a better school make sense? My ultimate goal is to start a company.

A-asking for a friend.

Congratulations, you've forgotten EVERYTHING!

What happened?

>tfw going to grad school in Comp Sci without ever having taken CS classes before or any math past basic algebra

I'm in so much pain.

Not OP but I can advise a bit. I'm considering going into a PhD program in chemistry/medicinal chemistry (got accepted to 3 different schools so far) and have taken some time off.

The work I did after by B.A. meant nothing. I've had a lot of fun not being in school, so I have no regrets.

All I did to get in was follow the instructions on the websites after about a month of researching various programs. I only applied to schools with professors that I could imagine working with. There is no magic way into a PhD for the average joe. Hopefully you did research in undergrad, got good grades and aren't GRE stupid. Write an honest personal statement about who you are, what you're capable of, and why you will graduate in 5 years or less (this is actually very important to make clear).

exactly this. The biggest barrier to people applying for a PhD is themselves. We've had years where we had empty spots in certain disciplines because not enough people applied. You'd be amazed how few people apply for those positions every year, especially under the assumption that more are or they just are not qualified.

The application process can be daunting though, and it's slightly on purpose just to see who can pass those annoying barriers

Anime

Lyme Disease, Meningitus, and a lower back injury. GG academic career.

Amen. Most people don't understand a PhD is like a job. They need people like you to do the work and move through the university system.

Every school needs PhD students.

And because they need you, they pay you. It's to the point where health care is included in almost every offer package. Being a doctoral candidate is is a totally viable way to live for 5 years. You can then move on to bigger and better things with your GODDAMNED PhD. They pay you to get a PhD, just do the work, learn the things, and take control of your life.

Yep. That's exactly why i went for it, because i have no debt, no financial responsibilities so the stipend is fairly decent (i can even save a tiny bit), enjoy learning, and love the college atmosphere. Plus no drug testing

Were you working for the government?

not at all, what makes you ask that? i worked a menial retail job before, for 6 years through undergrad

The drug testing bit. Usually I only hear about that that with government jobs.

Retail is a drag. Glad you made it back to school.

>Grad School
phd is for retards. get a masters if absolutely necessary for advancing your career but that should be it

Oh the drug thing is kind of a joke, just nice to be able to smoke on weekends.
Yes retail was a fun time for a while, but it's obviously a dead end endeavor

What subject gets the least phd students

Say what you will. One size does not fit all. PhD programs can be a good choice.

>Lyme Disease

What did I say about walking in wild areas with no shorts? You are gonna get TICKED.

Good point but so much programs are like drugs (in a good way) that even with your masters since you already are more or less halfway on the road to a PhD that it's like you might as well go further.