My favourite book ever is Blood Meridian

Tell me why it's shit and how plebeian it is

Other urls found in this thread:

theparisreview.org/the-art-of-fiction-no-223-cormac-mccarthy
thespoof.com/spoof-news/magazine/1805/cormac-mccarthy-igniting-your-weber-genesis-gold-gas-barbecue-grill
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pa. Why are eggs breakfast?

What.

You can put bacon on lunch.

Ye.

But if you put eggs on stuff it becomes breakfast?

The man spat and said the eggs are not for this world or from this world they come from the chicken but the chicken knows it not.

He wiped his chin and spat.

legit funny

It's not moby dick

it's not supposed to

Tortilla/10

ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shellalagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

Paradife Loft rip-off

Lol you do have to reach to alternative dictionaries a lot to get through it

Blood Meridian threads trigger me so much. I can't for the life of me understand what you Americans see in this shitty excuse for a book.

Not even a good parody

i dunno that seems a legit book to have as your favorite.

BM isnt my personal favorite but its certainly one of my favorite american novels at least

The eurofag brushed his knees and stood up against the azure horizon and vermillion star

We done here

Ye

I reckon I got eh good use uh dat der pretty mouth'a yurs bo-eh

The eurofag wiped his cummy chin and spat foam into the road.

I'm about 50 pages in, kept seeing threads so i figured i'd read it to join in discussion.

Right off the bat, the lack of quotation marks for dialogues through me off. I googled to see if anyone else had problems reading the book.
The amount of trouble people said they had gave me hope, reread the first few pages and realized the author sets up the dialogue so you can easily spot it and whos talking.

Really love the parts at the beginning of the chapters where they give you a quick rundown of whats going to happen.

Kek

finished it a while ago, keep going with it. I found it drags occasionally through the middle but the ending's great

I do love Blood Meridian OP, it was the book that got me into literature, but after an arduous pseudo-selfdirected journey back along his line of influence through mainly Faulkner, Melville, and ultimately Shakespeare, I am able to contextualize and actually appreciate McCarthy's prose without just sucking his dick, and I can see where he occasionally goes overboard.

Trust me, read the complete works of Shakespeare and a couple critical companions and you will never look at any piece of writing in the same way again.

really only shows how strong Mccarthy's prose is, honestly, if you try to mock it and can't even come close

I love monsieur posting

Tnx user

>read the complete works of Shakespeare and a couple critical companions
why would I divest literally hundreds of hours of my life, into an art form not even intended to be read, to understand fucking Cormac McCarthy lmao

brainlet detected

That reminds me. Who did the better parody?
Weber Genesis Gold Gas Barbecue Grill man:
>Your weber gas barbecue is a portable outdoor cooking appliance. With the weber gas barbecue you can grill and barbecue and roast and bake with results that are difficult to duplicate with indoor kitchen appliances and the foods you eat will include fish or meat or poultry like the tottering mexican gamebirds that scratch and tumble against one another on the baking piebald clay. Scrawny and sunblind they spasm like marionette grotesques borne on strings manipulated by some sclerotic hovering madman.
or Cormac himself in an interview:
>Barbecues, mainly. And this is part of it. Calling the dogs in, all limbs and sinew, the vermicular homebound patterns they weave in the scorch of the grass. The glint of the grill in the sun’s fire ellipse, its entirety as it bends toward hyphenate unyielding horizon. I like to soak the mesquite chips for at least half an hour. Then there’s the marinade for the brisket, or the dry rub, the laying on of hands. A replication of primeval violence. In your fingertips the harm of generations, the wish to make right, the failure to cleanse and absturge. Raw matter. Chile ancho, dried chipotles, paprika and salt, pulverized plant and rock, the sad spice and crumble of the earth’s red crust. I put the beef in a plastic bag for two hours before my guests come.

KEKT AND REKT

samefag

>t. knee-abrased, cocksucking, cummy-chinned eurohomo.

Writers who are happy to make references are too cowardly to stand on their own.

I'm aware we're all the product of past works, but at least fucking try you pussy. Do you see nothing ostentatious and sleazy about how he tries to use the Bible to give his work a veneer of importance?

It's just an empty-headed game of "spot the reference" for people who get into reading to feel smart. I saw this dumb bitch professor deliver two lectures analyzing the book and it was all just naming references, with nothing to say, nothing to feel. The novel as a study tool. Everything wrong with literary academia. Flush this book down the toilet if you have the slightest sense of taste, please.

I kekked out loud. Though I think there's a typo, shouldn't it be "hyphenated"?

Kill urself

Did he actually write that second one??

theparisreview.org/the-art-of-fiction-no-223-cormac-mccarthy
yep. pretty much confirms he's seen the original Weber barbecue parody. unless it's just a weird coincidence.

I actually agree with this.

I am somewhat sympathetic to the overall idea you're expressing, but I don't think those criticisms, while valid for many acclaimed works, are really applicable to Blood Meridian. While the book certainly references other works as all art does, the characters are original (despite being based in part on actual historical figures).

But you definitely haven't read the book, so I don't know why I'm bothering with this post anyway.

Can you link the original commercial?

the original barbecue parody is here, it's not actually a commercial
thespoof.com/spoof-news/magazine/1805/cormac-mccarthy-igniting-your-weber-genesis-gold-gas-barbecue-grill

Just clicked the link to buy the issue and found it was an April Fool's joke. I feel cheated.