This is so hype that it hurts

>fagles

F

Is fagles the best translator for the english version
t. portuguese speaker

the iliad is the bomb diggy u feel me duke we come with that 90s tonite mother fucka

no but for real tho

No. It's either Fitzgerald or Lattimore depending on whether your prize poetic liberties or accuracy

I felt like I was reading an anime desu

Make no mistake: for all its earthiness, its cynical jests, its bawdy and scatological realism, Cervantes’ masterpiece is anchored in Christianity—more specifically, in Spanish Catholicism, with its strong mystical drive.In this very connection, Unamuno remarked that John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, and Ignatius of Loyola did not reject rationality, nor did they distrust scientific knowledge; what led them to their mysticism was simply the perception of “an intolerable disparity between the hugeness of their desire and the smallness of reality.”

In his quest for immortal fame, Don Quixote suffered repeated defeats. Because he obstinately refused to adjust “the hugeness of his desire” to “the smallness of reality,” he was doomed to perpetual failure. Only a culture based upon “a religion of losers” could produce such a hero.

What we should remember, however, is this (if I may thus paraphrase Bernard Shaw): The successful man adapts himself to the world. The loser persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the loser.

It's actually Alexander Pope

>Because he obstinately refused to adjust “the hugeness of his desire” to “the smallness of reality,”
>tfw I'm Don Quixote

>When a Trojan hero is about to get BTFO.
>"Hold up"
>Activates cheats: *R1 R2 L1 L2 Left, Down, Right, Up, Left, Down, Right, Up*
>Absolutely BTFOs everyone.

This. I liked The Iliad a lot but it felt like an RPG game or some archaic Japanese anime.

>RPG game
>role-playing game game
>posting frogs

that's not Homer

Once again I find myself surrounded by plebes

Woe is me.

Shallow as fuqqq B.
>muh war
>muh heroism

yeah, wake me up when you have some more interesting themes

Vae victis.

Fagles can suck a dick. Lattimore or Fitzgerald for modern+Pope or Chapman (Or all of them)

Wake me up when you've been second only to Christianity as the foundation for Western society

>shit talking the Iliad

I want nu-lit to leave

kys

does this ed have the full uncensored text

What about homecoming, place, "life as war", familial relations, and binding love?

>I'm totally not a surface level reader
>it's the Iliad that's bad

But some of the main themes of the Iliad, it seems to me, are that war sucks, sometimes neither side is "the good guys" or "the bad guys", heroism is childish, and reality is unfair and immoral. Doesn't seem particularly shallow to me... if anything, it's way ahead of a lot of war literature that's written even nowadays.

It's the one Bloom-Senpai told me to read

>see that monster over there? I'm gonna fucking wrastle it with my bare hands
>then I'm going to hold my breath for like a week straight and swim across the ocean
>fucking geats REEEEE

Fuck off and stop spreading ebonics. If you're going to read actual literature talk like an actual person.

>implying u can't spell crap without rap

I am no anglo speaking fool

back to /pol/

lol wut wez u saying