Famous bullshit qoutes from science

I'll start:
'Give me a place to stand, and I shall move the Earth with it' from Archimedes, on Levers

Now you all know it is impossible to move the whole world, even with a very long lever, but it was I suppose, conceivable for his time.

Given a long enough lever, a proper pivot point, and a place to stand, why couldn’t you move the Earth?

Funny. I just posted on another thread.

Someone once looked into Archimedes story, about moving the world. He can only exert small force so he has to move a long distance. To move the Earth a couple of centimeters, turned out he'd have had to walk several lightyears. Probably wouldn't have lived that long even if he hadn't annoyed that Roman soldier.

Remember force can only be transmitted at the speed of sound, since the lever he would require is 10,000,000 light-years long, unless the speed of sound in that material were close to c, it would take so long to transmit the force that the particles composing such lever would decay into subatomic constituents before the force reached the other end.

To be fair, concepts like particles decaying and force transmission being tied to the speed of sound and not instantaneous were not known at his time, food for thought

You're all missing the point.

Speed of sound... jesus... Force is not transmitted at the speed of anything... force is calculated instantly... there is no transmission.. fuck are there any non retards in this forum??

So if I have a metal rod 1 light-year of length, and I push down on one end of it, the other end will rise instantly?

Yes moron... unless you calculate flex in the rod.. but it will sill be an instant function...

If you flex the rod instantly things happen... you could account for reaction time.... progression down the rod but the forces are unaffected... for ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction...it could delay the force but the force will work the same way,,

Nobody's blaming Archimedes. The basic idea was sound.

One of his other breakthroughs was that an immersed body displaces its own volume of water. This enabled him to measure the volume of a very complex shape. Apocryphally, he leaped from his bath and ran through the streets shouting "Eureka!" ("I have found it!")

Isaac Asimov, however, observed that the most important phrase in science is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
When an experiment yields a result you HADN'T anticipated, that's when you really learn something new. Much more exciting than an experiment which simply gives you another data-point confirming your theory.

Once again stupid... you could but the lever would end on Jupiter...

So you can wiggle a rod and transmit information to Mars faster than light?
There are no perfectly rigid bodies in Relativity.
You shove on a rod and the momentum is in the rod alright, but it takes time for the compression wave to reach the other end. Pushes and pulls only go at the speed of sound in the material.

no retard, no information can go faster than light speed

Anyone know if he really said this? Sounds really profound

>you all know it is impossible to move the whole world, even with a very long lever
Oh, really?! Tell us how we all know that, sempai.

read the thread, dumb cunt

Nice phrase but i dont like that truthconstest watermark, does someone know if that page is bullshit? I wondered in there but just found nothing interesting

It's fake.

Which God?

baseless claims are unconvincing, dumb cunt

No, a wave will travel through the rod at the speed of sound and eventually propagate at the other side.

This has to be bait
>what is hyperbole

Guys, the point of the quote is not that "hey guys I--me-- Archimedes--a human, can literally lift the earth", it's the fact that, with math and machines, you can do things that, at first glance, seem incredibly difficult.

At least we know Archimedes didn't have autism; he could say something knowing others had basic reading/listening comprehension.

No, Archimedes was saying he could do it -- such was the power of this new "lever" idea, there was no limit to the force he could exert.
Of course, since he had no fulcrum or place to stand, he wasn't literally planning a personal demonstration. Just wanted to impress his patrons. "Hey, I can lift an elephant" isn't nearly as impressive a claim.

Allah, or the Abrahamic God. God of creation is the only God worthy of worship.

So you agree with me; he wasn't literally planning on a demonstration.
If he had the interest, he could have also said "Give me a ballista strong enough and I will orbit the earth", again, showing that the mathematical feat is possible, but not actually planning to do it himself.

Check again my man, it's real

If you were replying to me, , then we're agreed.
A ballista is a poor counter-example though since I doubt he ever imagined orbits. :(

"A mathematician is one to whom [eqn]\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \text{e}^{-x^2}\ \text{d}x = \sqrt{\pi}[/eqn] is as obvious as that twice two makes four is to you"

-Lord Kelvin

They suck and their retirement plans are garbage, other gods have much more interesting things in their brochures.

So every mathematician before this was found isn't one? go fuck yourself lord faggot.
>inb4 Why the homophobia?

Source?

Even if we assume the quote correct, the user asking "Which God?" is correct. We can use semiotics to assess the capacity with which any given myth of divinity allows us to differentiate between gods. If insufficient evidence of concise differentiation can't be found, we know the concept to be a bunk method of explaining away confusion. Properly translate to a post-semiotic society, the quote might read, "At the bottom of the glass is true confusion."