Veeky Forums I'm bored. I usually lurk /x/, but I've decided that it's all fake and not useful for escapism

Veeky Forums I'm bored. I usually lurk /x/, but I've decided that it's all fake and not useful for escapism.

What's the scientific way to escape reality? How do I experience something not of this world? And I don't mean watching TV. What can science do to help me live out my escapist fantasies?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A thread died for this

To answer your question, read some textbooks on a subject that interests you. There are plenty of recommendations on the sticky, just go to the Veeky Forums wiki. Nice dubs

>A thread died for this
Don't worry I checked first there was nothing interesting there.

>a subject that interests you
They all interest me and I'm familiar enough with most subjects to not feel like there's much to gain from further study. The only things I want to study in further depth are the things I'd start a career in, and I don't know what career I want to have.

>dubs
Thanks, I hadn't even noticed.

Oh my fucking god this better not actually be op please I want to have faith

>feel like
I'm not saying I'm competently informed of anything, it's just how I feel. I can't think of anything that really makes me feel the mystery of it all. That feeling that there might be something more out there is why I lurked /x/ to begin with. If I can't get it from /x/ anymore, and I don't want to just binge watch stupid shit, what are my options? What's something in the world of science that would really, truly, blow my mind? I'm not saying it's not out there, I just don't know where to look anymore.

Read good novels (scifi, historical, what-have-you). Seriously.

>Read
I guess that's true. I'd forgotten that using your own imagination comes as a fundamentally different experience from imbibing production-class media. Thanks.

If you want something actually scientific 100% to blow your mind here m.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

Please don't delete threads on this board for stupid questions just because you don't find them interesting, there is a thread for stupid questions almost 100% of the time.

I've been familiar with double-slit and quantum weirdness since my late teens. The only part of it that's weird to me is that anyone calls it "weird" or counter-intuitive.

Now, I went to highschool. I was fed all the usual stuff about physics, the history of the atom, the the various revisions of the atomic model. I knew what electrons were from that alone. So from that, and everything I've learned since, I find his use of the phrase "bits of matter" to describe them as very unproductive. I understand the historical background and context for why the video would be phrased that way, and that's probably one of the best descriptions of the double-slit result I've seen yet, but it's still wrong. Let me explain why quantum weirdness has never been weurd to me.

My only concept of electrons came from a science textbook. Everything I learned in highschool could be wrong and it wouldn't phase me. Scientists, or else the people who wrote the science textbooks, simply made another erroneous assumptions about electrons: That they are something called a "particle." Well, at the level of abstraction of the atom, I never felt any particular need to model things like billiard balls. If that was the ANALOGY they used to explain it to people, then scientists need to stop taking things so literally, especially when it's explicitly called an analogy. Now, maybe the only reason we draw the distinction nowadays is because of quantum experiments like these that showed us our assumptions-from-analogy were wrong. Great. But that affirms my reasoning: There was no reason for me to share unnecessary assumptions.

I was never so attached to the "intuition" of electrons—or even protons or neutrons—as behaving like billiard balls that it seemed counter-intuitive to me that they were actually waves. To me, there's no flip-flopping between particle and wave; the particle model is wrong. It's just waves, peaks and crests and valleys. The detection occurs because the waves line up,

not because a "particle" magically appeared. All this business about "virtual particles" and the like is a continued fundamental mis-assumption about the nature of quantum phenomena. I stopped having any reason to see reality as any other than a vast energy field with wavering excitation patterns a long time ago.

It's like if the author of the Lord of the Rings came out and said something new about hobbits; that's not surprising to me. It just tells me something new. I bear no attachment to the former state of narrative expansion as the latter. Providing an updated understanding is all I trust science for anyway, so there's no reason for me to put one moment of the model above the next.

Play some VR games.

Only 2 experiences ive had which fit the desc: drugs and lucid dreaming

Anything good you'd recommend?

Also I don't have any gear. Science has not been forthcoming with the technological singularity.

It was voracious teenage appetite for scientific knowledge and concepts that led to me the feeling of being familiar with virtually everything.

But that takes me right back to /x/. If the scientifically correct answer to my question is /x/ shit, then what did I even leave /x/ for?

Mail yourself in a box to NK
Build a spacehelmet and hide inside a satellite launch
Get virtual reality goggles surgically implanted to your eyeballs
I think if you scienced it enough eventually your fantasies would go away.

In all moral credence to the fair Queen, who gave me the courage to finally deny death; I will be as honest as I know for certain I can be.

I made this thread because I didn't feel like watching anime at the time.

But I just love how Veeky Forums can turn any shitpost into something real.

>escape reality
Go to sleep.

Watch anime.

>What do you have to be scared of?

Spiders.

Extraterrestrial life might be a good topic. Alternatively the M-theory, other universes in a multiverse sound quite fascinating. And did you know that where is the theory that the universe is just a simulation?

And technological singularity.

>theory that the universe is just a simulation?
That comes up on /x/ literally all the time. It's not even funny anymore.