What kind of titanic autist would write his resume in LaTeX? I'd throw that shit in the trash

What kind of titanic autist would write his resume in LaTeX? I'd throw that shit in the trash.

An employed kind.

Me but unironically. I got a call back for my current job within about a week. :^)
>herp derp scrub jobs for the math guy
Not the point. The point is that I have lived experience of my [math] \LaTeX [/math] resume actually working.

the minors were history and philosophy werent they

I genuinely can't wrap my head around latex

Why is it so hard to use? I can't even manage to install the thing on windows.
Nobody is clear on what is the thing I need to install

Not worth it.

There’s nothing latex can do that word can’t do better, and more intuitively.

>windows
Found your problem.

>Why is it so hard to use? I can't even manage to install the thing on windows.
I think you may just be a brainlet. Just look for an all-in-one thing that installs itself. many are ready to use after a few clicks. Learning it is also easy. If you don't know something, google it. Soon enough you'll know how to use it.

>There’s nothing latex can do that word can’t do better, and more intuitively.
Fundamentally incorrect. For one, you can make powerpoints in latex. Microsoft made a whole second program to do that. Secondly, and the reason that we actually use it: latex has the best equation environment out there. Word's equation editor doesn't hold a candle to the latex equation environment.

>what kind of titanic autist
choo choo muhfugga

>Why is it so hard to use?
Theory: because you're stupid.
>I can't even manage to install the thing on windows.
Further proof for my theory.

[math]\mathbb{AESTHETICS}[/math]

I just use overleaf

If you want to write any sort of math, Word can fuck right off. Latex is easy once you get it up and running. TexMaker is a good self-contained interface that automates all the necessary installations.

Pointless if you aren't writing a CV. Industry recruiters will look at you like a filthy unwashed Marxist academic.

I-i did...
But I used xelatex for fonts and advanced layout magic so you wouldn't know anyway.

t. fedoralord

I have used word extensively and latex extensively and let me tell you that I prefer latex. Honestly I don't even use any Office products anymore. Latex for document typesetting (once you grab ST latex plugin) is a fucking breeze, so easy I can't even fathom why brainlets would complicate themselves with Word.
As for things like Excel, Python/Matlab have everything you'd ever use Excel for (unless you are actually retarded and used Excel as a database) with the addition that they are actual programming languages.

>not using monospace for every document you ever produce

Wrong. LaTeX can be extended to do pretty much anything, word has lots of annoying hard-coded and unintuitive shit, and has many immediate limitations. Honestly, word is probably the shittiest comprehensive word processor that you could make. I don't even know if you could intentionally make one worse than it. Also, if you're doing any work in compsci/maths/physics, it is a near-necessity. LaTeX isn't just some niche shit Veeky Forums fucks around with. It's very popular, especially in academia.

What kind of titanic autist would write a resume?

There's no all in one for latex. I've never found one that works

Overleaf.com didn't work? That's the easiest one to use because it's just in your browser.

>needing to write a resume
>not just being rich

My resume is in latex so I can take sections out to tailor it to a certain application without losing the material.

Lucky cunt.

I did it as a requirement for grad school, but it isn't as bad as you think. I wrote with the same template a resume in Word and one in LaTeX and with LaTeX I had less problems since the general layout was kept (I didn't have to fight with text changing randomly). If you use an existing template LaTeX is also very comfortable because you can copy-paste the parts which interest you.
However, my resume is quite different from in the fact that it's difficult at first to recognize that was written with LaTeX.

How do I get Cambria Math in Microsoft Word?

I've been using it for a few years. A little at first because learning curve but now I've been using it for everything. All my assignments in every class this semester. I'm been using Rstudio, which is nice, being able to write functions and do math R and format everything with latex, all in one document. It's kinda like Matlab, but it also spits out beautiful PDFs

>There’s nothing latex can do that word can’t do better

Being able to write TeX manuscripts that most serious journals require.

kek

unironically this

I'm a civil engineer and I made my CV in Latex. didn't even use a template but that shit was beautiful

but user, Matlab already spits out beautiful pdfs, especially if you know latex

I'm in math so I use latex a lot all the time.
prefer to write my cv in just plaintext with maybe some html markup

I did. It looked great but then recruiters were like, "Can you send me your resume in Word?"

Anybody asking for your resume in a format they can edit has some sketchy intentions.
If all they intended to do was read it they'd be happy with the pdf

It's been a while since I've used it, but my memory of Matlab + [math]\LaTeX{}[/math] was limited to "it makes plots with beautiful equations" that would then be inserted into another document made with something else. Rstudio is just a different approach, I guess. Making documents and constructing plots in-place

>I'd throw that shit in the trash.
... which is why you don't work HR?

>you cant edit .pdfs

don't hate on LaTeX; i know knuth's baby is a huge headache for everyone, but some of us get used to it and it becomes the standard

.... you know, particle physicists use this thing called ROOT... an unfortunate historical accident has made an unfortunate computing tool into the industry standard

see pic. I've also since been promoted at the current job as well.

Well, just make sure its pdf

>[math]F_n = \frac{\phi ^n - \phi^{*n}}{\sqrt{5}}[/math]
>not [math]F_n = \frac{-2i^n \sinh(n \ln(i \phi))}{\sqrt5} [/math]

pleb

Yes, REDACTED resume-poster here. I had an older document in an old Publisher file and I realized that it looked a little "scrub", I needed to update the thing anyway and I wanted a small TeX project, so it made perfect sense to redo it. Again, success is my proof. I also wanted a document that was just plain /different/ and TeX looks like this for normie career purposes. Once I had the template I liked I just copy-pasta'd and edited accordingly as per usual.

For the record I actually /like/ the default look of LaTeX documents overall, in-and-of themselves (computer modern font, etc) so that's my bias. Looks nice, and is slightly precious/cute but not too much. An alternative to Helvetica/Arial/TNR. I understand plenty of non-brainlet Veeky Forums posters who can actually punch up a TeX document really hate the font though and various other things in TeX implementations, which they sometimes report as being ancient tech which is due for a general, paradigmatic overhaul.

You're no different from 4th graders who make math puzzles where "no matter what number you enter, it's always zero!!!"

They since it was always through recruiters they wanted to format my resume to advertise their recruiting agency in a header or footer when they passed the resume on their clients.