To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

The fuck is up with this novel? Just rich white people talking and having dinner and shit. Wtf?

>using white as a pejorative
>using rich as a pejorative

Yeah seriously, my dude, hated it. One of the most boring 200 something pages of my life. My sister kept telling me it was great so I kept going. Am I a pleb and just missed something, or is it utter tripe?

>Am I a pleb and just missed something, or is it utter tripe?
yes

yes what m9? Pleb or tripe?

Yes, you missed something.

Would it have suited you better if they were poor coloured people having breakfast, instead?

Large parts of it are quite tedious, yes. I thought Part III was great though, loved everything in the boat. Woolf's self-justifications through Lily Briscoe are interesting too.

what would that be? English isn't my first language so maybe that's the reason I missed it, but seriously, let me in on the secret of this book.

Woolf is shit
read some real patrician modernism instead, pic related is the same "rich people talking and shit" but 10000 times better

> hating on the female equivalent of James Joyce

Yes, that would've made it better.

>just rich white people talking and having dinner and shit.
Sounds like gatsby desu

This might sound crazy :
When I was in collage I took an advanced theory class of science in literature. My Prof. assigned this book and I had no idea why it was on the reading list. When we got around to reading it, he made the claim that it had heavy references to physics and Lucretian atoms. At first I didn't really understand, but once we started going through the book I found a lot of evidence that Woolf is discussing the nature of reality.

Woolf was well read in science and actually engaged with the topic of physics. In this book there are multiple allusions to "eddys" which appear in (I think it's) Heraclitus when he talks about all life being made of spirals. During the dinner scene in the middle of the novel, Mrs. Ramsey brings the cosmos to a stand still by creating a dinner that is able to bring all the character's together in a spot and outside the chaos of the cosmos. I believe there is even a scene in during the dinner where Ramsey looks outside to the chaotic world running amok and notes how it is safe inside. She sees the waves banging against the beach (arguably particle waves; a subject Woolf knew well).

Here's a few other brief examples:

-After the dinner party and Mrs. Ramsey is dead, Woolf describes the house empty except for "them" traveling through windows and doors, coming out of shadows, etc. The "them" could possibly be the free falling Lucretian atoms/ physical particles.

-Lily's painting at the end of the book transcends time as she combines all the atoms of every person into one painting.

-the Starlings that Lily sees are describe a lot like the chaos of the cosmos and are related to particles.

There's a lot of other things if you do this reading, but it was so long ago and I forget all the incidents. I also didn't do the best job describing it. I might be able to dig up an essay I wrote on it if anyone is interested.

>When I was in collage
That's a really bad way to start if you want people to read all that shit that follows.

Have you read it in its original greek version?

Which translation did you read?

eh, fuck'em

cool stuff, thanks for sharing. had no plans to read this anytime soon, but might check it out just to look for this sort of thing (currently reading the pre-socratics, so it would be a nice accompaniment).

I thought first part was pretty dull - some guy asking for more soup was the big dramatic event but I enjoyed part 2 where she matter of factly killed half the characters in about 20 pages

its an experiemental novel - its like the baby book of ulysses i guess

I love Woolf

A few months after reading this book I actually went on a vacation with my rich friend's family to their vacation house near the sea. His mother was this loud woman (very nice though) and his father was kind of a zen-like figure who could cook like an angel. A lot of wine and boats and looking at bikini-clad rich girls. I read Middlemarch and Wuthering Heights there. Really one of my comfiest vacations.

It was a lot like The Sun Also Rises too I now that I think of it, less sexual frustration though.

i'm black and don't fuck much with white nonsense; this is my favorite book

>mfw I'm also black and Woolf is also my favorite

waaah shit nibba we have to be friends

>Rich white
fuck off with that shit OP
but i'll admit that I wasn't a fan of the book standing on its own merit.

A book about the creative process is all well and good, but i felt the concept didn't match up with the style. It's like if Joyce wrote a whole book about his fart fetish in his most beautiful prose.

It's a more interesting read when observed as a response to Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." but still, not a book i look forward to reading again any time soon.

You just don't understand it, user.

>white people

spotted the regressive. why does their race or even class matter? why can't redneck SJWs understand high brow literature?

Rich white people are responsible for virtually every intellectual achievement in the history of this planet

"virtually every" is hyperbolic

a good 2/3 though.

>implying that your sense of "intellectual achievement" and "the history of this planet" is objective
+ it's almost as if the resources available to the wealthy/racially dominant give them.. more opportunities to innovate??

if we're calling Jewish merchants 'rich white people', maybe

fpbp OP is a bernie voter 100%.

Rich is always a pejorative, unless you're talking about cake

>Everyone triggered as fuck because he said rich white people
He clearly is referencing that as a trope, calm down or fuck off to /pol/ you reverse-SJW crybabies

In what sense can be living a rich live considered a pejorative? Of course, context doesn't matter

Fuck off Reddit fag.

I want /pol/ to leave

Is there any discussion they're incapable of derailing?