>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

FOR MANCHILDREN

Thanks for fixing the OP.

Why did you replace the actual chart with your pathetic attempt at shilling your book, Susanna Clarke?
People like you who rely on deceptive techniques instead of talent and hard work will never make a name for themselves, Suze.

Stevian, if I wrote as poorly as you did, I would genuinely consider killing myself.

If you keep giving (You)s out like that constantly whenever Steve is mentioned, you're gonna make a lot more people start steveposting, you do realize that right?
Or are you too blinded by your buttpain to see logic?
Whatever happened to ignore the trolls, oh wait, let's just keep feeding them.
And no, I'm not the one you're replying to, and I'm not one of the ones steveposting, you're just a fucking idiot

Just finished Assassin's Fate. Cried like a bitch for pretty much the last third. A fitting end for so many characters that I love, especially Fitz.

is ninefox gambit any good?

That was actually irony, and not Steveposting. The fact that you believe Stevian would say seriously something that I consider an obvious joke tells me much about how highly careful, it's irony again you think of him.

Does Stevian really write like a non native English speaker?

Leave my property.

We will just give the mods a nod if that happens. If you haven't noticed we have a mod now (unlike in 2011). When polshit gets out of hand they step in. If Stev and his followers want a 30+ day ban. Go ahead.

Where'd you get that figure from? I used to stevepost months ago when that shit was still happening, never got banned

People weren't riled up enough to report to the posts. But as you noticed in the last thread and the thread before people are pissed. This shit has been on going for months, and it distracts from discussion. Instead of one or two you will get 10 plus reports. When the mod pops in and gives a quick read he will see it's some cunt trying to get financial gain. But instead of buying a ad spot for 20bucks on 4chins, he is using guerilla tactics to get his book out.

I'm sure in those weeks when nobody noticed the chart change he got some sales, seeing as his book is only available through Amazon no one can find a torrent, and it's $10 a copy to boot.

If I was banned twice for arguing some shit I can't remember (was slightly on topic but w/e) he will get hammered for advertising. Moot/Hiro never liked people making a buck on his expense.

>This shit has been on going for months, and it distracts from discussion

DO
NOT
FEED
THE
TROLLS

Is this your first month on Veeky Forums?

so, besides Elric, wich other Moorock works should I read?

What did he mean by this?

I really utilize hack to be the babe, 'aight.

I really utilize the babe to be hack, 'aight?

At first I thought that OP-pic was along the lines of /r9k/. Women are monsters that do not actually have empathy and so on.

Can we talk about Rothfuss for a moment please? I used to disregard the naysayers and actually enjoyed his first book a lot. The second book is significantly worse, but still readable. His most recent 2.5 book, "The Slow Regard of Silent Things", was just trash, and his personality is starting to annoy me.

I checked out his Goodreads profile, and it's stupid. He almost exclusively gives 5-star reviews, and mindlessly praises every book from famous/semi-famous/book-y people. He currently has 650 ratings and an average of 4.64. That's insane, and obviously ridiculous. Every single book he's read is significantly above average? What a fucking joke. When he doesn't like a book he swears and bitches like a, well, a bitch, and is entirely unpleasant and pretentious.

I'm getting more and more convinced that people were right: he's just riding this King Killer wave and milking it as hard as possible because he knows he will never publish anything worth reading afterwards. It's better to have fans screaming for a book three (that was supposed to be finished in TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE) than no fans left at all.

Why is your picture backwards?

because nobody dies if penetration happens?

Love finds a way user.

do they find a way or not?

I have a relevant screenshot from /a/ but am too lazy to find it. There was something about bathing in cum

He's a hack that was lucky to connect with the Harry Potter/Twilight audience.

He will never be a prolific author, he spends his time on twitter and video games. After he's done with King Killer he will ride it out as long as he can (tv or movie adaptation, social media, conventions) and then fade into obscurity.

Yes, that's what I meant. She gets very pregnant.
Sorry to disappoint, after they grouse for a while about their love only being platonic he accidentally becomes a humie.
I think they both become dragons later, but haven't read the final book.

Slow Regard is the only interesting thing he's ever done.

what a copout

IKR
Honestly though, you can't expect much better out of a book where it's love at first sight between the protagonist and the king of dragons.

So just sage, hide and report right?

I'm sure that particular cover has been out of print for decades.

I really hack the babe to utilize aight, be.

Maybe she is a size queen? If they have guys who trained themselves to take bad dragons / fire extinguishers whole up their arse, a woman can take a long dicking from a dragon in her vag.

I agree with
that the Jerry Cornelius books are worth a look, especially after reading Elric because some of them are just re-skinned Elric stories.
Dancers at the End of Time series is fun.
Behold the Man is a great time travel story.
If you're looking for more pulpy fantasy, then try Hawkmoon, Corum or Erekose. If you plan to go down that route, then read The Eternal Champion first.
If you're after GRI, try, again, the Cornelius books, as well as The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century and Breakfast in the Ruins.
Try to avoid learning anything about Moorcock himself, particularly his personality, his political opinions and his views on other authors, as this will ruin your ability to enjoy his work.

>Trolls won't get (You)s
>They get bored
>They won't pull the shit they're doing right now and have done before

Impossible to comprehend concept, am I right?
Much easier to just keep responding to them every time

I have this one, thought it was gonna be about an evil AI...
>tfw never encountered vore in a book before

Reading it right now.
>Next book due ~april next year
REEEEEEEEEEEE
I fucking hate waiting years for the next book

How fast does Nona grow up?

No clue I'm at the point where she just got to the monastery or cloister or w/e and she took a bath

Overall, do you feel it's a smart choice to have a loli heroine in (presumably) grimdark fantasy?

Mark Lawrence is an edgemaster.

We don't know if she will remain a loli throughout the story though, I think she will fast forward years in learning with the nuns and she will become a badass when she's like 15 or something

But to your question, yes, we need more loli protags.

Rothfuss wrote a hit book and it went straight to his head. Fantasy genre was ripe for a new big name in 2007, and Rothfuss was looking like it was going to be him. But the professional fantasy community jumped on his bandwagon too soon, now he's convinced he doesn't even need to write books to be a big name in fantasy. He just shmoozes with other authors and doles out hot opinions like he's earned the right to act like an old hand at the genre when his fame is barely a decade old and predicated on an unfinished 2 book series that's already decaying in quality.

Rothfuss could've been great if nobody had really noticed him til he had 3 or 4 books out at least.

It's the good kind of edge though

I just finished Solaris, what other Lem is good?

his essays are okay

>good kind of edge
rofl

The frustrating part is Lawrence is already done writing the entire series. He was done before the first book was published, they're just staggering releases to 1/year cause that's how he's always released his books.

The story does Lawrence's usual thing of periodically jumping around rather than doing a straight linear story. Most of the book is told in a linear fashion with a minor time skip about halfway through the book (only like 2-3 years). There's also these "flash-forward" segments where you see Nona as an adult, but they're very brief and there's only like 3 of them scattered through out the book. Most of it is her as a young child, prepubescent, even after the time skip she still hasn't had her period yet I think.

>I don't like to get angry. It makes me angry.

>what is humor

I'm reading Solaris and so far it's mostly been really convoluted technical jargon and almost nothing has happened. Half the time the book focuses on Kelvin talking with Snow and everything else is just confusing and mysterious. I'm on like page one hundred or so, can't remember the specific part I'm at since I haven't read it in a few days, something where Kelvin is talking to Snow. Should I finish it?

can i get a recommendation for a fantasy series where gods interact with mortals? i'm already reading malazan

Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. The gods are a lot more distant and aloof than the ones in Malazan, only rarely coming into contact with the characters, but it's more exciting when they do for all that. In Malazan, mortals are incredibly blase about coming face to face with their gods because it seems to happen with regularity.

Has anyone read Dread Empire's Fall?

I just finished David Zindells Ea Cycle and really enjoyed it. Now I'm looking for something similar. Any recommendations?

Guys does the emperor of thorns book have a different font type for the flashback parts? Or is my copy fucked?

It looks ugly

Really, Babe? I utilize Aight to be the Hack.

Age of White
Unhewn throne
Promise of blood

Really babe? I utilize the hack to be aight.

I buy four rifles every year, and gift them to random acquaintances on Pat Rothfuss's birthday. It is a ritual penance I do for having ever paid for one of his books.

I'm running out of unarmed people, I'm going to have to start meeting new people so that I can keep arming them.

uhh i just started mine last night but so far all the fonts are uniform

might as well, it's a well known and respected book
I agree it's exactly fun to read but at least trawling through the fictional jargon sections feels rewarding

Sadpanda code for pic?

back at it again with the shitchart

Any suggestions for robot male on human female stories?
>inb4 robots have no gender

One of Asimov's "Robots and..." books had a subplot about this with some surprisingly explicit scenes, but I forget which

The Caves of Steel books, but I think it's all implied

So /sffg/ I don't usually read a lot of science fiction but I wanna start. Can anyone suggest something entertaining with huge space battles and ridiculous tech. Reading the description for Consider Phlebas and it sounds like what i'm looking for.

The Culture books are great, but Use of Weapons is probably a better entry point. Consider Phlebas isn't bad, though.

Cool I think I has some of those in my backlog. You wouldn't happen to remember what kind of robot it was? I ask because a project I'm playing around with has a woman fall in love with an old war robot

In Caves of Steel it's an android intended to be indistinguishable from human.

Isn't that the third book in that series? Is it really fine to start in the middle of the series like that?

t-try my chart although realistically I think Dune, Gateway or Hyperion are all great entry points, along with The Culture which other user suggested.

Wait, Slow Regard was actually the best thing he's written, it actually showed writing talent far above anything in those books... Makes me think you are a retard.

It's fine. Culture novels don't really follow on from one another.

While it's nice to see folks out there giving this book five stars, and in some cases even reviewing it, I'll admit that I'm kinda puzzled.

After thinking it over for a while, I've realized there's only one explanation for this:

Time travelers love my books.

This is strangely reassuring, as it lets me know that, eventually, I do finish my revisions, and the book turns out good enough so that I still have a following out there in the big ball of wibbly-wobbly.... timey-wimey.... stuff that I like to think of as the future.

I would also like to say, future readers, that I appreciate your taking time to read and review my books. It's really flattering knowing that even with time-travel technology at your disposal, you'd rather read my stuff and mention it here on goodreads, rather than, say, hunt dinosaurs, get drunk with da Vinci, or pants Hitler.

Secondly, I'd like to say if you're The Doctor, and you're reading this, I would make an excellent traveling companion. I know you normally tend to hang out with pretty young women and robot dogs. And honestly? I respect that.

Still, I bring certain things to the table. Humor, witty banter, and a beard that will allow me to blend in seamlessly with any pre-industrial Germanic culture. I'm also an excellent kisser and play a mean game of Settlers of Catan.

Just throwing it out there.

Lastly, if any of you happen to have a digital copy of the book you'd like to e-mail me, I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to see the five-star version of the book, because right now, the one I'm toiling away at is about a three an a half-in my opinion. It would save me a lot of work if I could just skip to the end and publish it.

Sincerely yours,

pat

Whata cop out

>if you don't appreciate poetry you're a retard
>cultured people enjoy poems

I second Unhewn Throne.

Take a look at The Commonwealth Saga.

Does Pat the gnome hate guns or something?

So here's the extent as to the SFF books I've read:
>The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings
>A bunch of books by Arthur C Clarke
>ditto for Philip K. Dick
>first three books of ASOIAF
>bit of stuff by Harlan Ellison
>most of Dune but didn't like it
>The Time Machine
>Watchmen and V for Vendetta (fuck you, it counts)
>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (up to book three)
>Alice's Adventures In Wonderland
>currently reading Solar Lottery and the Illuminatus! Trilogy (plus Desolation Angels, but that's irrelevant here)

What does /sffg/ recommend I read next? I'm thinking of something really fun and out-there. I would read Hyperion but I want something with Star Wars-tier space travel and stuff like that.

Revelation Space I guess.

Depends on what you like.. Look at this chart if yo care to.

make sure your reader is not overriding the books default to check. It seems the font goes crazy from chapter 4 onwards, with a change in POV

I should have clarified Im talking about the ebook version

I asked this in the deleted thread and fell asleep only to find it deleted so I'll ask again.

Any fantasy that uses Biblical shit as inspiration. I like angels and demons and whatnot. I'm tired on tolkein-esque and don't feel like magic either.

What is this picture a reference to?

You shouldn't read any of his works.

Anyone read The Windup Girl? Sounds interesting and unique enough.

I asked last thread and didn't get a response so I'll try again.

Do you chaps know of a more adult oriented fantasy series that deals with a fantasy "nature preserve"?

>The frustrating part is Lawrence is already done writing the entire series. He was done before the first book was published, they're just staggering releases to 1/year cause that's how he's always released his books.

That's fucking gay and I hate this 1 book every year meme

How else do you stay relevant?

What are some good fantasy or sci fi books with MONSTERS or creatures of some sort.?