I need to know this

I need to know this

Can high iq people(120 to 160) do basic mental math in their head? Or just any of the four operations in their head?

Like is it true if you use a calculator you are a brainlet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences
youtube.com/watch?v=PPySn3slfXI
youtube.com/watch?v=ltYGVobKX0U
youtube.com/watch?v=IHZV8Juna40
youtube.com/watch?v=jSo5v5t4OQM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why can't i add 353332+3544884 in my head? What am i lacking? no bully

It's like handwriting. Posturing brainlets will work hard to get good at because they're overcompensating. Actually intelligent don't care, because they're busy thinking about more important things.

yea yea but do people with generally high iq use calculators for basic mental math(64+92) or do they do it in their head

>Actually intelligent people don't care

Clearly you're not one of them

When im doing an exam, i do basic operations like 64+92 with the calculator vecause i make mistakes like evrybody else.

We'll see if other anons think so as well. Btw can you personally do basic mental math in your head or do you use a calculator because it's more efficient?

op here. same here but is it different with high iq people?

There's this engineer I know, very smart, you can ask him to do some basic arithmetic like division or multiplication and he'll spit out a very, very close approximation in an instant. But if you ask him to do it properly it's gonna take him a while, still way faster than the average person.
Not sure about that meme that doing advanced math takes away from your arithmetic either, most of my math professors were pretty quick, especially at spotting errors

>This pic
Peterson mentioned having high verbal IQ yet low quantitative one and he also admitted being bad at mental math.

>basic arithmetic like division or multiplication

I can't tell the difference between
memorization and pure intellect. Do you think he memorized it?

Op here. I really like this answer. So there are different types of iq?? It's not packed into one bunch?

There are. I know that [citation needed].
Peterson who is a psychologist said that the more intelligent you are the higher the gap between your IQs. If a person is extremely good at mental math (like 97+th percentile) the chances are his verbal/spatial IQ are in 60-70th percentile.

I've given you Peterson's example (high verbal, low quant.).
Terence Tao did his first SAT at the age of 8. His math scores were in 99th percentile while his SAT-V was only 290 points (still good for 8 years). Tao's example clearly demonstrates the existance of gap in abilities.

toa does speak pretty fast. Also you have any source with this different iq types thing

Jbp also says in multiple interviews he was a very chatty kid. No wonder his verbal iq is very high

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

are all these types of intelligences included in an iq test in one? or are most iq tests logical-mathematical?

It depends on the complexity of the operation and the training of the person. I can mentally calculate how much of an hour is 25 minutes if you give me a few seconds but I definitely can't divide 370/sqrt(2).
Surely high IQ people may need little or no training to do that, but people like Daniel Tammet are VERY rare exceptions.

I feel like there aren't many studies on multiple intelligences.

There are generally high iq people and there are people who are natural at maths. I have known two such people and they could do mad mental calculations in their head in an instant of time. I also know several others who can be considered high iq and while they are good at maths they mental calculations abilities are mostly average

Well with practice it becomes easier, I can probably do them on 2-3 digit numbers in my head. a calculator becomes less convenient at some point. there are also neat things about numbers and you can use those to manipulate numbers for the output. t. brainlet

He himself has said that the multiple intelligences theory is bullshit. I guess he knows that there are a few different cognitive areas, but not as many as the multiple intelligences theory postulates.
IIRC, there's only three: verbal, spatial and quantitative.
I do think that there isn't a quantitative intelligence in itself. One can develop quantitative skills either through the verbal, spatial, or both sides, myself being an example of doing quick mental math because of my color-grapheme synesthesia (i.e. I took the verbal route). But hey, if people that studied more than me have said so, who am I to say otherwise?

christ man if youre that concerned about your arithmetic skills buy a fucking soroban and get visualizing

>Like is it true if you use a calculator you are a brainlet?
No, it just means you weren't drilled hard enough as a child and lack the proper neural connections.

>are a brainlet?
Memory doesn't impact IQ.

>intelligences theory is bullshit
>there's only three: verbal, spatial and quantitative.
>there's only three
>three

>Memory doesn't impact IQ.
Of course it does. It is correlated with high IQ and helps developing it.
Imagine you have a photographic memory. You can look at an exercize once and then have it in your head without ever having to look it up. It enables you to solve it anywhere without needing any pen or paper. Do it for long enough and your IQ will go steeply up.
>but IQ is static
After a certain age, yeah. But if you have that level of memory since you were born, you had your whole childhood and teens to do that. And it's pretty common sense at this point that children have much more plastic brains than adults.

Obviously not all smart people have good memory, but my point is that many of them do.

There is no such thing as "verbal" as opposed to "quantitative" intelligence, that is just bullshit promoted by brainlets who know how to speak so that they can feel smart. "Verbal intelligence" is largely related to one's personality and practice that they have, the more you speak, the better you get at speaking, and there are many other factors that contribute to verbal ability.

There are only 2 kinds of intelligence, fluid (Gf factor) and crystallized (Gc factor), the first relates to your ability to reason in problems independent of past knowledge, the second relates to your ability to recall and use experience and general knowledge. Gf factor declines with age, and Gc factor increases with age. IQ tests test these two factors, they don't test "verbal intelligence" as opposed to "spatial intelligence".

Basic, yes. But anything with very large numbers (I'd guess like anything bigger than 6-7 digits for adding and maybe 3 for multiplication) isn't testing intelligence any longer, just whether you have savant-tier short term memory.
But you should be able to estimate just about anything to within 5-10% accuracy. If you can't do that you are a permabrainlet.

> Daniel Tammet
im watching a documentary on him now
youtube.com/watch?v=PPySn3slfXI

>this is what pseuds actually believe

Mental math is linked with working memory more tightly than IQ. it doesn't take a genius to run sums, but keeping track of multiple stages of an operation can get difficult if you haven't developed working memory.

The link between working memory and IQ isn't well established, but they appear to be largely independent . For example - "brain-training," such as N-back variations, is well established to improve working memory, but so far, has almost no established correlation to increase in IQ.

So no, all high-IQ people can't magically do mental math. Those that can are likely able to because they had the foresight to see the value in being able to run sums on estimates on the fly, so they trained themselves accordingly, which IS one of the hallmarks of high IQ - synthesis.

TL;DR - just because you can;t do mental math doesn't mean you're brainlet, but the fact that you didn't see a need to worry about metal math until now means that you probably are.

I have a PhD in math and I bought that book.

It's just that I'm afraid I might know most of the content from his videos. In any case, I liked the preable where that other prof introduces his character, so maybe it's gonna be good.

You should read carl jung's books too

youtube.com/watch?v=ltYGVobKX0U

Dude is a fucking alien. I say that because, as a synesthete, I can only grasp what goes on inside his head.

I just found out he's gay

yes?

i can add pretty much any two numbers as long as i can remember both continuously. perhaps 8 digits for each, on the low side.

i can probably do 3 digit multiplication fairly well, but it will definitely take longer.

division can be ballparked

percentages are easy

that's it.

this
I can easily take square roots too
150ish IQ here. you?

it has nothing to do with IQ
it's working memory
autists with 1 in a billion genetics like neumann could reportedly multiply 8 digit numbers in their heads at age 6
erdos at age 4 could calculate in his head how many seconds you lived given your age

so not IQ, but working memory, which is correlated with IQ

OP asked about high IQ people though.

>Jordan Peterson
>hurr durr Carl Jungs IQ is off the scale
why is this board so shit nowadays?

working memory is correlated with iq to about 0.93
so it has almost everything to do with IQ

>working memory is correlated with iq to about 0.93
[citation needed]

>hurr durr parroting is a sign of intelligence
For real?

>not understanding the difference between correlation and causation

lay off the drugs

If it is faster to use the calculator, then yes

It's something you get used to. Try and calculate 23^4 mentally.

I dissagree. Verbal IQ basically is your ability to translate words into patterns/unit of data (or vice versa). Uber autists for one, are high spatial IQ, but lack the genes to express their ideas into words

That computation is easy as fuck though. Just add the 60,90 and 2,4 separately.

How does this relate to ashkenazi IQ? They have high verbal but average spatial. How is that possible if the two are supposed to be correlated (g factor)?

>"Verbal intelligence" is largely related to one's personality and practice that they have, the more you speak, the better you get at speaking, and there are many other factors that contribute to verbal ability.
The same can be said about literally any kind of cognitive skill. The truth is that intelligence is obviously developed through practice, but it also has a genetic component, which gets some people ahead of the game in comparison with others.
Some people are born with an above-average capacity for concatenating symbols, thus being able to write, speak, program or do arithmetic more easily. There are others who fall on the very opposite side and there's even a disturb defined by it, which is called dyslexia. No matter how talkative and temperamentaly verbal you are, if you are dyslexic, you'll never be a poet or do super fast calculations in your head.

Is there an actual correlation between autism and spatial IQ? Because I know an autist who is fluent in both English and Russian (our native language is a romance language btw). If there's someone to be verbal, it's him.

>Uber autists for one, are high spatial IQ, but lack the genes to express their ideas into words
Debatable. The genetic link is still under investigation, although the high rate of autism in engineers and the increasing probability of autism the more engineers you have in your ancestry is a pretty good indicator.
I personally have absurdly good spatial reasoning skills, but if I attempt to articulate complex thoughts faster than like 40-60 wpm, it comes out like I'm a nigger.

>that is just bullshit promoted by brainlets who know how to speak so that they can feel smart.
Agreed.

>the more you speak, the better you get at speaking, and there are many other factors that contribute to verbal ability.
This as well.

What a shit book

anyone can do mental math if they practice at it
pretty sure a high iq person that didnt practice will prefer to use a calculator because it's faster and more reliable

i'll do mental math if it takes less effort than going to get a calculator or if there isn't one around.

holy fuck thanks user
im gonna use this trick

what the fuck

what

This is the ultimate answer.

what the

nigger

Smart people's heads is mostly just noise and a whole ton of bullshit and nonsense all the time and the n word ya

It's more of a confidence thing than an IQ thing. There are probably people with 160 IQ's who will pull out a calculator to do basic addition, and there are normies that will do it in their head.

Here are the videos of Peterson talking about IQ. First is his own IQ and second is an overview of what IQ is.

youtube.com/watch?v=IHZV8Juna40

youtube.com/watch?v=jSo5v5t4OQM

tested "high" IQ faggot here (~130)
I can do some in my head but always use a calculator on tests to make sure there are no mistakes.

>I can do some in my head
examples?

Working memory aka RAM. It's not a physically seperate component like with silicon computers, but it does seem to exist in some way or another. Some humans can keep track of more patterns simultaneously than others.

>asking about smart people on Veeky Forums
the IQ test thread proved that everyone here is a total fucking brainlet

Not him but I can multiply any two-digit numbers in my head.

For example 14 x 17 = 238

Nothing to do with intelligence but I find thinking about everything as fractions tends to spend up mental calculations. So 2 becomes 2/1 and 0.25 becomes 1/4. It just sort of standardises everything in your head which makes it clearer.

how

I've heard that learning to use an abacus will increase your mental math abilities by quite a lot.

japanese schools have this

u don't belong here. plz leave

Yea, but that's really not an impressive feat at all.

I don't. I know I will get a good grade even if I get the basic math wrong. If you show enough work, the teacher will not care that much.

>u don't belong here. plz leave
checks out

>iq
i want this meme to die
>"let's take this arbitrary test that claims to measure 'intelligence' that was developed in a garbage pseudoscience field and pretend it means something other than 'X is good at recognizing patterns in this way'"
if an iq test is anything, it is a social test; what do you EXPECT the test makers to be looking for as an answer? because you can honestly pick what stupid answer you want to complete the picture sequence and have a valid argument as to why it works
the old Veeky Forums would never have let the psychologists stay around, now i'm always seeing nonsense about "fluid" and "crystalized" intelligence, as if this two-category imposition is anything more than a shot in the dark to guess how brains work

this. everyone i've met who actually cares about their iq score has turned out to be nothing more than a moron with an ego. i can also attest to the veracity of that image

10x 17 = 170
4 x 17= 68
170+68=238

Last year I got a soroban. Now I am a god among men.

my IQ is 125 and I cant visualize numbers. However since a child I always attributed certain personalities to numbers. No advantage to that at all. but I'm crazy perceptive of subtle social ques, micro expressions (hate that term) also surprisingly good at predicting behavior with little exposure to someone. I can't ignore what I see or fully embrace it. People think Im psychic or something ridiculous. Even when I explain my thoughts and how I make these non linear connections. I try to define how everything I see is told to me by people, just listen and you'll see. its difficult to convey. Easier to just keep it in and try not to seem weird.
I fit in but don't need too, however playing nice grants opportunity.
It's a curse. We bear the burden for those who lack the capacity to. Only to be resented for it. We will never fit in completely. Hell the ideal is half in half out. But would anything other even be missed or appreciated?
Is it even advantageous, or a handicap?
All I can say is don't allow yourself to deny the pleasure of acting foolish with others. Perspective can open your eyes if varied/

g factor makes this stuff a moot point

Just finished it. It was an awesome read!

JP has unintentionally stepped up as the surrogate father figure our male generation never had. He's the wise king we were never told about from a social movement that brands us all tyrants.

user is ascending

Wait, is this not what everyone does? I've been doing this since 3rd grade or so.

Of course we can do it in our heads. I make games out of doing mental math to pass time. You can't/don't?

i can literally imagine the numbers in my head on top of each other and work like you would on paper
You can too with practise i bet.