Can we talk about this book?

Can we talk about this book?

I thought it was amazing. Had a real dark atmosphere to it. Felt more akin to Bulgakov than to Gogol though, as I'd seen advertised.

And its as dense as I'd heard. The translator must have had the patience of a saint.

Is Krasznahorkai lit's current end-of-level-boss?

>Is Krasznahorkai lit's current end-of-level-boss?

No. László joined your party.

His sentences are really long.
But the prose is pretty.
t.Magyar

I know! And some of them went on almost half the page in some cases, never once losing the flow

I wasnt a fan. Who cares about your futile political situation? Write real history instead

he's one of the best living writers.

his work tends to be really slow-burning, psychological and idiosyncratic so it can be off-putting

most of his writing is in a world in which everyone is driven by fear and inertia so his writing can be emotionally taxing.

it only gets better so keep reading my dude.

(also, check out sebald and bernhard if you're into this style of writing)

What's it about?

>Is Krasznahorkai lit's current end-of-level-boss?
Humanity has, to date, not come up with a book with more interpretations (or a book which humanity has worked harder in interpreting) than the Bible, so it's still that I guess.

lol

Any recs?

A shady circus moves to a small, close-knit community promising to exhibit nothing but the world's largest whale. The arrival of the circus brings with it also a large cult-like following of ill repute and so the town is plunged into paranoia and violence as the community has to deal with the danger these people have brought to the streets.

The rest is POV and character development that'll give it away if i go further into it.

Try War&War, I'm not sure about the translation but every chapter is one sentence in the original to reflect the personality of the main character.

He is arguably the best living writer.

I marathoned this book in what was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had reading since I can remember. I immediately followed up with Satantango, which even surpassed this one. He's amazing.

The Last Wolf is a 70ish page short story in a single sentence.

For Sebald, I'd start with Vertigo, then go The Emigrants, then Rings of Saturn. Austerlitz can be read before or after but I wouldn't read it in the midst of taking down the sort of "trilogy" the first three books mentioned make up.

For Bernhard, I would start with Wittgenstein's Nephew, Concrete, or Yes. Yes is arguably the weakest out of those three but it's still great. It's the easiest of his works, I think.

is this more Kafkaesk or Ligottian ?

Is this good for a second Krasznahorkai book? I've only read Satantango and enjoyed it a lot.

Its my first and i can't recommend it enough

seconded. really i think there is no serious competition

neither, really. he's much to dark to be kafkaesque (as there is none of the absurd humor of kafka) and he has that atmosphere of overwhelming, inescapable doom of ligotti, but he does it much, much better. he's a lot more anxious and apocalyptic than ligotti

I don't need a translation. I cam read the original.

None?