Why is the second chapter of this book perfect? I've never felt so attached to a book in my life before...

Why is the second chapter of this book perfect? I've never felt so attached to a book in my life before. The second chapter alone could be an independent short story and it would still be glorious. I literally had to drop the book off and walk around in circles. Sweet Jesus is like I was having an attention orgasm the whole way trough.

Post a nice excerpt for the Veeky Forumsizens among us who haven't read this one yet.

have read but dont remember chapter, post some dawg

The middle part

not OP, but i've been tearing through this book and this hit me pretty hard

>Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read; and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.

If that's the chapter in which he befriends Dave Masters and Gordon Finch, I completely agree.

It's really a beautiful book.

what is it that you like so much? I just finished the audiobook a few weeks ago.

Yes it is
In one chapter the ambitions of William become clearer after the mist that was the first one. It goes from youth drastic changes to mature well fit together explanations. Also the whole Great War theme is portrayed beautifully without being preachy nor reliant on it. It made me wish I had literature friends to hang out with til late night drinking.
Spoilers: The way it ends saying that Masters died in his first battle is a fucking punch to the throat. I was reading trough it like a hot knife trough butter and suddenly it gets you out of nowhere with it. Just a masterpiece of a chapter.

We were mesmerized by the same excerpt. Our souls are forever bonded from this day forth.

Chapter 2 and the majority of the book are very comfy. I read the last chapter while laying in bed, and the prose used to describe Stoner's death almost made me fall asleep in a good way.

>psued's first realization of "GEE, THERE IS SO MUCH I COULD HAVE DONE HAD I READ ALL MY ENTIRE LIFE"
I love this book but I expected you to point out something more interesting desu.

I don't think Stoner was a pseud at any point because of his background. If anything, Walker and Lomax were the pseuds.

I am saying these guys are psueds:

I don't really mean psueds though and I'm just kind of bullying them cause these are young-reader realizations.

it's not that it's a realization it's that those are passages that connect profoundly with readers

you fucking pseud

And why would it connect if it wasn't somehow profound to these people the realization "I could have done a lot more with something if I dedicated a lot more time to it." It doesn't take a psued to see this as true and simoltaneously kind of obvious.

>why would someone connect with another sharing a sentiment they both hold

>In his extreme youth Stoner had thought of love as an absolute state of being to which, if one were lucky, one might find access; in his maturity he had decided it was the heaven of a false religion, toward which one ought to gaze with an amused disbelief, a gently familiar contempt, and an embarrassed nostalgia. Now in his middle age he began to know that it was neither a state of grace nor an illusion; he saw it as a human act of becoming, a condition that was invented and modified moment by moment and day by day, by the will and the intelligence and the heart.

That person tried to argue it wasn't a shared realization. It wasn't a mystery that needed explaining to me.

Williams is a GOD.

DUDE WEED LMAO XD

Is that the chapter when he first listens to the Shakespeare sonnet, or is that in chapter one? Could anyone post that part?