A group of scientists announced earlier today they've been able to eliminate HIV in mice...

A group of scientists announced earlier today they've been able to eliminate HIV in mice. This might mean we're very close to curing one of the most damaging diseases there are, potentially saving millions
What has philosophy done for humanity during the last, say, 200 years or so? :^)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic
ocw.mit.edu/courses/linguistics-and-philosophy/24-241-logic-i-fall-2005/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-classical/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-probability/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-information/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>saving bugchasing faggots
This isn't a good thing.

Philosophy created science. If it weren't for philosophy they'd never have eliminated HIV in mice.

If you knew something about science, you would know that, by definition, it does not create things with practical use in our lives.

>Humanities major detected
>Can't even do the arithmetic to figure out that that was more than 200 years ago

How about creating the proto-language that all computer programming derives its syntax from you fucking moron.

>What has philosophy done for humanity during the last, say, 200 years or so? :^)

discovered and formulated the formal tools and logical languages that created computer science and all of modern computing technology

>logic
>philosophy
"no"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

Had science not allowed easier transport of people and diseases all over the world we wouldn't have to be dealing with HIV in the first place. Fuck off, positivist scum.
Also, I have a feeling that you read this on one of those clickbait sites that announce groundbreaking discoveries that you don't hear of ever again.

It is a facet of our current western society that we judge usefulness in the sense of pragmatism above everything else. Philosophy does not have to "do" anything, neither does science actually.

These people soon to be cured from HIV, will not have their sense of dread from an impending death anymore healed than it is right now. They will still be anxious about the next day, about what is going to happen tomorrow, and still question themselves on how they are leading their life and how they ended up wherever they are right now. Not having a disease anymore will not keep them from looking out a window during their free time and wondering about things they can see and also about things they can't see. In short, they will engage in philosophy like you or not, even if in a very rudimentary form which arrives from not ever reading about others' ideas.

Whether or not you have HIV, you will lay on your bed some nights and the same existential dread will begin to fill your bones with trembling cold. This is where philosophy would give you something more elaborate, perhaps even consolating, to think about, if you weren't an illiterate empiricist.

>t. actual physicist who thinks Krauss and Tyson are doing a huge disservice

I'm happy for the mice. I really am. I have a mouse at home, and I wouldn't like to see him sick. But my god, I do not want homos to be cured. I want them to bear the burden of hiv and aids like Jesus bore the cross.

boole, frege, russell and whitehead all considered themselves philosophers and their work (and formal logic more generally) is a canonical part of the philosophy curriculum throughout the world, so yes

I wish they poured that much money into literally any other disease, I don't really plan on having unprotected sex with any of the HIV demographics
>b-but if you have rough anal for 24 hours a day there's a one in a million chance you will catch it from white hetero women who had less than 5 partners too

The value of philosophy is not determined by its utility.

Functionalist utilitarians can eat a dick.

But user! What about le magic pill that stops aids from transferring from her ass to your dick??

Logic has been a separate field in itself for a pretty fucking long time. It's way closer to math than philosophy departments worldwide nowadays

Nietzsche is responsible for the state of the modern world. Well, him and Hegel.

>a whole wall of mental gymnastics to try and argue that curing HIV is useless because humans will still have feel feels

Is this satire?

The only thing that philosophy needs to do is catch my interest. That is all.

then why do nearly all philosophy departments in the english speaking world require their majors to take logic courses?

why do philosophy departments employ professors who teach and publish in formal logic? (like Peter Koellner at Harvard, as one tiny example)

why does MIT open courseware offer logic courses in the philosophy section? for instance, ocw.mit.edu/courses/linguistics-and-philosophy/24-241-logic-i-fall-2005/

why does the stanford encyclopedia of philosophy of philosophy have at least four major entries on different branches of logic?

plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-classical/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-probability/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-information/

>What has philosophy done for humanity during the last, say, 200 years or so? :^)

Have you never heard of Karl Marx?

user has a point though. Why should we cure them if they're still depressed degenerate homos?

Mostly computer science majors take these classes. When I took it for my BSc, it was all the same dudes from my comp 101 class.

delet this

So, the irony is that he never achieved anything scientifically and became an entertainer on TV?

really makes you think

feminism

but the classes were still taught by philosophers, and philosophy majors also take these classes

look, at this point your claim that logic isn't part of philosophy is well refuted and you do yourself a disservice by failing to just admit it and move on

The post does not imply pragmatism should be dropped altogether, it just shouldn't be the sole criterium for the value of human endeavour. The OP is not merely relishing over the fact that HIV is nearing its end (this can only be a good thing) but also claiming that this indicates the uselesness of any thought that is not empirical and pragmatic.

This positivist line of thinking DOES lead to curing HIV being "useless" though: there is nothing to cherish afterwards if you don't engage in philosophical matters about how good it is to be alive, as you have already reached the proof of your initial thesis, and another struggle to cure something else must begin. Quite samsara-ish if you ask me.

I don't believe this is mental gymnastics, it's a very simple claim actually: that people will engage in philosophy regardless and it does no good to diminish its value in face of anything else. If OP ended in the first paragraph that would have been pretty much 100% agreeable.

Is he even published?

Philosophy tells you whether or not that's even a praiseworthy achievement.

>2017
>Still thinking only the homos has HIV

Curing HIV is bad, because it allows homosexuals with poor judgement to live and costs the public a great deal of money to pay for their treatment.

Also, science is bad. Primitivism is superior.

If you don't account for drug users and "Men who have sex with men" which are mostly in-the-closet Black guys, then it's almost exclusivey homosexuals.

the only defensible support of philosophy in this thread imo

You mean treating HIV is bad. Curing it would remove it altogether. However, in the long run it's cheaper to treat because the medications they give to patients also decrease the chances of transmission, thereby reducing the incidence of HIV overall.

>shifting the goalposts this hard

Moreover, science can't tell us how to be happy and find meaning in life. Everyone philosophizes to a certain degree.\

Also this perhaps advances in science are going against natural selection and making us weaker.

>thinking these things are seperate and mutually exclusive
Math is logic is language is philosophy is art is science

I majored both in philosophy and computer science
My philosophy curriculum had a single class dedicated to logic, meanwhile my computer science degree required three disciplines in logic

Historically, logic has been a field of philosophy, yeah, but from the 20th century onwards it's something different altogether

>it allows homosexuals with poor judgement to live and costs the public a great deal of money to pay for their treatment.
they already cost us a shit ton of money
and you're failing to contemplate the single instance where a cure for hiv could promote the most significant social change: africa. remove aids from the equation and that continent could achieve renewed life

The fact that that is the best defence of philosophy is a pretty good indicator of what philosophy is worth.

>renewed life
That's not how you spell apocalyptic levels of overpopulation

Bait.

>Bait.
not an argument

Spoke like a true wagecuck.

>negation simple
NAA

I am tired of this "all life is precious" sentiment. Ancient cultures killed disfigured newborns, and for good reason. We do not need more retards and disabled people to care for, on top of an ever-expanding retired population. Now, we are BOASTING about eliminating the disease that is culling herds of primitive niggers in Africa and gays?

Every day that passes I want to die more and more.

>Every day that passes I want to die more and more.
go ahead and off yourself, anti-life scum

says the unemployable faggot

>do you cuddle up to your assumptions when you're all alone in the dark of night, user?

Shit, didn't mean to greentext. Just kill me already. I'll never recover my respect on this anonymous checzeslovakian loli-smugglin forum

>implying the majority affected are homos or that it significantly contributes tot he prorogation of it

>What has philosophy done for humanity during the last, say, 200 years or so?

How do you scientifically prove that 'doing something for humanity' is good?

HIV was manmade.Google it.

God wants there to be fags.In almost every species there are faggots.In humans,being a faggot can even be considered an evolutionary advantage.

Science is the evolution of what we know. Philosophy is the evolution in how we think.

Philosophy is a bunch of 80%-true statements chained together to produce massive half-truths

People should die from disease