Scientism EXPOSED!!!

It's a hit piece on Science - Anyone else think this is the dumbest fucking thing ever.

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This. Scientism is very real.

Veeky Forums.org/rules#sci

>All science and math related topics welcome.

>No "religion vs. science" threads.

What does scientism have to do with religion?

Scientism is essentially a religion.

>Scientism is essentially a religion.
How so?

I'm a card-carrying scientismist.

Because it's purely belief/faith based. Just replace the word of God with the words of scientists.

Theories = theology. Majority of mainstream theories are not up for debate any more, they have become dogmatic, something which real science is supposed to get away from.

Everything's up for debate but some scientific theories are just too compelling to doubt easily.
You can try. Science is for everyone even aliens and monkeys etc. You just gotta follow the method it's pretty simple, that's why every decision should be a scientific decision. Science can't be wrong.

>Because it's purely belief/faith based. Just replace the word of God with the words of scientists.

This is a strawman. You never read Alex Rosenberg, Mario Bunge, James Ladyman and other philosophers of science proponents of scientism.

>Make post about movie concerned with defending creationism
>Get called out for making a 'religion vs science' post
>Give a bullshit answer like 'What does scientism have to do with religion?' knowing full well that this thread is about creationism
Go fuck yourself.

What does scientism have to do with creationism?

Are you mixing up scientology (a religion) with scientism (not a religion)?

The people who made this documentary are creationists/flat earthers that believe that mainstream science created evolution and the heliocentric/globe earth model to lead people away from God. These people are absolute uber-fundamentalists Christians.

>The people who made this documentary are creationists/flat earthers that believe that mainstream science created evolution and the heliocentric/globe earth model to lead people away from God. These people are absolute uber-fundamentalists Christians.
Do you have any argument against the film that isn't an ad hominem?

>You can try. Science is for everyone even aliens and monkeys etc. You just gotta follow the method it's pretty simple, that's why every decision should be a scientific decision. Science can't be wrong.
Yeah you're the reason they made a documentary about scientism.

ok I googled real quick and this specific documentary is fucking dumb, but scientism is a real problem

>uber-fundamentalists Christians
And muslims

The film promotes a literal interpretation of The Bible as the absolute definitive true model of the Universe and that modern science is under the influence of Satan. I'm not kidding, they actually claim that Satan created evolution for the sole purpose to spite God.

>Oh no he trusts proven science above random guesses from idiots

This could have been an interesting film, figures that it had to be handled by mongoloids.

How I wish they were right. I wonder though what pushes people to be create and fully embrace these conspiracy theories/bullshit. Are they really this retarded? Or maybe the prospect of a meaningless life is too much for them and this is a coping mechanism.

There is nothing wrong with scientism.

Little bit of both . . .

Scientism is just a smear term created by Creationists to delegitimizes actual credible science that disprove their retarded Biblical fanfiction.

>appeal to motive

While I'm sure that those people exist, there are other people that dogmatically treat untested speculations as 'scientific fact'.

>inb4 'it's a spectrum"

scientism is a thing and goes hand in hand with pop-science, scientific illiteracy and fedora worshipping

>pop-science, scientific illiteracy and fedora worshipping

Okay I agree that those things are cancerous and give science a bad reputation, but I wouldn't say that science is dogmatic. Meanwhile, Creationist are people literally trying to pass off 3,000 year old myths as scientific fact.

>retards deny research because it doesn't fit their agenda
>"lol that's just fucking scientism, you can't trust that research."
>retards that don't actually understand what science is use it to talk about shit science doesn't actually have a place in
>"lol everyone knows the best way is through science alone, everything else is just bullshit."

"scientism" isn't a smear against science. It's a smear against idiots who are wrong about what science is valid for, what science is best for, and what is actual science.

Nope. Some philosophers of science openly defend scientism. And the term was coined by Condorcet in the XVIII century (scientisme).

>"scientism" isn't a smear against science
Except that it's used as such. Plenty of people will gladly use the concept of scientism to dismiss any and all research that go against their beliefs. Go to any of those anti-vaccine groups and try to show them the mountains of data that go against their belief and watch how they'll immediately retreat to shouts of scientism.

As if scientism was a bad thing...

>Science
>Scientism
"Science" has lost all meaning at this point

Where can I get a labcoat and goggles like this?

First solar roadways, then this?!