This triggers the mathematician

Yes, we already know you guys use some dumbed down concepts from mathematics. Why would that trigger us?

>physicists can't do proper maths without having it dumbed down for them
Must be embarrassing. Why the fuck can't they be bothered to study shit properly?

Being "study[ing] shit properly" has translated to mathematics (axiomatic field theory, for example) being decades behind proper physics.

Doesn't answer my question, brainlet. Studying maths properly doesn't translate to being decades behind in physics.

And what are you trying to say? That rigor and formalism should be abandoned? Retard

Physicists are retarded and naive for using the same math known for centuries and calling it something else.

Even in your own field you have 5 names for the same thing.

*receives your field's most coveted award*
nothin personnel, phenotypelets

>ITT: Undergrads think researchers can be distinguished by a the curriculum they had 30 years ago.

>Studying maths properly doesn't translate to being decades behind in physics

It does by way of the example I gave. That answers your question.

>And what are you trying to say? That rigor and formalism should be abandoned?

That's quite a leap. Logical thinking is a specialty of the mathematician, but it isn't yours.

burn

The funny thing is that Witten isn't even half as intelligent as most of my fellow physics undergrads. It's just that most of them figure they can make more money in industry, and they leave before making progress in academia like Witten.

Do you actually believe this?

yeah, physicists do much harder math than mathematicians (e.g. how freshman-sophomore undergrad physics majors are expected to solve the schrodinger equation in radial coordinates, learn the SU(2) algebra, be fine with clebsch-gordon coefficients, and know plenty of gaussian statistics) so we create shortcut, useful ways of doing it.

just keep in mind that mathematicians since the mid 1800's have a very crappy track record in advancing physics without a physicist digging up their up-to-then useless stuff; einstein didn't know algebraic geometry and learned it after figuring out the concept of GR; feynman cooked up all his math while the mathematicians were busy proving that QED was impossible because they were unable to come up with renormalization group and the mathy/Witten-esque physicists were bogged down in nonperturbative QFT

Of course

One person in my class can prove the fundamental theorem of calculus from memory. That puts him on par with Newton (ignoring the fact that he also knows math developed after Newton's time)

>Physicists do much harder math than mathematicians
>Equates computation and mathematics
Good one

a very easy thing to prove when you have this whole machinery of integration, differentiation, mean value theorem etc.
wasn't so obvious for newton

What is the point of math without computation i.e. its application?

Math without doing computation is like having a wife but without fucking her.

It was obvious actually. All he had to do was extract information from his German spies

>memorizing something makes you intelligent

>One person in my class can prove the fundamental theorem of calculus from memory. That puts him on par with Newton
This is the stupidest thing I read today
Fuck you for :
1)Thinking it's hard to prove this
2)Thinking you're not a dumbass for memorising a proof
3)Thinking your stupid ass classmate is anywhere close to Newton in terms of intelligence

because suddenly you're demanding physicists to complete a masters degree in math before they can go through bachelor physics

this is literally the dumbest thing i've EVER read on /sci /

The point? As in, why do it?
Well, it's fun and interesting for it's own sake and has great aesthetic value in certain places. It's also intellectually rewarding.

I can recite the alphabet, grammatical rules, and identify the meanings of nearly the entire english language. Am I famous now?

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then they win.

I'm willing to bet not a single one of you could write out a proof of the fundamental theorem of calculus without referring to some textbook. Beyond that, just to proof my point further, my classmate completed the attached problem immediately. Most people intuitively think the answer is 2/3, but he immediately knew the answer was 1/2. Intuition in humans with probability is very rare.

Not even good or entertaining bait