The best STEM major

What is it?
1. Decent pay
2. Big impact
3. Flexibility without need to cuck yourself into ""academia""

Economics/finance

>Science & Math

I would say Mathematics/Statistics. Or perhaps CS, but then you are just a fucking code monkey which is boring as shit. Nevermind the fact that you will almost certainly be working with wannabe nerds who watch the Big Bang theory

>math
>flexibility without the need to cuck yourself into "academia"
Pure delusion. Unless you get a PhD you're gonna be a highschool teacher.

Indeed

You're going to need a PhD or at least a masters for math/stats. Then if you get a PhD or masters in CS then you won't be a code monkey.

Pure math because fuck labwork.

/thread

Unironically CS. Everyone here has their head up their ass about the degree but programming can be comfy af if you get remote gigs.

EE + CS
Truly the master race of STEM

>Veeky Forums-Veeky Forums

I hate this board.

so CE?

Well if that's what you're limiting yourself to, then the correct answer would be "none of them."

Pure math teaches no skills employable outside academia. For math itself, this is a good thing. However, it is hard to argue this is good for everyone.

then leave

CE is not about EE or CS. EE is much more like applied analysis and mathematics. CS is much more like rigorous discrete mathematics.

Any degree as long as it gets you into medical school.

Why can't you people leave? Go to Veeky Forums idiot

This thread has nothing to do with the board. Fucking end your life

>t. autist that thinks the board is soley about circlejerking over autistic and esoteric "pure" math

You're a retard.

That's not the right question. You want to know the best job/career, there's usually multiple ways/majors to get there.

CS easily, btfos every single STEM field in the categories you listed

No. It's about science and math. Not to help with homework. Not to give career advice. Not to guide an undergrad through his semester. Not to obsess over iq

This is a science and math board. You are human filth

>code monkeying
>big impact

You can hide threads you don't like you retarded newfriend

This thread is off topic new friend.
I
Am
Better
than
You

This is now a laughing at autism thread

Either EE, CE or SE.

is it dumb to study computer engineering to be a software dev/eng? I rather do CE over CS cause its less of a meme and it just seems cooler

No. I'm pretty sure you could easily become a software dev with a CE degree.

Computer Science. Only need a bachleror's, 6 figure salary, can contribute to automating all the shitskin's mcdonalds jobs.

EE.
>electronics
>power supply
>programming
>automation
>telecommunication
>robotics
Not to mention the patents you can get. Is there anything more versatile than that?

the ability to critically think for yourself

applied math/stats masterace
big veiny 8 inch cock + 250k starting salary
only a masters needed ez

Then what is CE?

explain

I don't get the point

Physics. Though you need a PhD to get the interesting jobs. That is what I did.

Science
Technology
Engineering
Maths

>I am an elitist moron who things Veeky Forums is all about useless fairy maths

hang yourself

Literally computer science, its not even a competition. It has one of the highest salaries for a bachelors, more employment than any other major, big impact in terms of Entrepreneurship, and extremely flexible.

How can other majors even compete?

Honorable mentions to mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer engineering. But a computer engineer is just a jack of all trades so really not that good.

>CS
>code monkeying
if you're a brainlet like you, sure, but CS literally has hundreds of fields

Food Science

>Can earn massive sums of money
>Can affect literally everyone on the planet
>100% job placement rating with bachelor's degree
>Get to browse Veeky Forums AND Veeky Forums

This. Code monkeys who've never taken a single CS course in their life call themselves computer scientists, but actual CS has some subfields like (modern) AI which require a lot of analysis, linalg, and stats knowledge.

Math OR Statistics/ Economics OR Finance

OR

Math/CS/Finance

Pretty much any of those pairings are sure to be good pay and have impact in the world.

>Literally computer science, its not even a competition.
Prepare to be worked like a dog. I remember 6 months crunch time at a time. No fun, even though well paid. 7 days a week 12 hours a day makes for a lot of overtime but also an unhealthy lifestyle.

one killerapp like fb is responible for depression of millions of normies

1. CS or medicine
2. CS, EE or medicine
3. CS or EE

>EE is much more like applied analysis and mathematics. CS is much more like rigorous discrete mathematics.

Neither of these are true

Biochemistry

good luck finding an employment spot that is specialized for physics. because at best you'd end up working at a CS job or at a engineering job, or at worst, a high school physics teacher.

I am employed and my employer are looking for more physicists. We hired a few this year but need more. And we prefer PhD. Pay isn't too shabby either so I'd still say Physics is an excellent choice.

CE or EE is probably the best. CS is good, and being a code monkey is pretty cool, anyone shitting on it isn't in software.

What so any of those things have to do with careers and salary again? Stop turning Veeky Forums into Veeky Forums

computational chemistry

I did this and I'm pretty satisfied with where I am at age 25

I'm curious, where do you live and what's the pay?

If you do things for money and inpact, you may be meme.

Idk I did CS and I work with people who hate themselves as much as I do.

Data "science"

>Knowledge has its own value)))
>What is a multiplier effect ?
brainlet.jpg

Europe
Patent attorney
About 100.000 Euro

Not only we but most of our competitors are looking for people to hire. Physicists are the number one in demand, electronics and mechanical engineering are next. Chemistry is slower moving but still many opportunities.
Also the patent offices around the world are looking for people, roughly the same priorities.

AMA is not the thing here I guess but we might do a sci /job/ thread one day.

I'm finishing a math/econ double major. It's pretty good and I'm getting some decent offers already. If I could do it again I would do math and finance though

prstitution engineering with those qts

lab workers don't get paid well and, despite being highly trained, are mega expendable.

>soon will start to study chemistry
>no one even mentions it

Pretty good field imho, flexibility and good pay. Tough job market though. Now I get salary to make dabs for a cannabis company

>STEM
is not STEM

Not true. CE and EE take a ton of the same courses in undergrad, EEs take signals and control courses whereas CEs take CS + hardware courses. Also CS is much less rigour than an engineering degree.

fpbp

Mechanical Engineering. Get good at computational mechanics and advanced material modeling.

I'm a physics student. I wonder if you had to do any additional schooling to get the job or if PhD in physics was enough.

The profession requires a masters degree or higher. Where I work we prefer people to have at least 5 years experience in industry since we have to understand the language of the industry which is not the same as in academia.

A common alternative route is to hire people from the Patent Office. My guess is that about 50 percent in the profession come from industry, another 50 percent are hired from the Patent Office and just a handful are hired straight out from university.

There is no further schooling where I am (this varies a LOT between the different countries) but in Europe all new hires are supposed to study for EQE, the exam to become an European patent attorney. The fail rate is very high. Quite a few countries have their own national exam to pass. You will spend years studying for the exam.

Not allowed in Germany. 6 days/week in a row max., 10h/day max.

Hartree and Fock are proud of you

Engineering... whatever discipline you choose just depends on your interests and ambitions.

If you're really ambitious, do something like nanotech or biomedical.

If you just care about making decent money, do something easy like industrial or mechanical.

>Not allowed in Germany. 6 days/week in a row max., 10h/day max.
This was elsewhere in Europe. In addition it was clear to most of us that the company was in serious trouble so we all doubled down to get the job done. The last year my birthday was on a Sunday. I still had to go to work.

In the end all hope was lost and most of us, me included, were made redundant.

How civil engineering a the moment?

one of the easier engineering fields and job prospects are pretty good right now but they might collapse in a few years if (and when) real estate crashes

How good is a CE major? Should I just go for EE instead if ultimately I wanna work on Embedded Systems or Robotics?

CE means it is a question of time before your job ends up in India. If you are Indian it is fine.

EE is safer.

POO in the LOOs will replace you.

CS or Civ E

So it was your fault for choosing the shittiest possible company to work for.

>computational mechanics and advanced material modeling
so.... why not just fucking major in materials engineering at that point?

I have thought about that question and there are no good answers. First off the company began as a startup. That was the golden age. Lots of interesting people, pay wasn't too shabby and we had a lot of perks.

Then the company got a huge contract but parts of the deal seems shady in hindsight. The customer demanded that the largest company in the field should buy us to secure the contract. So we were bought by the Bigcorp. Founder left, not sure why but of course we can guess. We were an independent subsidiary first, still good times. Then we were "streamlined" meaning our management left one by one and new managers from Bigcorp metastased their way into the small company and we were merged into Bigcorp. And that is when the golden age ended.

Still, I got a few good things out of it.

>CE means it is a question of time before your job ends up in India. If you are Indian it is fine.
why?

city planner/architect
definitely programming fits all of them (#2) if you hit it big or work at a big company but you don't even need a degree for that.

>what is an actuary?

A lot of jobs are still being outsourced to India. Good news for Indians, less good news for Westerners.

I meant why is that true for CE and not for EE?

I take it EE is Electrical Engineer, and in my experience the outsourcing pressure there is far less than in the software industry and in parts of the oil industry. The latter also outsources a LOT of mech. eng. work to India.

math + econ ---> econ phd masterrrace

Outsourced programmers from India and other 3rd world countries are usually terrible.

experience shows that this does not stop the flow of outsourcing.

is right.

I thought the same s d majored in pure math because I found it interesting and sucked at lab work. It made me completely unemployable and it didn’t help that the math I actually liked was basically an unpopular field, that has long since lost its appeal.

It left me looking for jobs when I was qualified for none of them. I am now doing random low wage jobs. I wish I would have majored in something like statistics & CS or math & CS instead.

No one literally cares you study algebraic geometry, category theory, set theory, or functional analysis in the real world. That’s a ticket for a minimum wage job at a department store. It qualifies you for jobs that require no degree because that’s about the only places that want to hire you.

I since went back to school studying CS. Suddenly well-known software engineering companies are interested in you. Suddenly you can use your math skills to ace math based CS courses that everyone else finds really hard. Suddenly you seem to have a purpose with your skill set and can basically study math on the side while doing g “real” work for your major and everyone thinks “wow, this programmer is really really smart”.

I still wanna go for a PhD. Just no longer in math, but CS. I’ll still be studying pure math and take math graduate level courses. But having a PhD in CS as opposed to a PhD in math will math me much more employable despite having the same knowledge as a math grad student kek.

>machine learning
>not brainlet-tier
The whole field is literally about giving buzzword names to concepts/theorems from calc/lingebra (backpropagation, also known to every junior undergrad as the chain rule, etc). It's like the paper from medicine that poorly reinvented Riemann integral and renamed it. That's what current ML is about. Disgusting bunch of masturbating monkies.
If you want proper CS fields, look at computational complexity, formal verification, hw/sw co-design, pretty much anything but ML.

To do ML you need to know (beside calculus and linear algebra):
Decision theory, linear programming, optimization, regression, time series, sampling ,Bayesian statistics, stochastic process, multivariate statistical Anaylsis, calculus based probability, information theory.

Seems like a decent thing to study for me.

>b-but look at all these topics covered in first 4 semesters of CS
Decent if you're in it for money, yeah. If you're in it for the thrill you get when thinking about a hard problem, you're better off in any other TCS field.

Found the filthy CS freshman. Have fun living in a high COL city and living in a closet. Gtfo with the CE maymay, I already work in controls/automation and the company i work for says they'll let me finish my CE undergrad because it's relevant to the field. If anything CE is god tier. Enough relevant coursework to apply for EE, ME, CS, Maths, and BioE master's programs. You're going to use only about 10% of what you learned in university anyway.

>tfw my dissertation was on thread-modular synthesis and the most advanced concept i used in work was vEB tree which we learned about in 2nd semester undergrad
More like 1%. Fucking SV cucks and their primitive code monkey culture.