Is having a kindle worth it?

Hey Veeky Forums, /int/ here.
I know people must have asked you this question many times before, but here's the deal:
How did the kindle (or any other eBook reader for that matter) change your reading habits? Was it worth it in the overall?

I've gotta read tons of stuff for uni and things like that, and I was just wondering about it.
I've tried it out a few times before (the old ones), but I'm not sure about the results in the long run because I never really bothered buying one up to now. I'm searching for a different way of reading stuff and also a new reading experience.
Note that I'm not asking anything about the reading features it presents, I mean, I'm asking about the results. Has it improved your reading habits or something like that?
If you're a book person or whatever and you have something bad to talk about e-readers, can you at least list some good ways of improving reading efficiency and / or other alternatives to it in your arguments?

I'm looking for a reasonable discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

geek.com/gadgets/how-to-remove-ads-from-your-ad-supported-kindle-1451553/
gen.lib.rus.ec/
stallman.org/ebooks.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Has it improved your reading habits or something like that?

It damaged them consistently. As irrational as it may sound (not so much after all, since there are tons of studies that prove the validity of what I'm going to say), you still can't beat a book.
There are processes behind our surface that make reading books inherently more efficient than reading on a Kindle: it will be less distracting, you will skip fewer words, it is actually easier to navigate, and you're already trained to read them.

The only possible pro for Kindles, imho, is the economic aspect, since e-books are generally cheaper, and you can download them anyway... still, you could simply go to a library and read books for free.

Avoid them as much as possible, unless you're reading things that do not require your attention.

another pro i find is for door stoppers. no need to be lugging around the complete works of plato

The best thing about kindles is the built in dictionary.

It allows you to look up words instantly without having to stop reading, very useful for foreign languages or difficult books.

Get a paperwhite, my man.

If you are reading mostly books that are in PDF format with figures etc, I wouldn't bother though. Kindles are only good for epub/mobi type books

It helped me a great deal because it encouraged me to start reading books I could get for free which meant I actually started reading classic literature I wouldn't have otherwise tried because it was free.

If you're someone without a great deal of money an e-reader will pay for itself with the sheer quantity of free books you can get.

dear god, just fucking get a paperwhite already. I'm at a stage in my life where I move around quite a bit and will probably continue to do so for a while. Hauling books from one place to another has always been a tremendous pain and a considerable number of books ended up being lost or 'donated' to former house-mates in the process.

As far as reading habits go, it doesn't alter them at all, at least certainly not noticeably. Notes are easy to make too, although I still prefer jotting down shit manually. At first I thought of it as a medium that somehow violates the art, but autism wears many veils and soon got over it. Most ebook formats are easily convertible into the ones supported by kndle, so if you plan on getting free content, or stealing, its nature certainly isn't an impediment.

>eading books inherently more efficient than reading on a Kindle
I'm not sure I believe this. I do a lot of reading on computer/phone screens as well as paper, and I don't find there's any real difference between them aside from eye fatigue from the backlit displays, and obviously e-ink readers won't have that problem.

Then again it's probably just depends on the person, I've grown up reading both.
I'd like to know the age of all the people they include in these studies, I'm sure the younger ones will fare better in reading speed and retention on screens than older folk who haven't used them as much.

I don't have an e-reader yet (it's in the mail) but I don't expect it to be a problem for me.

don't listen to this guya kindle is worth it. get a paperwhite.

Yes, the Paperwhite is really good and you can sideload tons of drm-free .mobi books on it.
Use Calibre to convert from .epub.
BTW I also own and read a shitload of Pléiade and LoA volumes that I love, but I have a poor eyesight and the possibility to change/enlarge fonts on an e-reader is just great.
I also get my daily evening newspaper on it through Amazon subscription.

I actually wasn't thinking about replacing books completely, but these are some good points
The bigger problem related to it I can think of is that due to the possibility of having thousands of books at the same time one could easily get overwhelmed and become distracted by the anxiety it may cause

Agreed, the dictionaries are great and very efficient

Is the 3g version worth it?
I read somewhere that you can access wikipedia for free anywhere and many other things
As far as the pdf stuff is concerned, sometimes I really have to read pdf, but spending hours and hours in front of a pc or a smartphone is driving me crazy, I usually end up printing a lot of stuff I won't use anymore after a while and I was considering buying a kindle because it seemed like it would be an interesting device for filling these gaps
Do you use it a lot under these circumstances?

Great post
I'm considering buying the paperwhite
Is there any substantial difference between the second generation and the third one?

Interesting

What about other e readers? Are they as good as kindle or is kindle the best one?

Get paperwhite and download calibre

>Is the 3g version worth it?

Not at all for 60 more euros. The browser is really clunky so you won't use it for that and most places have wifi anyway if you want to access wikipedia.

>Is there any substantial difference between the second generation and the third one?

Better resolution but you can only buy the paperwhite 3 anyway. Also don't bother with the voyage and the oasis, way too expensive for the few extras they have.

>What about other e readers? Are they as good as kindle or is kindle the best one?

Kobo is good too, a lot people here have one. It supports epub format and kindle doesn't but it's not really that relevant since you can use Calibre to convert epub to mobi instantly.

Looks like I'm different from this guy: >How did the kindle (or any other eBook reader for that matter) change your reading habits?

It helped them tremendously. Because the Amazon library is stocked with millions of books, I can find books that suit my interest at that exact moment. Because of it's portability, I can stuff a whole library into my pocket.

>Was it worth it in the overall?
Absolutely. My Kindle's library would cost probably $5,000+ if it was in physical form. Only rarely will I ever pay more than 5 bucks for a book.

I take it everywhere. Another benefit is nobody noticing what I'm reading. I read very niche and somewhat embarrassing books on the Kindle.

> one could easily get overwhelmed and become distracted by the anxiety it may cause

This is a problem I face. I have downloaded TOO many interesting books. However, one benefit is that I can read any niche that I may be craving at that moment. I can be reading Edgar Poe, and then switch to the history of the Norman Conquest, and then go read some Greek Literature, without missing a beat

I just mentioned the PDF thing because it's not as good as epub-style books for them. Watch some youtube videos of people reviewing them to see how it's not as fluid.

I didn't bother with 3g as I just use wifi and it's not really worth the extra to me. I think it's mostly useful if you are always travelling

This is my routine to give you an idea:
>download book from libgen or wherever else, either in epub or mobi
>import it into calibre
>if it was epub, convert to azw3
>plug in kindle
>right click on book in calibre and send to kindle
>done

PDF to azw3 can be pretty bad depending on how it was made. Other anons probably know better about this than me though.

Oh and azw3 format is just an updated version of mobi. Most of the time it makes no difference, except if the epub has extra formatting things that are supported with regular mobi (I don't even know what they are).

What would be the cheapest ereader for putting a bunch of epubs on?

Probably a used regular kindle (just convert the epubs to mobi). The regular kindle doesnt have lighting so you can't read without lights on (think how gameboys were).

I see everyone recommending the paperwhite, are the other kindles just no good?

Kindle paperwhites must be popular.

Here's a chart from /g/ about eBook readers. Kobo DRM can get outdated with devices like Blackberry apps, nook is not popular for some reason, sony ebooks are not sold anymore and Kindle just werks.

Check out the original kobo h2o and decide between that and paperwhite imo.

Paperwhite seems to be the general consensus here.

Fuck, I got a Kindle Fire.

Did I get meme'd on boys?

See if you can install Google play store's apk onto your Kindle fire.

LCD screens are bright and colorful, and not perfect for night reading, but you can put a blue light filter on your tablet with certain applications.

Yeah, mine says it has the blue light feature on it.
I get it tomorrow, I actually ordered it a couple nights ago.

Forgive me for being a brainlet, but what will installing the .apk do?

It's the Kindle Fire 8 if it means anything.

I went from reading maybe 5 books a year to 40 plus.

I read what I want, when I want. I read shit I would never read otherwise because I either couldn't get my hands on it or I couldn't bothered ordering it online. There are no good libraries nearby me but now I can downloaded 400 million books over the internet and it barely scratches 2 gigs on my computer.

For features, you can play audio books (I don't but you can) text-to-speech and you can right notes or create book marks electronically. Its even got an in-built dictionary and you can get dictionaries in other language that will tell you the definition/translation of a word just b highlighting it.

The main problem I see with a kindle is that it doesn't emulate PDF's very well making it hard to study unless you have your textbook in a epub or mobi format. Also, although turning the pages is easy (because of the buttons) going to a specific page is obviously not as easy and just flicking to that page in a real book.

Don't swallow the memes made by the group my dude. In approximately five minutes this thread will turn into an autistic clusterfuck because of the purists. Just know that if you used them before, and weren't comfortable, then don't get them but if you want to have a crack I way say they are worth every penny.

Installing the .Apk is more of another option than an obligation.

But you can install third party eBook readers or store bought books from places like Kobo on your Kindle fire.

You can research Howtogeek to get safe Apk files from their websites.

You can download public domain books directly on a Kindle fire if you want to keep things simple.

Any reason for getting Paperwhite instead of the regular Kindle? Asides from lighting

Alright, thank you.
I was gonna use it more or less to help me study and shit.
I'm 22 and I don't have my driver's license or anything really. I'm trying to change shit for the better.

Thanks again kind user!

Good luck user!

I spent about 40 dollars on a cheap Kindle and I have at least a few thousand dollars worth of books on it that I haven't paid a cent to get. I'd say it's worth it. I even went in and deleted some files so the Kindle wouldn't show me any ads.

>I even went in and deleted some files so the Kindle wouldn't show me any ads
>I have at least a few thousand dollars worth of books on it that I haven't paid a cent to get

How?

geek.com/gadgets/how-to-remove-ads-from-your-ad-supported-kindle-1451553/

Download books here: gen.lib.rus.ec/

Or use IRC and go to Undernet #bookz. Sometimes you can find stuff there that isn't on libgen.

Enlightened once more
Thank you, truly.

>How?

Not that guy, but I just got a Kindle yesterday and today I removed the ads by simply going to Amazon customer support and asking them to remove the ads (I had to register an account there). It took me 2-3 minutes and zero money. They're instructed to do that if asked. The other options are to either go the usual way and pay them additional 20(?) dollars or delete and replace files yourself, which seems like a hassle.

On-topic: I got a Paperwhite 3 and it's great. I always hated reading books in bed or people seeing what I read in the public transport. Both are extra bad if you've got a bigger book. Now I started reading a 1000+ page book like it's nothing.

OP I'll give it to you straight. Yes, it will allow you to read more (if you're not a bitch). What I mean by that is, people often complain that they prefer a real book. Fine. I couldn't care less. I read physical books, Kindle, etc. I even read books as PDFs on my desktop computer without getting distracted at all. If you aren't a brainlet who cares about "the smell of the pages" or whatever, get a Kindle. It's extremely pragmatic.

1. Download books for free, pays for itself after 10 books (ie 2 or 3 months if you're an avid reader).
2. Backlit, so you can read in the dark. (while your roomate is sleeping?)
3. Smaller in the hand than any book 200+ pages. Reading Don Quixote on mine right now, which would be a bitch to read a physical copy of, as it is massive.
4. Store 1,000+ books (you are in uni, so space is an issue).
5. Tap to define words. "Vocabulary Builder" saves your defined words and you can study them later, which immensely improves vocabulary.

It's honestly the best ~$100 purchase I've made in years and I shill them to anyone who will listen.

Is 6" too small? A 6.8" Kobo costs like $100 more just for .8"...
Can anyone post a 6" ereader beside a smartphone for comparison?

I got a kindle paperwhite as a gift. It's pretty neat, and it's much easier to read what would otherwise be a massive tome in bed/on the can, etc. I don't know if I'd spend my own money on one though. I definitely read more because of it though.

a kindle can't suck your dick so it's not worth spending money on

Another pro in relation to size is if you travel for work at all. You an bring a kindle with you that has a shit tone of books instead of carrying everything with you. Im a short attention spanlet though so I'm usually reading a few books at a time just to keep my attention. This may not be an issue for people who only read one book at a time.

I bought the 7.8" Kobo. It should be here later today. I'll post it later next to my paperwhite.

Can anybody tell me why I should buy a Kindle over a Kobo, assuming I'm just going to download all my ebooks myself?

>that battery life
You messed up

It's kinda like apple vs android if that helps you at all

>It's kinda like apple vs android if that helps you at all

So it's irrelevant beyond personal preference?

I'm never that far from charging. I'm sure it'll last a few hours at least.

But how will i defend myself without a massive book?

I only began reading literally a year ago, It's my birthday tomorrow and the last one I had I was gifted a kindle paperwhite.

95% or so of what I have read has been on a kindle, I have only read three physical books in that time.

I find is that I can't really pinpoint certain points in the books, I don't mean the plot, just when the plot happened. I cannot say "Yeah this happened about a third into the book". That might just be me though because I don't bother looking at the page number while I read on the kindle.

Another minor issue is is mostly a fantasy book issue, it's hard to look back at pictures of a city/world map on a kindle then it is with a book.

Who bought you a kindle for your birthday if you didn't read?

My mom and dad routinely insults me, calling me stupid. That sort of thing. Normally they don't buy me anything for my birthday but last year they decided to get me a Kindle, which presumably was a joke because I was diagnosed with dyslexia and always had trouble with reading and they love to bring that up. The on them jokes though, I actually started reading regularly.

They're great for travelling if you want to maximize luggage space for other things.

What said though is 100% correct, at least for me anyway.

Sharpen the corners of your kindle like a ninja star and throw it at your attacker's face.

Fuck me this is depressing. Fuck your parents user.

The Kindle Oasis looks pretty amazing, the ultimate lazy cunt e-reader with buttons where you hold it for turning pages.

£270 (TWO HUNNID AND SEVENTY BONG DOLLARS) though, way overpriced.

>buttons to turn pages and better battery
>more than double the prize of the paperwhite

Not worth it.

>/int/ here

You're not /int/ though. You're just one random dude who browses /int/ and occasionally other boards on this a Laotian Hairstyle forum. Stop self-identifying as a browser of one particular board, go to your nearest bookstore and find a god damn good book to read.

>I'm looking for a reasonable discussion.

Well, this is your fault, neigh, your fate.

>I actually started reading regularly
Good stuff

I travel a lot and have young kids I put to bed when I am home so a Fire is perfect for me; access to books anywhere and I can read in a dark room

Is dyslexia real? I've read many articles which claim that it's no more than poor teaching instead of an actual mental disability

Is 6" too small for an ereader..? I want to get one but the ones larger than 6" are really expensive...

Why do you put two periods before the question mark? I see this a lot and I just don't understand why people do it.

really? i'd love to see more on this?

Wow this guys is pretty brain damaged I'd say (or I got baited by a pasta). Why even makes such half-assed point and not even link the muh tons of studies. He might be right though if you are a high school kid who spends 90% of his free time on playing video games or jerking off.

Kindle is also better if you're looking to learn a languange at an advanced level at some point. The built in is quite fucking amazing for that purpose.

>no one is talking about the important stuff
stallman.org/ebooks.pdf

>using the amazon store

Where do you guys get your eBooks from?
Just the amazon store, or are there any other websites worth mentioning?

Archive.org is a good website, though
You can get tons of interesting books for free there

Maybe you should read the sticky that tells people how to get books for free.

>get a kobo or some other brand of e-reader
>get your books for free
Literally a non-issue for anyone who isn't a dummy.

I already have a tablet. I understand the only advantages of a reader are the longer battery life and possibly less distractions (no games, internet browsers etc) ?

Why don't you just try it?

E-readers don't have the same type of screens. They don't wear out your eyes.

Is 6" too small!?
A 6.8" kobo costs like $100 for more 0.8"!!

I suspect that I don't absorb as much when I read on my kindle voyage, but the portability aspect and the ability to read in the dark makes it perfect for travel or reading in bed. It's also great if you live in an apartment and need to save space. I don't think you retain that much less, though, and the built-in dictionary makes up for it by making it easier to look up new words. Being able to upload your notes and highlights is also useful if you do book reviews or are writing an essay.

Can you actually link any of these "tons of studies"?

I have a Kindle Fire HD 7 inch from 2014 and carry it in my bag all day. Its pretty well made as there is only 1 scratch on my screen, but its tiny and towards to edge of the glass so its not that noticeable. You have to go out of your way to break it, for it to crack.

I currently have about 350 books downloaded on it. Some of them are not from Amazon, but books I bought from 3rd party sites that I used a program called Calibre to convert them into .mobi files and transfer them to my Kindle using a USB cord.

I actually prefer to read on my Kindle than have a physical book as it has many features that I can use similar to a real book, but without worrying about damaging it. You can highlight text, see popular lines or quotes that other people highlighted, search a words definition on the spot without leaving the page, bookmark, etc.

Also Amazon offers daily deals, countdown deals that last about a week and monthly deals at the start of the month. Lots of free books, but most are either about zombies or post apocalyptic survival books. Very few free books are actually good. Also you can add a book to your amazon wishlist and you'll get a notice when its on sale.

It saves room as the bus I take gets crowded and so its impossible to read a physical book and people will give you weird looks. Reading on my kindle makes it easy to read 1000 page books without lugging those monsters outside.

Theres a blue light filter that helps you fall asleep faster and I find it impossible to fall asleep while reading with a bright light.

TL;DR: Cheap and small so you can carry lots of books and get them for usually cheap prices.

>kindle fire
thats a tablet
gtfo

>i read on a tablet
>i pay for books
holy fucking shit homicidate yourself you nig

I read ebooks on a literal DS and it's kinda shitty really but I do it anyway because it's my only option. A kindle would be a thousand times better.

Billy Childish is a guy with a pretty shit family and diagnosed with dyslexia who became a great poet and all around artist, check his stuff out, I've only read a few of his poem books but there's at least one of his novels in libgen as well.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier
do it faggot

>tfw getting a kindle makes so much sense in my situation but i just enjoy having actual books laying around

Also the fact that you can sometimes find some interesting stuff in used books.

My habits changed for the better. It used to be pretty annoying to acquire books in English, but e-readers made them easy to read.

I've never experienced this. But I adopted to e-ink e-books like 6 years ago and since then, I've read more that way than in physical form - but I still read plenty of physical books, so I'd surely notice if there was a difference. It is almost more like I have an easier time focusing on the Kindle, I can never find a good position to read big, fat books in.

I can't recall what my first experience was, besides "wow! all these books I always wanted to read but couldn't afford to buy and couldn't focus on on a computer screen!" - maybe in the beginning, I focused worse?

I think it comes down to this: try e-readers if you want to. Maybe you'll hate them, maybe not.

You can pirate on Kindle as well. They're not really locked down in THAT way, they just don't support .epub out of the box so you'll need to download mobi or convert epubs.

Stallman is still mostly right from an ethical perspective. I'm personally not ready to put that before reading in my priorities, though.

I'm thinking about getting the new touch screen version. Are the touch controls good or annoying and unresponsive?

Do you not have a smartphone?

They're very responsive and the plastic borders on the device are big enough for it to be easy to hold without accidentally touching the screen. I don't have any objections against the touch screen.

:(

Bump

A kindle definitely changed my reading habits for the better, mostly by making me read more. Finding a lot of English books in stores here is pretty difficult, but with the kindle I can get them instantly, without waiting a week for them to arrive in the mail.

I also find it more practical as it barely takes any space, it has a built in light and it syncs to your phone.

Don't expect to be reading pdfs or text books on it well, it is not a good replacement for those. Even if you prefer physical books, I'd recommend having one for travel and such.

>Finding a lot of English books in stores here is pretty difficult,
This, plus the built-in dictionary is obviously extra nice for someone who reads a lot in a second language.

Anecdotal exp here.

Both my parents have been diagnosed with dyslexia but i never was officially diagnosed. On occasion if im thinking too fast I will write things like numbers in reverse or when speaking ill swap words, usually subjects, around. This is all without noticing it till after it happens or i go back and read what I wrote. Without going on a long tangent this is just the surface.

Point being I just need to focus more I learned to live with it am in college now and aside from one time where I wrote an entire sentance backwards on a test nobody knows shit about it.

Is 6 inches too small?
I'm an intellectual so I only read non fiction which tend to have large and thick books. Would 6 inches be enough to display my books or should I fork out almost double for the 6.8" Kobo?

Yes, a kindle is worth it.

The kindle is a portable personal library, specialized for reading and with a very long battery. Books can be easily bought on it for lower prices, and you can also copy your own books to your kindle. Once you got the books, it has the fastest and easiest access to them, thus it effectively increases how many sentences you read over time.

What did he mean by this?

>. Books can be easily bought on it for lower price
really
you fucking KEKS

PDFs on laptop and phone master race.

>I'm an intellectual

You can't unironically believe that's better?

The paperwhite is on sale for $120 CAD but I never fucking read books but I want to start reading books

Should I bite, Veeky Forums?