How come Catholics are the greatest writers?

How come Catholics are the greatest writers?

Other urls found in this thread:

firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2017/03/god-as-therapy-in-the-shack
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because they went through rigorous education and are genuinely passionate about what they write.

Mixture of gay sex, legalism, and shame.

This thread doesn't deserve more than two replies tops, but it'll probably hit 300 knowing the state of the board

go away, reddit

Sexual repression and nofap super powers

I'm a catholic. The dissonance between the absurdity of my beliefs and my experience with the world drives me to insanity, which then sometimes leads to substantial creative insights and outbursts.

e m b a r r a s s i n g
p o s t

>tfw even the most learned Catholic admit that the resurrection doesn't actually make any sense but we just have to go with it

We admit that we can't explain it beyond calling it a mystery, but we also admit that it happened.

Hate to break it to you guys but ancient Jews counted days as starting at sundown the previous day. Buried Friday before sundown = a day and a night, all of Saturday = a day and a night, any part of sunday = a day and a night. This way of counting days is demonstrated elsewhere in the Bible.

Three days, no mystery. This is why being able to count wasn't a major barrier to joining Christianity.

Still waiting on Protestants to come up with something good.

What does that mean?

>skim Christian sections of stores and Goodwill stores
>90% prottie feel good self help garbage

I stopped doing that, I just go to my city's Catholic Basilica to buy from the gift store now.

Easy to do when your church has stamped out all the competition.

Sadly it didn't. If it did, there would be no secularists, fascists, communists, liberals, protestants, orthodox, buddhists, Hindus, Shintos, new agers, mormons, Jehovah's etc.

I dunno, the KJV and Paradise Lost were pretty good

KJV is largely based on an earlier Catholic translation.

I was gonna say literacy haha
Or they just had access to the resources in Europe after the fall of the roman empire? An education was a luxury in those days, you had to have substantial wealth until the printing press came about. And even when that happened most people still couldn't read yet.

He's right you know.

We should all know that Christ was simply adhorting his fellow man to learn and produce things through scientific discovery (something which requires thorough scrutiny and love of god's ways) which would enable man to do these things they have mythologised him to do (walk on water, resurrect, create food, and most importantly, immortality). Anyone who believes Jesus actually did these things have been duped by the satanic church of religion and the bible.

Proddy literature isn't all self help stuff. Sometimes God is a sassy black woman.

>adhorting
lol

If Jesus didn't literally come back from the dead then there's no point in being a Christian.

well they were all being stinking drunkards so he was trying to stop them being retarded. Even the kings n shit.

And? There literally isn't, like there isn't any point being an absolute adherent to any philosophy or religion. Take from all and give to all.

Any 'one' philosophy.

That book exhibits at least 8 heresies from the first centuries of Christianity. It's incredibly theologically illiterate, even for Protestants.

>there isn't any point being an absolute adherent to any philosophy or religion. Take from all and give to all.
This concerns me. Not as a conclusion of years of considered reading and research, because I think it's potentially a reasonable conclusion, but because this is presented as a starting premise. It may be hard for us to conceive of in the midst of society's dominant relativism, but it's still possible that there is actually truth that merits consideration in full rather than buffet-style self-selection.

And so it doesn't make sense for Jesus' resurrection to be a simple myth or "helpful fiction." It either happened or it didn't. It's not in the same category as the story of Job or Jonah where it doesn't matter if it's real or not because as stories they help teach us patience or obedience. The story of Jesus' resurrection doesn't teach us anything, and if it didn't actually happen he couldn't be the messiah.

please elaborate. haven't read but am interested in the heretical contents. want to extend anathemas to all who read the book or saw the movie.

Yes it does. His spirit's (spirit being the logos) resurrection is a metaphor for the everlasting teaching of his words. Or it's just a way of saying that the apostles needed to create a church in his name to spread the word of peace through this incredibly peaceable man. The teaching was the man himself, if you can't find anything it's because you don't like what you've found.

I'm also interested in this truth but I can only find that he didn't want to work and so amassed a following which would work for him instead by spouting as much spiritual truths as he could muster (but there was a very good message albeit). I don't know what full consideration you can have for a resurrection other than maybe to even forgo the self if it's for the world, as MLK did, because there's a place in some mystical paradise-land after you die. All seems like a gip to get you suicidally involved imo, Jesus should've eased off, ran away, worked in the shadows like bin laden, even though in the gospel of Christ it was the devil who proposed him do this and he refused.

>I can only find that he didn't want to work and so amassed a following which would work for him instead by spouting as much spiritual truths as he could muster (but there was a very good message albeit).
I sincerely hope this is bait. First, "I can only find" is not even close to a legitimate way of studying the Bible, or any other text for that matter. Consider reading the Church Fathers or at least the declarations of the first seven ecumenical councils. The claim about the Resurrection is important, as the other user points out, because Christ is claimed to be God. Not because it validates his 'very good message'; because he is the manifestation of the Creator in human flesh.

>Jesus should've eased off, ran away, worked in the shadows like bin laden
Whoops, this is clearly bait. Shouldn't have typed out above... Nonetheless:

>even though in the gospel of Christ it was the devil who proposed him do this and he refused
Makes you wonder. Maybe his goal wasn't just to get along without notice but was in fact to redeem all of creation. Strange how the Gospels are so insistent on this.

firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2017/03/god-as-therapy-in-the-shack

And this was written by a Protestant, imagine if it was a based Dominican.

I'm writing from the pov of the average christian who has never read these things and just believes stupidly. It's all bullshit basically are you kidding me? Creator in flesh? What? Senseless nonsense.

You don't need to die to get along without notice. If that's the only way God himself could think of then I reject god.

Thanks for sharing, user. Interesting read. I kek'd at the conclusion:
>Without legitimate authorities and binding traditions, without authoritative concepts and creeds, there is no end in sight.
This guy's obviously a proddie, but at least his insecurity is showing through. He'll return to the Church in no time if he keeps (gasp!) questioning as he does here.

>who has never read these things and just believes stupidly. It's all bullshit basically are you kidding me? Creator in flesh? What? Senseless nonsense.
No one ought to believe stupidly. That said, perhaps one of the most influential books and ideas in history merits some consideration beyond 'never reading' and 'believing stupidly'. And of course it's "Senseless nonsense"! That's exactly what the people said as they had him crucified. The whole point of the Christian message is that it's not common sense for God to interfere in creation, but it is supposed to have happened this once.

The rest of your response misread mine above and carries no logical thrust, so I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't crucify Christ but I can only see the religious artefacts of his life as a means of oppressing truth rather than enlightening it. It leaves people to work in little circles of placid content without real action towards goodness because they are all left to believe themselves lower than the Christ. We are all human and if Christ was God it was because he read the scriptures and learned wisdom, not because he was just magically a supergod who could walk on water.

Ultimately I see his message as one of economic freedom (however that may come about) and unabated drive to achieving that for humanity. But that's just one picture I'm drawn to greatly from my interpoprelation into the real world. I don't see much value in him beyond that for he never gave answers, he's just a sort of yoke to wear so you'll work towards a greater freedom.

I'm pretty mad at all religion and think they should be abolished but the messages which are outside of superstition (trinity, spirit, ceremonial things like eucharist), kept for their inherently realisable value.

>implying he didn't bring the sword
wew