Crazy Energy storage

This seems to be a new idea and by some rough estimates it could be really efficient.
animation:
youtu.be/ObvQFX6noDw
talk:
youtu.be/m3p_daUDvI8

What do you think? Is it feasible or bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_battery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So a water tower, but underground.

Squishy Tower Power

D:

yea kind of, but you get A LOT more energy per unt of volume

Hay guys, all we need is a battery easily 10 times the size of the city!

"new", "crazy"

I've been telling that for years.

Yay, this is bullshit, there are better ways.

Wouldn't pumping the water up to the city use any energy that was created by it flowing into the tank?

>new idea
It's been around forever you fucking retard. My dad worked on one in the USSR back in the 1970s for fuck's sake.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity

Seems pretty reasonable, better than solar using molten salt im told in refrence to solar, im not aware of anything close to a large scake model though.

Yes and no, water towers primarily store water, this stores power.

What?

Its not about the water, its about energy storage.

this is probably the most uneficient way. You lose energy while pumping the water and a lot more when reconverting to electricity

The amount of energy you would waste digging such a nonsensically huge hole doesn't bear thinking about. Even if you went through all the effort of digging that out, you might as well fill that space with magnetically levitated flywheels and store orders of magnitudes more energy.

cringe

Seems like it would be way more expensive than normal pumped storage, and there's no shortage of places suitable for traditional pumped storage.

It would be more expensive but figures put as more effecient and its also far more universally applicaple, part of the intent is to use it as power storage in places that dont already have sufficient means.

Op's image pictures said enormous battery, tiny city and a larger-than-city sized solar field.

Look at what it is precisely, pumped water storage is obviously old but I've not seen it done in this way before.
At your link it only mentions the typical storage lake, yea that's old as fuck

watch the video, the smart part about it is that you don't have to dig a hole. You just cut out a mountain and lift it

>there's no shortage of places suitable for traditional pumped storage.
That's absolutely not true if you don't live near the mountains.
And power lines aren't a good solution at all.

You do realise that its not a true to scale refrence right? Its just trying to get the idea across.

Were your parents related? Like, before they were married?

Is this just a troll attempt?

What's wrong with power lines? New HVDC lines are extremely efficient.

>what is perspective

That's why I find the idea interesting, it seems crazy but it's not completely unbased.
Just watch the damn video.

The video is shit and only more leads me to think this is a troll attempt, almost controlled opposition like. Their are much newer, much more well described, much more reasonable versions of what is poorly presented in the video you link.

Well maybe I'm wrong but I know that building more power lines is somewhat controversial in my countries national politics.
Might just be for stupid reasons like people disliking power lines through their forests and shit.
I also doubt that there's enough hydroelectirc storage capacity in countries as flat as france orm germany but I didn't find any numebers

You cant just make more power lines forever, distribution of powsr doesnt really work like that.

>Their are much newer, much more well described, much more reasonable versions of what is poorly presented in the video you link
like what? I'm genuinely curious

yea that's what I'm thinking as well, did you mean to reply to

>there's no shortage of places suitable for traditional pumped storage.
Sure there is. Traditional pumped storage requires a tall cliff. Like hydroelectric primary power, the main problem with it is a lack of suitable locations.

Anyway, the deal with this system is that it scales very well. The bigger you make it, the more cost-effective it will be: you get more capacity relative to the amount of digging, reinforcing, and seal-building you do.

the pumps have to be strong enough to lift that giant cylinder, no?
not sure if that's possible

How is this not going to be a maintenance nightmare?

I think it's supposed to be very crude technology, cheap but massive.

It's just pressure-pumping, and they can choose what pressure differences they want to work with. The pressure doesn't change with the radius/area, only the depth/height. The area affects the volume of water you need to pump to raise it a certain height (and hence the system capacity), rather than the pressure.

Yea the whole point is that the radius increases linearily while the area increases quadratically so once you go batshit insane with the size the payoff is huge

>cut out mountain
>store terajoules pumping water underneath it
>begin to reclaim energy from storage
>mountain tilts and jams as it descends

>Maintenance nightmare
>Only mechanical components are a handful of Big pumps

???

The world isn't minecraft you sperg. Giant, cavernous openings into the earth don't remain pristine. Walls crumble, earth slumps.

Pressurized water underneath the cylinder bleeds into surrounding layers, expands stress racks, and acts as a fracking fluid. Traditional pumped is and will always be a better idea than this retard nightmare.

Even driving a train car full of rocks up a slope and using generators as breaks is a better idea.

This is only feasible on small scales, not the fuck huge scale being shown.

>you get less power out than you put in

This is true of everything.

There's already flywheel storage power plants and large server farms often times have their own flywheel power storage to use when switching from one power source to another during the start of a power outage.

Isn't it much cheaper to use an already existing hydroelectric dam and add pumps?

Wasting so much energy fighting gravity

>This is true of everything.
yes, my point is this one is specially bad, retard

yes, this method is even worse, such an advance to science!!!!!

>implying this circles will be cut like butter (never explained how)
>implying you can lift them
>implying water wont leak thourgh the space, or it wont exist
god what an indian retard

>>implying water wont leak thourgh the space
Way to demonstrate that you didn't pay attention. He talks about how the seals would work.

The rest of what you wrote is equally stupid.

yeah, so you think that will work? some "metal" stripes? seriously? probably you dont know how water ate that pressure leaks. It is impossible for this to work (even if it didnt leak trough the porosity of the ground)

They already do this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station

>>feasible
the idea's stupid simple, implementing it is the problem. Thing is it's pretty risky to build one of these things. Payback probably happens over something like decades, so they need to make sure it will be stable over decades. There are issues of making sure the ground is stable over decades and the stability of the sliding seal. The other risk is that some new technology could make it obsolete.

Frankly my money is on batteries for grid scale storage. Liquid batteries might allow us to build massive batteries for cheap, sodium ion batteries might allow us to get near the same performance as lithium ion batteries but cheaper.

that's how you store energy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_battery

I thought OP was thinking about a flow battery at first.