Could crystals be used to store energy

Just a musing

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barium_titanate
researchgate.net/publication/303732180_Characteristics_of_quartz_crystal_energy_storage
newscientist.com/article/dn23925-light-completely-stopped-for-a-record-breaking-minute/
youtu.be/Mzq_qWIhamQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FWOst4VwwEU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belousov–Zhabotinsky_reaction
arxivblog.com/?p=1183
twitter.com/AnonBabble

maybe in the form of tension?

one possibility is the use of crystals to fuel some chemical reaction which we could use to generate usable energy, in the same way with gasoline or diesel
but nothing from fantasy movies, that's sure

Yeah, if that potential energy is transformed into kinetic energy by dropping it.

jej

Flammable ones could.

You don't really understand what crystals or energy are, do you.

crystals form that way to be in the lowest energy state so no

no, they can only be used for prisons

Yes!
And they are so used.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barium_titanate
Barium titanate has a very high dialectric constant and is used to make capacitors.
They store electrical energy.

I assume the energy density isn't as high as you can attain with chemical batteries though or Elon Musk would have cornered the world's supply by now.

Who knows OP.
Who knows...
It's probably impossible.

not true, look at white vs red phosphorous
hell even diamonds are at a higher energy state than coal, the activation energy is just prohibitive
lots of crystals fluoresce, that's energy storage

That's a fantastic idea! Once we develop that we should make it smaller and more space efficient. We can even use crystals with different ion configurations to boost yield ans control reaction rates! Then all we've got to do is use metal plates to allow the crystal cells to more easily conduct electricity through a circuit! I've even thought of different sizes- AA, AAA, D, and a few others! This is gonna be so huge man!

Shit I just looked it up and it looks like somebody already did this.

E = mc^2

What an original and profound idea

Life is not some JRPG user where the most powerful wizards draw their power from crystals user. That would be ludicrous. Haha.

researchgate.net/publication/303732180_Characteristics_of_quartz_crystal_energy_storage

>Abstract
>As the weak ambient energy is hard to be stored directly and rapidly and unable to drive the electronic load into working properly, a high-efficiency energy storage circuit, with quartz crystal serving as a storage element, is presented. When an alternating electric field is applied to it, the quartz crystal will generate mechanical oscillations of a certain frequency. Since the quartz crystal possesses a high quality factor, in the piezoelectric crystal plate there appears a severe mechanical resonance with a small excitation voltage. In the resonant condition, the external weak electrical energy can be converted into mechanical energy stored in the quartz crystal. The principles of quartz crystal energy storage and instantaneous energy discharge are theoretically analyzed. The relationships between the output voltage and the time and between the maximum instantaneous output power and the load in the processes of quartz crystal charging and discharging are deduced, respectively. The storage characteristics of the quartz crystal are investigated experimentally. The experimental results show a good accordance with the theoretical analysis. A quartz crystal of 1 MHz resonant frequency is adopted in this research. When the input voltage amplitude of the energy storage circuit is 100 mV, the optimal matching load is 820 Ω and the maximum instantaneous output power of quartz crystal discharging circuit is 150 μW. The storage efficiency and the release efficiency of the quartz crystal can reach up to 77% and 71.4% respectively. These results provide evidence for quartz crystal energy storage in the condition of weak ambient energy.

100% someone will eventually create a crystal battery even if its only a crystal exterior for aesthetic so they can be a wizard

why do things form crystals again? charges?

Do you want to build a golem?
And make it out of crystal clay~
You don't see any anymore.
Look out the door.
It's like they've gone away~
We used to call them "Magic"- but now they're not.
I wish they would tell me why~
Do you want to build a golem.
Just a simple ruby golem.

"No, go away."

Okay bye~

;-;

With a soul of cirquit incels.
And a rapid quantum core.
Storing power in its solar plex.
Solving complex.
Calculations ever more~
We could even be best buddies.
If we contract, artifical sentient souls~
Do you want to build a golem?
It doesn't have to be a ruby golem...

Sigh, Veeky Forums why?~

Actuator joints upon its insides.
Lubricated polished stone.
Make the normies on the internet.
Lose the bet.
Robotic armies and a throne.
Draw Eris to the forefront.
Time to be blunt. I'm tired of sitting by~
Do you want to build a golem?....
I know I want to build a golem...

Time to try~

sugar

newscientist.com/article/dn23925-light-completely-stopped-for-a-record-breaking-minute/

Wrong

Salt is used in various forms

Fuck yeah. You can store energy in tension, you can use crystals as dielectrics. You can store energy as sound waves in piezoelectrics and convert it back to electricity, see piezoelectric transformers for example of this.

Also pretty much anything can be a crystal as long as it is periodic in space. You could arrange a bunch of AA batteries and electrodes into a periodic structure, that would be a crystal.

>pretty much anything can be a crystal as long as it is periodic in space

Does this mean you can engineer a crystal out of linked capacitors and then utilize it as a battery?

I am confused about converting energy from mechanical to electrical, arent there conversion innefficiencies?

Another thing, arent you simply better off storing the elecrons specifically by pouring them onto a crystal lattice instead of relying on chemical to electrical conversion which is what all batteries currently are.

To store electrons directly I believe you would need a superconductive material. Any resistance within an electron stotage device would eat up the energy over time.

But Im working from my very simple understanding of electricity, which is that electrons are knocked and jump from one atom to another along the path of least resistance. Im not even sold on the idea of what electricity actually is though.

Following that logic I suppose getting the electrons back out of a superconductive battery would be problematic as they may not want to leave. Most superconductive materials seem to be supercooled metamaterials at this stage, so sucking the electrons in while cold, and then pushing them back out again if you warm the battery. This process could drive an AC current.

Because its the flow of electrons that drives mechanical energy right? What actually pushes them, that force, thats electricity right?

Im not sure how to go about collecting and storing free electrons though, is that a thing? Was pretty sure they like to stick to certain number patterns.

At what state does matter return to a primordial soup of pieces which you could strain and filter?

Look into MOFs. Flexible nanoporous materials that have two stable forms: collapsed and expanded. You could store elastic energy, or use them to store gases. They can also hold catalysts and you can run reagents through them.

Superconductive? Why? You can store with loss. Or gain... No matter what, you don't obviously understand grid enough.

Maybe not. The main talk here so far has been regarding using crystals to store soundwaves and mechanical energy.

I was trying to ask if a crystal lattice could store excess electrons.

Forgot to answer your question. Even capacitors lose charge over time. Ideally you want this rate of loss as low as possible. But what Im talking about is more like trying to trick atoms into holding onto a few more electrons than they would ordinarily be inclined to.

>Sigh, Veeky Forums why?~
>Nausea intensifies

If you made giant capacitor out of frozen stuff, whole being just one big crystal even with capacitance capsule, than it can be easily without electrons, storing negative potential?

youtu.be/Mzq_qWIhamQ

came here to say this.

ZPM when?

>Does this mean you can engineer a crystal out of linked capacitors and then utilize it as a battery?
yeah. It's a crystal as long as it is periodic
>>arent there conversion innefficiencies?
yeah, and with piezoelectric transformers you aren't storing energy for very long

>> better off storing the elecrons specifically by pouring them onto a crystal lattice
fuck no, it's really hard to pour electrons into a crystal lattice
to store electrons you can irradiate a dielectric with an electron beam.
youtube.com/watch?v=FWOst4VwwEU
It is hard to store them for a significant amount of time and get them out without damaging the material

That being said, there's no reason you couldn't make a crystal that acts like a battery or a bunch of capacitors. With the right chemistry you could build something that self assembles into a periodic structure(a crystal) that acts like a battery or capacitor.

I don't know about the rest, but crystals currently offer an interesting means of organizing synthetic molecular machines in space. One of the suggested applications of this would be to make a solid state BZ medium:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belousov–Zhabotinsky_reaction

You have something like pic related with rotaxanes that can slide back and forth and interfere with other rotaxanes at certain points. If you get he interference just right you can get a BZ medium. BZ media are turing complete, meaning you could have a crystal that was basically a computer:
arxivblog.com/?p=1183

Programming it to do something useful would be harder than programming in brainfuck.

somebody sing this song

That guarantees its transparency. I was thinking putting common visible materials within crystals as it walks about (minus the crystal power core) but this...
This would make it EXACTLY like in fantasy games...

Give yourself a fucking Nobel Prize for badassery in the sciences.

Anyone who works with stone will tell you.
We do not do it because it is easy but because it is hard.

Can you go die

Sure, heat them up and then use the stored heat to drive a heat engine.