I'm a black girl, but I want to be the next john green. Is my gender and race going to help me at all?

I'm a black girl, but I want to be the next john green. Is my gender and race going to help me at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

tinhouse.com/blog/41314/on-pandering.html
blog.leeandlow.com/2016/01/26/where-is-the-diversity-in-publishing-the-2015-diversity-baseline-survey-results/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have you ever had a blowjob?

>I'm a black girl, but I want to be the next john green. Is my gender and race going to help me at all?
why_tho.jpg

>I'm a black
>girl
>Is my gender and race going to help me at all?

Do you live in a first world, white country? If so: yes. Worst case scenario/if you're a hack just write a "It sho' is hard livin' 'round Honkeyville" type book and you'll be sitting in every late night show guest chair being patted on the back in no time.

First reply best post

Have some dignity for yourself. Do the right thing and write under the guise of being an young white male instead.

tinhouse.com/blog/41314/on-pandering.html

Quite the opposite

>Is my gender and race going to help me at all?
No. I think most people would be repulsed if they found out they were reading something that was written by a female monkey.

>I'm a black girl
>is this going to help me
Yes, you got the lucky combination. Now just write something vaguely coherent and critical of white men and you are gold.

>t. angry /r9k/ who doesnt follow publishing news

Is this stupid essay the only thing that you base your understanding of the publishing world on?

38 publisher survey of demographics.

blog.leeandlow.com/2016/01/26/where-is-the-diversity-in-publishing-the-2015-diversity-baseline-survey-results/

and analysis.

Basically, if you want to get published, write for white straight females.

Do you have any statistics on who actually buys contemporary books? I am pretty sure it'll be straight white women at the top because men who read tend to read the classics. Of course straight white women are the industry standard. What are you, fucking communists?

Most of these straight white women are intersectional feminists and will publish minority authors for the sake of being minorities. Yes you must pander to them, but pandering to them does not entail what you think it does.

>lack any sense of authenticity
>blame men

checked

I'm American, yes but i'm Nigerian American. Should I just exploit myself totally and pander to gay people too? I'm bi.

I thought that being a young black bi girl with foreign parents/a different cultural experience would really help me

But.. that shows that homosexual people are overrepresented both among the executives and the reviewers?
They are only 1-5% of the population.

glad to know i'm not the only proud black woman on this board! You go, girl!

All of those attributes give you an advantage in today's publishing landscape, yes. Just promise that after gaining recognition for your pandering you'll write the type of books that would make Bloom proud. I'm rooting for you.

>you will never read a talented author who happens to be a black woman
>you will only ever read BLACK WOMAN AUTHOR: AUTHOR OF "BLACK WOMAN CHRONICLES" AND "I'M BLACK AND A WOMAN BTW"

They could always remain anonymous and publish under a pseudonym

But that would never happen

Im an ass man will you be my gf

>Im an ass man
it's ok to just say you're black, it's 2017

Gosh golly - I am a white man. I love nothing more than postmodern metafiction and a big pair of swinging titties - the bigger the better. Maybe I'll eat some cheese and flavourless food! Gee whiz. (me (a white person) imitating a black person imitating a white person).

Fucking white women ruining the world

In the three or four civilized European countries, one can in a few centuries educate women to be anything one wants, even men--not in the sexual sense, of course, but certainly in every other sense. At some point, under such an influence, they will have taken on all male virtues and strengths, and of course they will also have to take male weaknesses and vices into the bargain. This much, as I said, one can bring about by force. But how will we endure the intermediate stage it brings with it, which itself can last a few centuries, during which female follies and injustices, their ancient birthright, still claim predominance over everything they will have learned or achieved? This will be the time when anger will constitute the real male emotion, anger over the fact that all the arts and sciences will be overrun and clogged up by shocking dilettantism; bewildering chatter will talk philosophy to death; politics will be more fantastic and partisan than ever; society will be in complete dissolution because women, the preservers of the old custom, will have become ludicrous in their own eyes, and will be intent on standing outside custom in every way. For if women had their greatest power in custom, where will they not have to reach to achieve a similar abundance of power again, after they have given up custom?

>middle eastern
this doesn't include the chosen people, does it?

t. penguin

If this isn't a joke I'm surprised you aren't already dominating the best sellers list

Have you ever had a threesome with an older white couple?

>buying ebooks