Solar System colonization

What is the most likely candidate for colonization after Mars and the Moon?
And in what order will we spread out throughout the solar system (assuming we don’t kill ourselves first)

I think Titan is a likely option for after Mars.

And colonization going into other systems will start with the Oort Cloud, as it extends potentially a light year out already.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Space colonies. If we can colonize the Moon, then we can make space colonies. Ain't no point in living on a shithole gravity well.

Earth, after we kill off the population from global warming.

Just when we invent proper non propiertary founding of science projects.

Ceres for delicious water and delicious asteroids.

enjoy your 3% gravity and loss of bone density

not if you build your ceres colony in a centrifuge, which is what you'd do.

unironically venus, just remove the atmosphere and cool it down.

With gravity that low, you could set up a centrifuge right on the surface and give people their daily dose of gravity.

It might not be good enough for permanent habitation, but the location is too good to pass up.

>Simply remove atmosphere and add water for instant colonisation

lmao Venus is insanely hard to terraform.

BELLO JABIES

Can we not use this stupid meme until we actually have some hard facts?

You guys want me to give away my whole plan or what?

Step one is fuel in orbit, thats what everyone is throwing all their money at right now. In the form of rockets...

Theres a better way...

Go on then, enlighten us.

Trash tier. If you go through the tremendous effort to make something fuckhuge in space, you build pic related, not shitty centrifugal commie blocks.

This was a step in the right direction. A budget model could be built with a specific purpose, and you want the rotating habitat because the first space pioneers will spend years in space on their journeys and projects.

So you build your first little ship. Its barebones basic, and cheap because its simple. Zero flashings. Things could end catastrophically. Most of the structure isnt even shielded, and when you foray beyond the protective field of earth for the first time youre going to spend most of the trip lying in terror inside a coffin. Watching game of thrones. Again.

But you have the craft, the equipment and a purpose, so out you go risking it all for the big paycheck. And you make it. An NEO your target, a small one but a size you can handle. An icey one.

What you do to it is anyones guess, but step one for me would be to melt that ice and shroud the structure of my craft in it, then cement a layer of regolith over that and fuze it into a shell to protect from ablation.

Etc.

Yes I would fly that ship if I could afford it.

Suck atmosphere off venus, dump it on mars. Two for one find a flaw with this plan you cant.

If we could open a wormhole between the two surfaces that could actually work.

Couldn't you just redirect the orbit of Venus and let nature cool it down again?

>build fuckhuge object
>98% of the effort goes into landscaping

Why do that? Couldn't we just bioengineer some mix of algae and tardigrades, send their oxygen production into overdrive, and coat mars with it? Atmosphere production would be exponential and scale with organism reproduction. We could manufacture a working environment within 20 years and then plant some actual trees and kill off all the tardigrade hybrids.

needs an ocean and billions of years
but there's gotta be a way, some magic chemical that decomposes iron oxide maybe

If a lot of technologies intersect, a century from now it shouldn't be insurmountable to throw a fuckhuge fusion-powered mass driver to Venus to shoot off its atmosphere into the cosmos while simultaneously forcing the planet to spin faster and perhaps even pushing it into a slightly more distant heliocentric orbit.

Like I'm talking "science fiction bullshit" here but less science fiction bullshit than warp drives or even cryogenic human revival.

If we built space station colonies that revolved around the sun off the elliptic plane, would that significantly reduce the odds of it getting involved with collisions with other objects?

>this stupid meme
Sorry to burst your bubble, "science fuck yeah" man.

Would it be possible to aim the atmosphere being jettisoned from Venus at Mars? Or would the interaction of particles in the stream cause it to diffuse before reaching Mars?

Titan is dogshit for human habitation.

The best part of Titan is how cold it is. It's perfect for server farms and factories. The thick, cold atmosphere makes a great heatsink. Further, because of the Landauer Limit, computation is more efficient at lower temperatures.

Couldn't we also do floating cities on Venus.

Is there oxygen on Titan? One spark and everything goes up in flames.

Well yeah but then you're just stuck in a big blimp on a gravity well almost as bad as Earth's with virtually no way to access the resources on the ground

Actually 50km above the surface of Venus is probably the most pleasant place in the entire solar system outside of Earth, you could walk around on the observation deck of your colony with nothing but an oxygen mask assuming you aren't drifting through a sulfuric acid rainstorm at that moment

>transferring atmosphere from Venus to Mars with a kinetic weapon
It wouldn't work, but I like the way you think user.

>Is there oxygen on Titan?
no.

youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M

JOIN THE FEDERATION - RIGHT NOW -

Would you like to know more?

Send down robots perhaps?

We don't really have anything that can survive down there

The longest a machine has ever functioned on the surface of Venus was the Venera 13 lander. It took two hours to melt.

Do want. Its nice to know Im not alone.

Wouldnt a solar shade work? Once the atmosphere cools and condenses what would occur?

O'Niell cylinders. Anything else is going to be colonized either for novelty, for computing power or to rip to shreds to build more space colonies.

It won't condense. The biggest problem with Venus is lack of water. Its as dry as bone. You'd need to import all the water. Which you need to reach the Kuiper Belt first to do something like that. You could set up shop in the clouds though.

>Not using the chad Bernal Sphere instead.

Ahh, I thought the atmosphere was mostly sulfuric acid but thats the clouds. Seems what venus actually lacks is hydrogen. Theres plenty of bound oxygen and some bound hydrogen in the clouds of sulphuric acid. This could be used to make a limited amount of water maybe, but Im no chemist.

Reasons for a cloud town on venus: research purposes, same as everywhere else. Id like a future in which scientists can get sent to research facilities near other orbital bodies for a decade or more.

Yeah but it's just my opinion that Venus is an even better target than Mars for an eventual "Earth 2.0" gigaproject

But that's something for people to tackle long after they've at least visited every planet in the solar system

Its honestly the only option we have for extra-earth colonisation on a planetary body which wont fuck us up over several generations.

So lets talk terraforming then because venus has earth gravity...

You build your cloud city, you hook up a hugefabric pipe and start sucking the co2 up into the vacuum of space where you freeze them into blocks and send them onto a collision course with mars via mass driver.

Etc.

Venus' only lacking trait is water. It has only 3.5% nitrogen, yet that's far more than Earth's 75% because it's atmosphere is 400 times as thick as ours. Everything is there.... except water. That's why the carbon dioxide atmosphere is so dense, because there's no water to dilute the carbon and bury it underground. And the reason there's no water is no magnetic field, which is something that can't be changed without the most extreme imaginable cases of planetary engineering.

A cloud colony could work though.

*dilute

I meant dissolve.

Could a shield like the ones theorized for protecting Mars from the solar wind also work for Venus?

Theoretically. Seems the goldylocks zone also has specific proportional makeup requirements. Reading about cores you need lots of sulphur for a good one amongst other things...

Shame about the way venus works, no plate techtonics. Massive resurfacing events every 300million years...

This.

Climate change is our only hope to trim the fat.

like skytown in metroid prime 3
we also need robots

I remember space documentaries shilling Titan, Europa and Enceladus

>Ain't no point in living on a shithole gravity well.
Other than the resources, radiation shielding, and much much lower construction costs, right?

That's the fucking point retard. No one wants commieblocks in space.

It is a fucking meme m8 since you have no facts to back up either position, but making flat assumptions that 0.37g is the same as 0g is fucking stupid.

>A cloud colony could work though.
Fuck yeah, Bespin here we come

Moons. Especially Europa, Io and Titan. Those are literally the only interesting worthwhile celestial bodies in the solar system. Maybe Venus? If such tech of actually being able to explore it becomes viable, but doubt it.

I've noticed that the biggest problem with these centrifuges are the size required to comfortably habitat one exceeds the materials required to actually build one without absolute total war style effort from every fuck-nation on the planet that has an actual GDP.

Robots and asteroid mining will get the job done, but otherwise, yeah a pipe dream.

>resources
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get them straight from asteroids?
>radiation shielding
Well, you are right on that
>lower construction costs
Eh, it really depends. Building in a planet is cheaper, but you also have to factor that you need to build all the infrastructure necessary to survive down there and the one needed to launch a rocket back up. And if you plan to drop pod everything; wouldn't it be cheaper if you stayed up in orbit?

>have to get people there
>have to build the facilities to actually mine the asteroid
>have to build the facilities to process these materials
>have to build facilities to convert these resources into usable infrastructure
>have to build the infrastructure to get these materials built into a feasible structure
You're bleeding funds either way, user.

It's a lot easier to build domes than megaprojects. Also there are quite a few problems with 0g mining and refining, not insurmountable, but difficult. You also still need to get the materials from the asteroid to your chosen location unless you are building it where the asteroid are which will be way the fuck away from Mars or Earth. Big space habitats are fucking cool and definitely possible, but it's so much easier to dome a crater and throw a bunch of colonists inside.

>Couldn't we just bioengineer some mix of algae and tardigrades, send their oxygen production into overdrive, and coat mars with it?
>send their oxygen production into overdrive
Friendly biochemist popping in to remind you all that the oxygen released by photosynthesis comes from water. Liquid water, at that.

But if you build in space you waste less funds because you don't have to lift whatever you acquire back into orbit.
I suppose you have a point there.

>if you build it in space
user... You still have to get it into space. Even from a planet such as ceres it's still gonna cost a good penny get get a even a few kilos from the surface. To build a comfortable centrifuge station that won't deplete your bone mass and allows sustainable human development, will cost more money that is even available. You don't get it, these stations will need to be quite massive, or extremely deep inside a moon/planet that is much smaller than earth.

I hope we'll eventuallly have a floating city on venus just for the cool cred of having a city flying in the sky (on another planet on top of that!)

But what if...

Well if you go there just to melt the ice out from between the boulders, if you had enough boulders and with some basic refining were able to bolt them together, and mortar the gaps with ice you could construct a torus 200m in diameter.

How engineered does this first thing really need to be? You need fast cheap habitat for your initial workforce.

Implying climate change will kill anyone

Space colonies and Ceres(where space colonies would be tethered) are better candidates than Moon and Mars

Hi r*ddit

I’d rather live on a planet with a proper day and night cycle and the ability to go on a walk, thank you very much.

That being said, mining the asteroid belt is just as important as colonizing mars.

why the only one?

>amount of experiments on long-term effects of 0.3G = zero

Imagine the shitposts
>ceres colonist cucks
>ceres women are TERRAN property

>there is no logical connection between lower gravity and permanent physiological changes to human anatomy

The new topic for flat earthers to jump on I guess.

>I

Who gives a shit about what you'd rather do? None of this will happen to you, might as well shut the fuck up.

Who said anything about planets? Just dig tunnel networks in asteroids and small moons

Kek that's how it would turn out too

Before we worry about colonizing other planets, we need cost effective methods of leaving our own planet. Without an orbital elevator or a mass driver that can launch shit into space, we're not going anywhere.

In the meantime, the first step we need to take is colonizing the moon and building factories and shipyards there. We need people living on the moon full time so we can learn to deal with the problems of living in closed systems in space and learn how to be as efficient and self sufficient as possible. The moon can still rely on supplies from Earth, but what about interplanetary voyages or distant colonies?

There is a logical connection between ZERO gravity and permanent physiological changes, that is totally different to 0.38g. In one example the regular downward forces on your body are totally absent, in the other example they are still strongly there, just not as strongly as on earth, but nonetheless the downward force is still being applied. To correlate those two is an absolute false equivalence you fucking brainlet.

>What is the most likely candidate for colonization after Mars and the Moon?
The larger Asteroids (Ceres,Pallas,Eros...) There are already numerous groups interested in the idea of asteroid mining and if there were already a human presence on either mars or the moon from which to launch rockets from getting out to the asteroid belt would be much easier.
Beyond that probably the Jovian moons

>Muh jelly babies
Serious question, is there any real reason why space exploration would require people to live their entire lives on a planetary/lunar colony?
Consider this idea.
>Send equipment to mars
>Send manned mission
>Astronauts spend 6-8 months in transit
>Spend 2 years on mars setting up automated facilities/robotic construction equipment and maintaining it.
>On next closest approach astronauts leave just as new batch of astronauts are heading to mars
>Astronauts never spend more than 3 years (give or take a few months) in space.
>Eventually have an almost entirely robotic colony/research base with future manned missions simply being skeleton crews to maintain/repair equipment rotated every couple years.
>Maybe some astronauts choose to stay indefinitely and submit to studies on the long term effects on their health.

I have had to go through musculature rehabilitation programs due to the physical intensity of one of my past careers. One of the things we were told was not to nurse your injury too much. You have to constantly test it.

Reason being that the body is naturally lazy. It cant be bothered spending resources repairing a body part if you dont need it anyway. You have to convince your body that it needs the limb, and it will work harder to keep it.

Its a balancing act somewhat and I saw senseless people go too far one way or the other, too lazy or pushing too hard.

Now lets apply that logic to a human body in lower than 1g. Whay would it keep all those ligaments, bones and muscles as robust if they dont need to be...

Conservation of energy. You can go live on mars and go through your biennial fitness regimen so you can keep your breeding certificate current but guarantee your kids will still be mutants especially after a few generations.

The planets will be used as materials to build o'neil cylinders and then eventually a dyson swarm.

And then we will move the sun into another dimension.

>Colonize Mars

JELLO BABIES!!!
JELLO BABIES!!!
JELLO BABIES!!!

A mining colony attached to 16 Psyche.

All the iron we want, conveniently packaged, with bonus nickel and probably other useful heavy elements.

god I hope I live long enough to experience interplanetary shitposting

GAS THE JOVIANS SPACE WAR NOW

>post to a thread on page 9
>by the time your reply gets to earth, the thread is archived

reeeeee

>RADAR RADAR RADAR
>RIDER

Superliminal communication will be created by someone angry about their shitposts never making it on time.

I hope you like liquid methane.

>waterfall bottom left into space

both answers are wrong.
Ceres is a perfect place for colonization, but by placing orbital habitats next to it, possibly connected by tether.

>cost
Eh, that's relative. The USA could do the NATO requested minimum of 2%, still kick anyone's ass 1v1, and shove that other 4% into space habitat construction. They'd pump out 10 ISS sized facilities a year.
But bombing heavily tanned people and staring at Russkis & Chinks is more important obviously.

Place a central hub / shaft on Ceres, allowing for both habitation and use of Ceres surface area for other purposes (like refineries and storage).

** shaft hub of a centrifuge station.

this

a rotating space station next to an asteroid is the only solution that provides both natural gravity and abundant in-situ resources

why go down a gravity well if you dont have to

Too bad, because commie blocks in space is what you will get, at least for first few generations of space colonies. We will no go from zero to fucking artificial paradise with forests and shit in a single step.

Space habitations will make commie blocks like luxurious by comparison.

Think nuclear submarine.