Why the fuck isn’t Breakthrough Stashot well known?

Why the fuck isn’t Breakthrough Stashot well known?
It’s a huge leap for humanity, and if more people actually cared about it we could be launching the ships in 5-10 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/roadmap_to_interstellar_flight_tagged.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why aren't cargo ships powered by wind?

It's wasted money and time.

it's well known though
stupid economics. Cargo ships actually go slower than clipper ships were. Oh and starshot is using a goddamn laser to launch a thin whisp of a satellite to percentages of the speed of light. They ain't solar sailing.

Let's say, there is better stuff, than being accelerating on some laser.

Because the market for moving stuff past earth orbit isn't that big.

Yea, because meteorites does not contain "anything?"

yeah, but it's not practical in the near term like starshot is.

>Why aren't cargo ships powered by wind?
Bwahahaha!
You're adorable.

do you know how many lasers it needs?

I know that laser does not need that dish.

I thought this shit is being build in place.

They totally do, but nobody is doing asteroid mining right now.

Nope.
Big muscles required.

of course, a fuckload. You got another technology that we could build in like 5-10 years that could get something capable of carrying sensors to 15% C?

telescopes

Telescopes are incapable of getting something carrying sensors to 15% C.

They don't need to, it comes to them. At 100% c.

wow, it's almost as if you are missing the point of starshot entirely. There are some measurements that can only be done in situ. Besides the same technology that enables starshot could let us launch a bigger spacecraft to the sun gravitational lense point in a much more reasonable amount of time than with other technologies.
nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/roadmap_to_interstellar_flight_tagged.pdf

Orion drive, you know, the functional propulsion system for fast as fuck travel that lefties won't let us use because MUH NUKES?

>The chad heavy lifter vs the virgin navy ship

Here's something I don't get. Each probe is supposed to be accelerated to 15% of the speed of light in only a couple of minutes. Ignoring how they plan to deal with the fuck huge g loads, why couldn't they just keep the laser trained on the target and accelerate it to an even higher speed? Is there any particular reason it drops off at .15 c?

it'll get busted by interstellar dust

You have to consider the initial investment cost, which is in the trillions. Yes, you get trillions back but you're going to have to wait for months/years, and because space is so overwhelmingly dangerous there are significant risks to consider. How many companies do you think,
A: Are willing to take such a risk.
B: Actually have the capital to make that investment.

I said in the next 5-10 years. Orion is not going to happen in the next 5-10 years because of international treaties. Besides it can't get up to 15% c. Fusion based designs can only get up to 8-10% the speed of light. A design that could do this would have to be very big, which is not exactly something we could do near term.

Holy fuck you are autistic.

Stop bullshiting. 15% is more than enough for dust to destroy the probes. That's why the plan is to send thousands of them at once.

Damn straight I am. Thanks for the cirno pic.

>Laser needs to 100GW of power
Probably because it would be insanely expensive?

Not nearly as much as you think. One of the Starshot equivalents will use an ~300KW laser to propel each chipsat. It's not really that much power.

The payloads are 1" wafers — the g-loads are fine but even with a phased array cluster they have will not be able to focus on it after 10 minutes of acceleration.