twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

obtuse

who gives a shit?

What's wrong with his face?

lol nerd

smoking weed

I feel like the guys from Jackass are closest to anarchists, probably

wouldnt be surprised if he turned out to be a clintonite

he looks sad in that pic, what happened?

You're reading it all wrong.

The Kenosha Kid did him

An anarchist, probably.

An anarcho-primitivist. There's a reason people suspected him of being the Unabomber

He bashes the fed and neoliberalism in nearly every book

In his youth he held some reactionary social views, but by the time his literary career got going he was a social progressive and openly critical of capitalism, imperialism, racism and authoritarianism. He seems to have mellowed with age (he's a father living in the Upper West Side rather than smoking bricks of weed in a rural cabin with taped-up windows) but I suspect he still has some anarchist leanings. In 2002 Playboy Japan published what it purports is an interview with him in which he declares 9/11 a hoax and Bin Laden possibly nonexistent.

Weed makes me really dumb and lazy
I think being a recluse + some drug is a good creative method, but I don't know what drug to use
Any sugestions?

cock

>In 2002 Playboy Japan published what it purports is an interview with him

I have some questions

obviously a leftist, but a skeptic too.
he writes in Slow Learner of his "proto fascist" leanings in College, as most boys of his age and upbringing held in America.
Gravity's Rainbow is an anticapitalist text for sure but it also calls Marxism another opiate of the masses. (albeit through a character)
he clearly loves anarchists but they're always kind of the idealist losers in his novels. anarchism is never explored as anything practical.

i'd guess he voted Bernie

Hunter S. Thompson was partial to speed. He once said that he could write effectively on any drug but marijuana, which was too distracting.

I really don't trust stimulants aside from cafeine

Who is the marxist character?
>tfw 90% of the book's message go over your head
The brainlet lifestyle really is pure suffering

You're thinking of Vollmann

against-the-day.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pynchon_playboy

How could I forget that only one person was suspected.

i mean someone actually says that. not to mention tchitcherine, the "marxist character" if there is one, eventually becomes disenfranchised with his cause upon discovering the control of the rocket state.

>Young Tchitcherine was the one who brought up political narcotics. Opiates of the people.
>Wimpe smiled back. An old, old smile to chill even the living fire in Earth's core. "Marxist dialectics? That's not an opiate, eh?"
>It's the antidote."
"No." It can go either way. The dope salesman may know everything that's ever going to happen to Tchitcherine, and decide it's no use-- or, out of the moment's velleity, lay it right out for the young fool.
>"The basic problem," he proposes, "has always been getting other people to die for you. What's worth enough for a man to give up his life? That's where religion had the edge, for centuries. Religion was always about death. It was used not as an opiate so much as a technique-- it got people to die for one particular set of beliefs about death. Perverse, naturlich, but who are you to judge? It was a good pitch while it worked. But ever since it became impossible to die for death, we have had a secular version-- yours. Die to help History grow to its predestined shape. Die knowing your act will bring a good end a bit closer. Revolutionary suicide, fine. But look: if History's changes are inevitable, why not not die? Vaslav? If it's going to happen anyway, what does it matter?"
>"But you haven't ever had the choice to make, have you."
>"If I ever did, you can be sure--"
>"You don't know. Not till you're there, Wimpe. You can't say."
>"That doesn't sound very dialectical."
>"I don't know what it is."
>"Then, right up till the point of decision," Wimpe curious but careful, "a man could still be perfectly pure . . . "
>"He could be anything. I don't care. But he's only real at the points of decision. The time between doesn't matter."
>"Real to a Marxist."
>"No. Real to himself."
>Wimple looks doubtful.

I've never heard that Pynchon was considered to be the Unabomber, but I know its well known that Vollmann was.

Antistatist

underrated

How do you guys think Pynchon was during HS/college? Do you think he was a cassanova or an autistc weirdo?

>not knowing the lore
pynchon was a ladies man who played guitar for the girls

I remain convinced that Pinecone's two most autobiographical characters are Billy Profane and Doc Sportello, so I expect he spent much of his youth confused and being led around by the nose by politically active qts

Is Vollmann really that crazy? I read one of his shorter novels and if anything he seemed meek and empathetic.

Autistic weirdo in high school. Casanova in college.

How fucking tall is he?
>tfw i know how to play guitar but i don't know how to play guitar for the girls
I wish I was that naive, I guess I will have to just fake it
Do you think he was the class clown?

if you're interested in his biography read the intro to Slow Learner, his intro to Richard Farina's "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me" and his contributions to "Positively 4th Street" where he talks about his time at Cornell

for something less than biography, look out for the buck toothed rascal Heffalump in Been Down So Long.. he's a negro, but he's also seemingly a portrait of Pynchon

The average height of an American woman in 1960 was 5'3". If Thomas Pynchon's proportions are similar to this man, then that would put him at a height of 411 pixels, with the two women at 364 pixels. That makes Tommy 1.129 times as tall as they are, which, if they conform to the average height of 5'3", would make him about 5'11"

how to archive your power level

His early work "You Bright and Risen Angels" has some Luddite leanings.

except this is a grade school picture...
it's 1952 at latest and these are not grown adults

I think everyone knew he was too smart to be treated as the class clown. Pynch also doesn't seem to be unconfident in any way.

aren't class clowns generally quite confident?

They aren't until they get a great and stop joking around as much.
t.me

>great
Supposed to be gf

fpbp

No. Listen to his interviews on Bookworm.

I was the class clown and I pretended to be retarded my whole childhood. I was living a total lie because I was too insecure to be honest and I enjoyed the uproarious laughter when I said something intentionally stupid to the teacher. It probably wasn't that uproarious in retrospect, and a classroom is a pretty easy audience, but in those moments, everything felt right. The room was in my control.

Postmodern apoliticism, obviously. Pynchon is one of the best examples of this. The modernists had political angles; the postmodernists do away with that shit after fascism and the holocaust.

This is the rarest Pynch I've seen

This

fuck all those jordan peterson babies who think postmodernism=marxism

Pynchon sounds like one of those guys who, the day before the test, would tell all their buddies how he barely studied for it and he thinks he's going to fail it and just decides to 'wing it', but after the test everyone realizes that he's the only one that got a 100%

holy...

wow bro r u me

all i did was pretend to be a druggedout loser and got suspended a whole bunch for laughs

>Pynchon believes that modern men live at the mercy of economic and political forces of which they have little understanding and even less control. The world has become Weberian to the core, completely disenchanted, devoid of any heroic action. But the bleakness of Pynchon’s vision, the sheer pessimism, goes far beyond what most theorists of totalitarianism are willing to accept. Unlike these other thinkers, Pynchon sees a life in which people are self-governing and able to shape their own destinies as an ideal that can never be realized.

>As an alternative, Pynchon celebrates preterition, the act of being disinherited or passed over. In a clever inversion of Calvinist theology, Pynchon suggests that preterites, the forgotten refuse of society, are the fortunate few who have received a kind of grace. They are the blessedly forsaken.

>bunch of esoteric nonsense
Holy...I want more....

I was always eager, sad, angry, serious

class clowns always came across as manipulators of stupid people to me

americanaejournal.hu/vol6no2/lacey

Who are you quoting?

Pynchon stop shitposting about yourself

>The world has become Weberian to the core, completely disenchanted, devoid of any heroic action.

That sounds more like what he was ribbing with Mafia's character in V. than anything he ascribes to

no, this is

Why does it look like pinecone is about to murder me?

>Pynchon tried to brazen it out, feigning disregard, hoping I was just another tourist in these parts. I clicked.

>Panicked, he swivelled sharply and beetled away at right angles towards the kerb. I manoeuvred in front of him again and, like a boxer on the ropes, he bobbed to avoid the next blow, throwing his arm across his face.

>Thus covered, a cocoon, swaddled in anorak, he strode away across the street. Again he tried to bluff that nothing had happened. But the world was already different. The game of hide-and-seek was done. The inevitable had occurred. I loafed after him across the intersection, unsure if I should consider myself iconographer or iconoclast.

>My paparazzi instincts had betrayed me. I got no shots of Pynchon's flight as a professional shutterbug would have done. Yet that single click of my plastic camera trapped the first known image of Pynchon's face for more than 40 years. What would his reaction be? Would he have a comment canned, ready to be served?

>Pynchon was agitated. He looked forlorn. For a flash, I recalled the expression on the faces of peasant women in poor counties when a tourist from a richer land snaps their portrait to take back home. I extended my hand to placate him, a gesture of reassurance.

>At last, the great novelist spoke: "Get your fucking hand away from me," he bellowed. "I don't like people taking my picture!"

What a cock, P should have clocked him one

Because the guy who took that photograph of him literally stalked out the places that he was most likely to go to, and waited for an old guy that had a son with him to look for people that could possibly be Thomas Pynchon. He took this picture of him and then went to shake his hand, and then Pynchon told him to fuck off.

P. is very sensitive about his looks, he knows it'd break the illusion he presents himself as an author

>being led around by the nose by politically active qts
God, don't forget Zoyd. Zoyd's adulthood is the aftermath of being led around by politically active qts. I always had this feeling Pynchon put something of his youth into Prairie's boyfriend Isaiah, with his dumbass teenage love of violence for the sake of violence, causeless paramilitarism, and all things edgy.

From "Who Is Thomas Pynchon... and Why Did He Take Off With My Wife?" by Jules Siegel

Damn, I sort of feel bad posting that picture after reading that

damn....

Pynchon is the same age as my grandmother, what the fuck is he doing with a son younger than me?

Actually, if anyone seems to be Pynchon in Vineland is actually Weed Atman.

It's an old picture numbnuts.

Yeah but his kid is like 25 while he's 80. I'm 26 and my dad is 62 and he had kids late compared to a lot of his friends.

spbp

>stole an old wooden rocking chair off someone's porch and tossed it into the interior court of Cascadilla Hall. It landed upright on the roof of a covered crosswalk and rocked itself quiet. Possibly it is still there.

that's fucking awesome

anyone else think Pynchon has an illegitimate daughter somewhere?

wtf I thought he was a loser manlet

>"I don't like people taking my picture!"
lel poor pynch, hope he is alive

Not that user, but I've heard that theory thrown around before. You can find many articles about Pynchon that mention the Unabomber thing in passing.

Anti-Totalitarianism is the main thing. The political aspects of his novels all reinforce the idea that we should be skeptical of those with power, regardless of ideology, and the effects power has on the individual.

in the doc they say hes 6'2

It's been said that he was very insecure about his teeth and while he could function rather well in social situations, he was still rather shy and liked being on his own.

He's described as being 6'2" or maybe 6'3" by in an essay about a guy who smoked dope with him once

>ywn get high with Pynchon

Why live?

lad any chance you can post the full article or at least any link? I've looked a bit but had no luck.