According to a New York Times Magazine profile by the novelist Madison Smartt Bell...

>According to a New York Times Magazine profile by the novelist Madison Smartt Bell, for a year Vollmann wrote much of his first novel, You Bright and Risen Angels, after hours on office computers, subsisting on candy bars from vending machines and hiding from the janitorial staff.

Is this what they call the literary lifestyle?

I write my novel while I hide from the centipede in my stomach which when it discovers me compels me to masturbate and watch anime. Vollmann and I are very similar except I'm a lot more talented to be totally frankly honestly true and noble intentioned with you my dear fellow.

It doesn't represent the majority, but then again how do we know where majority of writers claim their thinking zone? Me, I just sit at my computer in the middle of the night and re-read the Voluspo for the 100th time, after a good several avocados and milk.

yikes

Maybe if you dress up like a woman and run a macro on your enter and tab keys every 10th time you hit the space bar.

>DUDE WHORES LMAO I DRESS LIKE ONE TOO DOUBLE MAO

>According to a New York Times Magazine profile by the novelist Madison Smartt Bell, for a year Vollmann wrote much of his first novel, You Bright and Risen Angels, after hours on office computers, subsisting on candy bars from vending machines and hiding from the janitorial staff.
Was he homeless?

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!!!

>avocados and milk.
do you mean avocado smoothies...? Or do you eat the avocados separately?

Wouldn't this be quite expensive?

The literary lifestyle is about drinking at least 4 cups of black coffee every day, waking up at 2.pm, striding fervently back and forth in your apartment, going out driving, going to coffee shops to get fresh air and cling on to the little sanity you have left, masturbating, and on rare occasions type some bullshit into a word processor.

And here's a picture of Mazzy Star.

Holy shit. I live the Veeky Forums lifestyle and didn't even realise.

Not true. You seriously think he could work 8 hours a day and then stay behind in the office to write a 700+ page novel?

Welcome to the world of self-promotion.

>going to coffee shops to get fresh air and cling on to the little sanity you have left
>And here's a picture of Mazzy Star.

This post was so unintentionally bougie and hipster. You go to coffee shops to "get fresh air"?

Go home, Reddit.

Depends where he lives. Where I am in Washington the tiny Mexican avocados are a little less than a dollar a piece and the really big California ones are around two dollars.

>waking up at 2.pm,
only hedonists prefer to get up late as opposed to get up early, like at 4am

the waking time is really the best clue to separate the plebs from the patricians

true patricians wake up at 6pm because thats supper time and a patrician never misses supper
true patricians also never call it "dinner"

I don't write while I'm at the coffee shop because I find it too pretentious. I go to coffee shops as a relief from my debilitating loneliness. Being among human beings even in an indirect way such as this, keeps me from going insane.

>work from home
>sell software to dumbass american companies over phone
>masturbate
>write 500 words a week for corporate masters
>after that pour all frustrations and feelings into novel
>get paid enough to live downtown
>if this ever changes before I'm finished will probably kill self

You do realize like 3 out of his 25 books are about whors right?

There's nothing wrong with getting up late and staying up late, especially if you don't have a "normal" job.

I live in Brazil, we have a tree in our backyard that drops big fruits every day during one season, and then small fruits every day during next year's season. Also, the markets here have even bigger fruit for less than the price of a mango's R4/kg. My country is rich in its own healthy ways. ;)

R$/kg**

Kys

There is still much left for me to do, so I don't think so, my boy.

and of course, his work is absolutely shit

i like you

I go to coffee shops because the computer is too distracting

This always seemed like one of those apocryphal bullshit stories like Pynchon jumping out a window to avoid reporters.

Not to be "that guy", but that sounds like the kind of quirky bullshit that would get you a profile in the New York Times Magazine